Hornby 'Smoke Joe' = Y9?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Hornby 'Smoke Joe' = Y9?

Post by richard »

Christopher High has just emailed me to suggest that Hornby's "Smokey Joe" saddletank model is a Drummond Y9:

http://www.hornby.com/pages/prod_det.aspx?id=1092
http://www.lner.info/locos/Y/y9.shtml

A lot of the parameters are identical or very similar. Also the side profiles are very similar but with detail differences (eg. the buffers, and the cab side sheets). The Hornby page says it is based on a Caledonian model. It also has an ex-LMS BR number.
The Y9s were built to a Neilson standard design.

Does anone know anything about the CR engines? I'm thinking that both sets of engines were built to the same Neilson design - hence the broad similarities but detail differences. Can anyone confirm or contradict this hypothesis?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

The hornby model is the Caladonian loco. The Y9 was almost identical apart from the safety valves, buffers, cab , water filler and dome. If memory serves me right even the wheel size and tractive effort where almost identical. I have some pictures in The book the last steam locomotives of British rail and converted a model Y9 from a hornby Caly tank. I was only 16 when i did it and its not up to modern standards but doesnt look too bad.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the wheel size is identical. The weight is similar (within a ton).

I'll make a note of the Hornby model on the page.

Thanks!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia