engines for a 1964 n layout

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

barks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

engines for a 1964 n layout

Post by barks »

hi,
im modeling an n-guage layout based around 1964 so i can run steam and diesels, can anyone tell me what i can run together keeping it real?

a1,a2,a3,a4,b1,v2,
008,15,20,31,33,37,40,47,55,101dmu

am i anyware close?

coaches - teak,crimson/cream,chocolate/cream,maroon,green

what about goods,? mainly coal?

regards
barks
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Steam was being rapidly withdrawn - so many of those classes would be heavily depleted.
Two types that ran with the the LNER that survived pretty much to the very end were the 8F (LNER O6) and J94. Both found work in the Peak District during the 1960s. Not LNER routes, but iirc one of the very last 8Fs to be withdrawn was ex-LNER.

Both the 8F and J94 are available ready-to-run in N as well.

Of the others you list, the A3, A4, V2 are available RTR. The B1 is available as a simple whitemetal kit from Langley (easy to assemble but so-so quality). The Peppercorn A1 is also available as a kit - might be Foxhunter, but I'm not sure off hand. It is meant to be a much better kit.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Barks,

For 1964 carriages, you would not have any teak at all in evidence and few red and cream were left. On the ECML you would just expect to see Maroon mostly. (Somebody will now tell us that there were some new blue/grey carriages about).

You would also expect to see green diesels, not blue. There were also 45s and 46s shedded at Newcastle for Cross Country services.

Colombo
barks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by barks »

thanks guys for the info,
it dosent have to be 64, its just that this was the end,
i want to be able to run steam, (flying scotsman, mallard) and diesel (deltics ect)
maybe then if i went to 64 or 62 i would see more steam and less diesel?
or would i just see more steem?
does anyone know what more steam and what less diesel i would see in 62?
also what year did you see the first blue/grey coaches.?
also what year did the diesels run blue?
thanks again
barks
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

In 61 or 62 the A4's had a final flurish on the ECML, because the Diesels weren't ready to take over the running of summer Flying Scotsman services. Many of the steamers were on their wayout still in 62 but there would have been more of them around. i think Mallard went in 62 and Flying Scot in 63 so you have a nice grey area to get away with running them. There will still be lots of Diesels in attendance but Steam will be slightly less of a rarity. i don't know when the Diesels went blue. In addition though if you did run in 64 you can run Mk2 coaches in Maroon next to the MK1's which would give a little more variety.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway