wartime black livery

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

evansm
NER Y7 0-4-0T

wartime black livery

Post by evansm »

I have completed a 2 1/2" gauge coal fired live steam model of the LNER K1/1 'MacCailin Mor'. I am now going to paint the loco in wartime black - does anyone know if this would have been a gloss, semi-gloss/matt or matt finish on the orginal? .... Any advice appreciated. Mark.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hello Mark,

I think I'm right in saying that the finish would have been gloss when it left works, matt fairly quickly thereafter and filthy within weeks. Wartime photos, where they exist, show uncleaned locos. The quality of the paint was also poorer - I have seen shots of locos with the prewar lettering and numbers showing through where the black has not covered properly.

If you do choose to finish it ex-works or fairly clean, remember the the smokebox went matt much more quickly than the rest of the loco because of the heat.
evansm
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by evansm »

Thanks very much for the above reply - very helpful. I thinkI will use gloss for the main parts with a semi-matt for the smoke box.