Roundhouses in the 1950s

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Roundhouses in the 1950s

Post by Tom Quayle »

I have seen pictures of roundhouse in the north east (York and Thornerby I think) that were built or rebuilt in the 1950s and were a rough hexaganal shape. Does anyone have any information on these, pictures would be most useful as I am aiming a large expansion of my annesley plan. The plan involves a 23 platform turminus which (unprototypically Ill add) has a Woodhead route section (5 platforms), an ER/LMR section (11 platforms served by GW logos as well) and the other served by southern locos and 3 rail EMUs, Based on 1960s practises. I am also planning a goods yard like the one that use to be at Kings X, an engineers/departental yard, carriage shed and repair shop and a large shed area (hopefully including the roundhouse I mentioned) with ER infersturcture. Anothe thing I would like to research is the depots where the Woodhead electrics were stabled as I would like one of these as well. I think track laying and all wireing will take atleast 2 years work before any scenics are started.

This is not all I am planning, Iam currently building a new modern image layout for myself, based on Lockerbie. Speaking of Lockerbie, did anyone see 6201s run over shap and beatock last week? I did brilliant shots, proberbly be reaised on my ANWP production (vol 1 in the power in preservation series) LMS locos
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Wouldn't you just be better modelling the entire British railway network? :wink:
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Tom,

I have two books that may be of use to you. They are part of a series by Hawkins, Hooper and Reeve "British Railways Engine Sheds. The first is No.1 an LNER Inheritance, with lots of information and photographs of the reconstruction work undertaken by BR on the straight sheds inherited from the LNER. This also has lots of photos of coaling and ash plant.

The second in the series is no.2 (naturally) London Midland Matters. As this is about BR work, there was standardisation across the system and so is applicable. Leicester received a new roundhouse and this is covered in detail. So if you want to build a large new 1950s roundhouse in concrete, have a look at this book. There are also drawings of turntables.

The Leicester shed had an open centre, so you would see the locos in the shed and the turntable from above. This would be a lot more practical than a model of a fully roofed over shed, like Gateshead or York. You would need to buy one of those expensive German HO turntables to get the automatic indexing on the 32 roads in this shed.

Sounds like a huge layout, have you got a Hanger to build it in or are you just taking the Michael? I suppose you could have a submarine pen, or even a fabrication shed for oil tankers at Barrow.

Colombo
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The Leicester shed had an open centre, so you would see the locos in the shed and the turntable from above
Wasn't Darlington like that, at least for a while?
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

JW,

There was a straight shed and an older roundhouse at Darlington. Paul Bolger does have a photo in his BR Steam Motive Power Depots, showing that the TT was out in the open in the centre. This was a relatively small building with a short TT and short stabling roads which are shown filled with tank engines in the photos.

Colombo