M & GN 0-6-0

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

M & GN 0-6-0

Post by jwealleans »

At Darlington show today I acquired a whitemetal model of an 0-6-0 tender loco. It has been numbered as ex-M & GN 063 as acquired by the LNER.

I assume that it is a NuCast kit but it may be older. The motor and chassis look reasonably recent.

I've just been reading through the J40 pages in this excellent resource and whiel it looks similar enough to the photo to be convincing I see Michael's observation that he does not know of any models of these engines.

I deduce that this is a model of the Midland incarnation finished as an ex-M & GN example. Having almost no source material, can anyone advise what the original kit may be and any sources for obvious differences I should look for in an M & GN example. I note already that there is no tablet exchange gear on the tender.

I will post a photo later today.
Last edited by jwealleans on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Pictures as promised.
Attachments
100_0306.jpg
(22.51 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
100_0305.jpg
(28.97 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Jonathan,
I hope I can be of help.I think what you have is indeed Nu-Cast,originally K's ref.K28/L16,the MR Johnson which the M&GN used so it should be quite correct.If you have an etched tender chassis it is the version produced post 1996,the earlier had a plastic tender chassis from K's which is criticised by my source. It went as NU092/NC016 and may still be available.Nu-Cast never seem to have spotted its dual identity though Falcon brass offer a specific etched kit (as Class D)derived from their Midland range,so full marks to the original builder for producing a nice original from a Midland kit! It shares chassis etches with the attractive Kirtley o/f kit still available from Nu-Cast.My info is from a really useful little book optimistically titled "A History Of Locomotive Kits Vol 1"by Robert Foresythe. It must have soldlike lead pancakes because I never heard of Vol 2 being released! It covered K's,Nu-Cast,Wills and SEF and has been really useful to me in trying to build up a variety of LNER types.
The kit looks accurate but the tender coal rails should be extended further back-they are essentially centered on the middle of the tender and should possibly be longer.Check also the driving wheel diam,the wheels were 5'3''(21mm),Nu-Cast have erred in the past here.The photo doesn't show the smokebox door but it should probably have dog clips securing it-I think Deeley pattern doors were most common in LNER days.My RCTS shows 064 as withdrawn in 1944 and I think you are correct in that it should have a Whittaker tablet catcher on the tender LHS.If you ever source a casting for these,let me know!
Are you planning to just touch up,strip down fully or dismantle and rebuild?Is the running up to your standards?Best of luck with it regardless!
Rob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hi Rob,

I also have acopy of Robert Forsythe's book but wasn't entirely convinced that the picture within it was the same engine. It is the later brass chassis version. It might be helpful if it is still available as the builder has hacked most of the backhead away to make the motor fit.

Having just looked at Sherwood Models they do indeed list it as still available. Interesting what you say about the wheels as it does look too high to me. Then again it wasn't actually attached to the chassis so that may have something to do with it as well.

Thanks for the prototype info as well. The only picture I found of one of these shows a plain smokebox door so there must have been some variety. I will look out some source material when I get around to rebuilding it - I'm sure there is a volume on M & GN locos somewhere.

It will be rebuilt - the builder has glued it and not terribly well, so it will go into a Nitromors bath and be stripped back to basics. The same for the other two I bought with it, all from the same collection. When I get around to them. Now I've relaid the lounge floor I have a Claud to complete first...
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

i have the yeadons book on the J40 and 41. There was a great deal of variety in them. The J40 should have had originally a different smoke box door, with the dog clip version on the 41 and latterly on a few 40's. They are a great oddity though. I'm having a bash at building a J41 converted from a Midland 3F from Gibson, they are a great deal different to their Midland cousins.

Anywho if you want any info on them i'd be happy to look.

Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks, Simon. As and when I get round to it (it is fairly well down a long list at the moment) I may take you up on that. I do prefer to work from a Yeadon or such when building a loco, both for my own satisfaction in knowing it's accurate or, if not, where not.

Interesting about the J41 - I had thought idly of doing the same thing. My projected layout will have a small M & GN presence if I can manage it and that seemed an obvious project. I'll bear it in mind. What were the differences (if you don't need a short novel to summarise?

Jonathan
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

The most obvious is the way the smoke box extends quite a long way forward on the frames. Making them look like they are sticking their necks out. I like the M & GN as an add on, when i do get round to building my layout it will be ex GER so the odd M & GN won't be too out of place.

Good luck with your projects

Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway