LNER Terminus

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

LNER Terminus

Post by karlrestall »

Does anyone know of a good LNER terminus that would fit in a fairly compact L shape layout. A country termini would be good but it needs to be interesting to run and be fairly easy to research. Something like Goathland, not to long not to wide but plenty of operating possibilities with all the sidings and what have you. A preserved layout, which could hold about 3 coaches and a loco, would be ideal as anything can be pretty much run then if not that then either late LNER or BR Maroon where steam was still common but was slowly being over taken by DMU's. I know the time periods are pretty far apart but these are the two main periods that I like :D.

I'm not asking much :lol:

Any help appreciated

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

How about Whitby, that should be quite easy to research, plenty of activity and not too big!
ImageImage
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Karl,

I suggest that you look at Richmond in N Yorks. It had an overall roof over one platform, a couple of goods sheds, a loco shed and some carriage sidings. The buildings are still there as a garden centre.

Another one was Pateley Bridge.

Then there was Alnwick, but perhaps a bit on the large side for you. It is now Barter Books.

Battersby would be good, because trains from Middlesborough to Whitby reverse there still.

I also like Alston because this had a turntable at the end of the platform with an engine shed off it. The platform was roofed over. Still used for a Narrow gauge preserved railway.

You have some research to do.

Colombo
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Can I put in a word for Guisborough? Quite an extensive but small trackplan, interesting buildings and the siding off into the local iron foundry. It's on my list of projects but might give you some ideas. It is also in the Ken Hoole book.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi Karl.
Ken Hoole's book on Terminii of the North Eastern Railway will give you information on Alnwick, Alston, Guisborough, Middleton-in-Teesdale, Whitby, Richmond. Others worth investigating are Rothbury(Oakwood Press book available), Eyemouth, Saltburn, Hornsea. Even the old Derwent Valley Railway in York.

All have their individual features - some have turntables to save on pointwork for the runround (Alston, Rothbury), some have no runround loop (Eyemouth) and some are urban (DVLR). Alnwich was very grand and Alston & Middleton fairly remote.

All worth further investigation.

Andy
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Andy is the book called

North Eastern Branch Line Termini?

This is the only book that I can find on the subject as I thought that the title that you gave was the title of the book :lol:

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That's the one. I'm awaiting my copy from Amazon as we speak.
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Can I be cheaky and ask that I will await your verdict then decide if I should go out and buy it myself. :D

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi Karl.

The book is well recommended. It has track plans of all the stations, drawings for many of the buildings and lots of photographs.

Andy