NBR/LNER Branchlines Circa 1920-1930

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

whiskeyriver13830
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by whiskeyriver13830 »

From a contininent away, I have decided to attempt a to construct a model of a branchline representing the NBR/LNER circa 1920-1930. I would prefer to concentrate on a freight type layout(mineral,stock,agricultural traffic). I have a few general reference books, but would be interested in any suggestions for specifics on the subjects. I have acquired three locomotives, 2 J-83's lettered for LNER, but these could be relettered for NBR, and an LNER N-2. At present, I have no other rolling stock. Therefor, I am open to suggestions for same. Thanks for any and all help, Jim
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Welcome to the forums Jim!
I'm the site admin/owner, and I'm even further away (DFW Metroplex)!

I'm more of an N modeller, so I will let others give recommendations as to what is available in OO ready-to-run. I should think most of what you'd want is available at least in kit form.

If your branch is large enough then you should definitely get some 4-4-0s: Scotts (D29/D30), Glens (D34), Improved Directors (D11), and D49 Hunt/Shires.
The Scotts and Glens were NBR types. They may well have been seen on secondary lines as the LNER bolstered the 4-4-0s in the region, displacing these to lesser duties (and in turn replacing the most ancient types that needed scrapping). D11s were actually a GCR type, but on formation the LNER quickly built a batch to meet the NBR's most immediate motive power needs.
The D49 was a later type but would fit the tail end of your time period.

0-6-0s would be useful too - eg. the J36s (or any of the J30-37s).

Later in your time period, the Gresley Moguls would also be seen. K1s, K2s, and K3s would have been seen. The K4 was designed specifically for the West Highland Line (to Fort William and Mallaig) but would be a little too late for your time period.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi Jim.
There are a few branchlines in Northumberlan that make be suitable for your needs, there are some details at this web-site (which is also listed on the links pages).

http://www.northumbrian-railways.co.uk/

The Alston, Rothbury and North Sunderland lines are covered in depth by books from Oakwood press. Alnwick is featured in Ken Hoole's NER branchline termini - which has track plans and building drawings. Alston and Rothbury both had turntables at the end of the platforms to turn locos and reduce pointwork.

Another railway worth a look is the Eyemouth branch - this had the feature that it had no run-round loop. All run rounds were performed with the assistance of gravity. I am not aware of any books, although there have been 2 magazine articles - 1 in Steam Days and 1 in Railway Bylines (1 from 1997 and 1 from 1999 - can't remember which but can find out if required).

If you need any more information on any specific railway - let us know and we will see what we can do.

Andy
whiskeyriver13830
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by whiskeyriver13830 »

Many thanks for the information. I see that there is going to be smoe choices to be made...... Jim :D