Eating my own words!!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Rlangham, richard, 2750, Atlantic 3279, Colombo, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: An Atlantic is born!!!!!

Post by Blink Bonny » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Oh, before I forget, handrails are now complete on the Atlantic. Currently trying to remember where I put my table vice. May have to spend money to make some footsteps.

Oh, God!! The Wallet has left home and gone feral......
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Eating my own words!!

Post by Blink Bonny » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Ay up!

For years now I've been comparing the Triang X04 to a Rover V8 - the cheapest form of abundant power available. Until today, I've always found them reliable.

So there I am, fitting a smoke unit to a B12 and replacement element to a Jinty. All went well until testing. Then I discovered that each of the motors had a duff winding. So then I tested a Brit that I have a smoke unit on order for. Guess what? Another X04 with a duff winding!

So I dug through my spares box and found three good runners, so I dug out my worm gear puller with the thought of changing the worms over.

Then..... the flaming worm puller would not fit behind the worm so I had to go on the jolly old Bay of Evil to order one.

So now I hear the Wallet growling and preparing to attack.

With a bit of luck, the new vice will be here tomorrow so I get busy on those steps.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!

deltico12
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Returning to the fold.....

Post by deltico12 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:53 pm

notascoobie wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:40 am
Atlantic 3279 wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed the uselessness of the Police in respect of enforcement of most laws, yet if I happen to be in a hurry (usually only because I've been held up by various time-wasters) on virtually empty rural roads around here I have to keep a constant look-out for Lincolnshire's Road Gestapo. I think they should be let loose on some proper fast-roads like the M40 as they could fix the shortfall in the county's policing budget in just a few hours!
An interesting observation. IIRC Lincolnshire's "virtually empty rural roads" host a high death rate from RTAs which is among the highest per capita in England. Speed is one of the contributory factors........
A lot of the time it is not speed that causes accidents but the inability of some drivers not able to read the road ahead, behind and either side of them.Hence why they cannot stop in time if someone pulls out or steps out in front of them. You could be doing only 20mph in a 30mph limit but if someone pulls out of aside road or steps off the footpath at the last second as you get to them and you hit them because you did not anticipate their action, if you hit them there is a good chance you will kill them. It also helps if you can be a mind reader.I have always known the roads of Lincolnshire as "Bandit country".Worst county to drive in for police action. mind you,back in 2011 all the police speed cameras were removed.Have they been put back yet?

Graeme Leary
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Graeme Leary » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 pm

A gripping series of posts and replies but please tell me (as a NZr who visits the UK annually) which Bilston has these fantastic fish and ships that Blink Bonny ended his earlier postings with reference to? My (1998) AA Large road map tells me there's a Bilston in Midlothian (unlikely I know - as I thought up there they just did deep fried Mars Bars) and West Midlands with no mention of Yorkshire, where I had always understood the 'best' fish and chips came from!

I need to plan this year's trip around this highly appealing (but not promoted that I've ever seen) hotbed of British culture.

Graeme

Kestrel
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:06 pm

Didn't a chippy in Scarborough recently receive an award for the best fish and chips?

Hatfield Shed
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Hatfield Shed » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 am

Best fish and chips I have ever had was at 'No 15' in Solva, Dyfed; located right on the quay of this tiny and lovely harbour. Key factors:
Saw the fish landed as we walked toward the shop, and twenty five minutes later it was served.
The chips were being cut as we arrived and came from a field just up the road.
The weather smiled on us with a beautiful autumn sunset lighting the gorgeous scenery as we ate our meal.
It certainly didn't hurt that the lady owning the shop and her assistant were both fit to appear on the cover of Vogue or similar glossies.

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Hatfield Shed wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 am
Best fish and chips I have ever had was at 'No 15' in Solva, Dyfed; located right on the quay of this tiny and lovely harbour. Key factors:
Saw the fish landed as we walked toward the shop, and twenty five minutes later it was served.
The chips were being cut as we arrived and came from a field just up the road.
The weather smiled on us with a beautiful autumn sunset lighting the gorgeous scenery as we ate our meal.
It certainly didn't hurt that the lady owning the shop and her assistant were both fit to appear on the cover of Vogue or similar glossies.
G'Day Gents

Makes you wonder, why were they working (owning) a chip shop ??????

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.

Graeme Leary
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Graeme Leary » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:27 am

Heathrow to Solva, then across to Scarborough - should be a challenging day's driving hot off a 28 hour flight from New Zealand but not beyond the realms of possibility. (A quick peruse of said ancient road map indicates about 450-500 miles - might be necessary to break the journey)!

I suppose it's pretty cliched but my best previous fish and chips have probably been at Whitby with a couple of places in deepest Cornwall doing a great job too (from memory St Ives and Boscastle) and a feed on Orkney earlier this year was not too bad either.

Graeme

Hatfield Shed
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Hatfield Shed » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 pm

manna wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 pm
Makes you wonder, why were they working (owning) a chip shop ?
Straightforward lifestyle choice, he was a fisherman, she wanted a traditional country upbringing for their children.