Fictional Cumbrian Layout

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Fictional Cumbrian Layout

Post by Green Arrow »

I have been doing my research, and have decided to make a module layout (Due to the small space) of the Pennines in Cumbria.

My choice has 4 reasons...

1) If I did BR period, I could fit a good variety of locomotives.

2) Lack of LNER locos, I don't know stuff about kits.

3) Standards.

4) I like high places and British trains. Can't do the Rockies or the Great Dividing Range...third best thing!

I plan to run any trains I can get my greedy trainaholic hands on, but I need some advice. I have a book on advanced model railways, but nothing on actual OPERATION in the Pennines. I know from the pics of a great railway photographer, namely Eric Treacy, that Stanier Pacifics and LNER Pacifics did serve Carlisle, but apart from that, if I were to run it in an exhibition, what stock would I need?

From

Green Arrow,
No. 4771.
Nice N2 I've got here. Probably send it to 'The Cross'.

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

I could recomend Just north of Kingmoor 9nr the border) you could run A1s and A3s prototipcally as well as J39s and D49s, all have been produced RTR.

Or another good place would be Ais Gill Summit LNER, BR diesels and LMS and Standard mid range (upto Brits) but no Dutchesses unless you model diversions, theres 2 Bridges close together so the layout could be a prototypical length (about 6ft in 00, 3ft in N). I think the Barrow Line would be too limiting. If space was no object of course I say Kingmoor Shed lol
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.