On my Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Back to the work bench. Finally!!!!!

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Amazing how something so small, can make your life soooo miserable, but glad to hear your 0-4-0 is now a runner, will you put it under glass, like 'Coppernob' :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

You'd better ask Mel about her future!!!

Still got the handrails to replace. Dunno why I used the plastic footballs. Oh, hang on.....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Two triumphs and a minor setback today.

First off, I rewired part of Mole End so the bay platform works, allowing the full sequence to be used for the 1st time in a long time! I also sorted a minor fault in the control panel.

Buoyed by this, I broke out the Atlantic and soldered the cylinders to the new frame extension and.... success! Clearance is adequate (1/2mm or so each side) and running in trials beckon.

The setback? The footplate has had to come apart after I discovered a 2mm or so discrepancy in lengths between the body fixings ans their locations in the frames. This explains the persistent short! However, after a couple of hours wiring and soldering, time for a break.

If the weather stays like this, I can see a Mole End session beckoning!
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Blink Bonny

Did you get the PM i sent you?
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Yes I did. I am consulting with SWMBO at this point......
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

The Model Train Detector went off this week.

I was on the Bay of Evil and saw a NuCast K1 for sale. Minus wheels and gears, everything else looked to be there so I put on a bid of £30, expecting to be outbid. No, I became the proud owner of a K1 for the princely sum of £33.50 delivered. Inspection reveals it to be minus one combination lever but I have a spare set of Comet B1 loco gear. Mrs BB said "Ye Gods, another one!" Then relented when she saw it was a little workhorse and had been a bargain!

Even better, it needs a fair bit of work so joins the overhaul queue! Which it may just jump. Better a K1 than another express engine!

Also from the Bay have come 5 Canon 1224s for a mere £25. Bargain!

However, there is one fly in the ointment. Apparently Mashima are no longer available and may never go back into production. So, anyone with experience of the Tenshodo open frame motors?
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Blink Bonny wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:09 pm

However, there is one fly in the ointment. Apparently Mashima are no longer available and may never go back into production. So, anyone with experience of the Tenshodo open frame motors?

Tenshodo - very fast running, particularly the little one. Can run very HOT, too.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Sunday so I thought a little bit of mechanical work to relax with the cricket so I decided to change the motor brushes in one of my 0-4-4s. Then the spring went ping and so did my language,

Change the motor in the other? Good call except the one I got is too bloody big.

So now I need a wheel puller and a gear puller.

Muttering dire implications.....
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

A productive day, just for a change(!).

The GN Atlantic's body is now reassembled and the correct length to fit the chassis which has cured the short that was bugging me! The running plate had bowed downwards in the middle which brought the wheel flanges into contact with the splashers causing the fireworks display. Odd how easy it was to cure when I realised the source of the problem. The new front frame extensions have been trimmed to shape and clearances for the front bogie are tight but adequate for gentle curves. Incidentally, Mel, what sort of radii are you thinking of running this on? I may have to find some more clearance.....

This is a typical late production K's model with the castings being made with a high percentage of recycled metal. This means they are brittle as I discovered with the original cylinders and the fact that both running plates snapped in the middle between the splashers as I straightened them. Even worse the S curve on the driver's side had also parted company.

Also cleared today have been two old RTR models, a very early Dublo 3 rail 0-6-2T (motor bearings tightened with an impact driver I suspect but a drop of oil and some sympathetic adjustment and all is well) and a 1980 Hornby A3. This can be dated precisely because many of its Mazak castings have been affected by Mazak rot. 1980 clearly Dundee Combex Marx were looking to cut costs so they used a high proportion of recycled metal in the castings and....

..... sound familiar? At least I cleared an old A3 chassis that's been in my scrap box for years!

Pics to follow of the GN C1 when the shakes ease a bit and I can actually USE the camera!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

A productive day!

The new wheels ordered for the GN Atlantic and 2 NER Y7 0-4-0Ts sorted. A few small fittings have been added but not much else for the C1.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

As some relaxation I t5hought I'd remoter an LMS 1P 0-4-4-T. Relaxation? Pah!!!!!!! The 1224 motor is too wide ti go in horizontally and the other mounting screws give a jaunty 45 degree angle at which point the motor proved too tall. Currently waiting for the glue to cure then test run.

What's that saying about sleeping dogs?
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: An Atlantic is born!!!!!

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Mel, your Atlantic is once again an Atlantic. Now starts the long, tedious process of filling and fettling.

I resoldered the running plates, filed the front chassis spacer to allow the front bogie to be attached then, as a final fillip, fitted the chimney, snifter and tender water breathers. Photos to come when I find the cab. :oops:

Just waiting for the wheels to arrive then paints will be in order.

In other news, I now have a pair of LMS 0-4-4Ts, one LMS standard, one round top Johnson engine. Motors finally replaced and running smoothly. These cheapo Japanese motors that W&T are selling are pretty good, I have to say!
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Great stuff, looking forward to it! :D
Back to the original LNER colour scheme too. Did you see my last PM ref the livery?
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Yes, you were talking about BR black? So, any particular LNER Atlantic?
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Yes, sorry to chop & change. BR Black would have been a bit drab in hindsight, Green will be much better! Not too bothered about which number to be honest Nigel, so chose one for me please. :)