Make do and Mend - now Cattle and Containers

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Rlangham, richard, 2750, Atlantic 3279, Colombo, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

drmditch
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'
Posts: 680
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Durham

Re: Make do and Mend - now - two for the price of one!

Post by drmditch » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Progress to 'basic box' stage.
Post_15.JPG
(The roof is only placed on for photographic purposes.)

For me, the hardest thing with cattle wagons is getting the upper side bars parallel.
I really should get into the habit of using photographs at early stages of a build to check for those faults which only photographs make obvious!

Hope everybody has a good Christmas, and not too much interruption of railway modelling!

drmditch
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'
Posts: 680
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Durham

Re: Make do and Mend - now - two for the price of one!

Post by drmditch » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 pm

A Happy New Year to everybody.

So far, the worst of the winter bugs seems to have passed me by, but I don't recommend using fine drills when liable to a heavy coughing fit. It gets expensive.

In the true 'make-do-and-mend' spirit of this thread, the solebars, w-irons, and axle-boxes have been constructed from unused components from Parkside LMS fitted underframe kits. I had thought that the shape of the w-irons was quite different to the GNR drawings, but on checking it didn't seem that different. Rather than replace the axle-box covers, I settled for cutting and filing the oversize plastic to a better shape. The advantage, of course, of using the Parkside mouldings was that it gave an easy 10' wheelbase.
Post_16.JPG

Getting the new solebars fitted to the Parkside floor was a bit tricky. After careful measurement and trimming of the locating cross members, I fixed one side, and then spent a happy morning trial fitting the other side and the wheelsets. At one point I thought I had wrecked the whole thing, but eventually all was square and strong and running easily.
Post_17.JPG

This will not end up as a perfect model, but nevertheless it seemed good enough to use a set of split-spoke wheels. The original still has these in Mr Banks' BR era photograph.

The 'hanging bars' above the door have been made from brass wire, flattened at one end and drilled. They should hang on what looks like a staple, but I couldn't quite manage that. A simple bent rod seems to give a reasonable representation though. At the other end they are held by a thin wire loop.

The v-hangers on these GNR vehicles have a characteristically narrow shape. I made them from solid copper wire bent and then beaten flat and the angle soldered and drilled. The brake gear (Morton single)was modified from mouldings in my spares box. I'm not sure what kit they originated from. (Unfortunately the picture seems to show up my 'working clearance' rather a lot!)

I find one of the most difficult aspects of making cattle wagons is finding somewhere to put some weight! This one has a slab of lead between the solebars obscuring the nice structural members that Parkside provide. However, I hope that this wagon will spend most of the time the right way up!

I will order GNR buffers from Mike Trice's Shapeway shop. Then there is a little more detail to add, and, of course, horrible clumsy couplings!

I have also started the basic measurements on the second part of this 'two-for-one' project, using the Parkside solebars and running gear.

drmditch
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'
Posts: 680
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Durham

Re: Make do and Mend - now Cattle and Containers

Post by drmditch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:19 pm

There was some sunshine this afternoon, so here is a picture of the GN Cattle Truck with it's preliminary weathering.
(The advantage of using acrylics is that they can be adjusted using IPA.)
Post_18b.JPG

This is a 'piped' vehicle, not 'fitted', and I will add the pipes once the buffers have been fitted. The buffers have been ordered, produced, and are now presumably somewhere over the Atlantic!

I'm still not entirely happy with the techniques I've used on the Cattle Truck. One of my New Year Resolutions for 2018 is to work more methodically and improve the standard of my modelling. Still, I don't think that there is a kit available for this vehicle, and this one is all mine!

Meanwhile, other components have been prepared for the other half of this project. Sorry for the crude photograph, but it shows how the Conflat V is going to be put together.
Post_01.JPG

clive0r
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:31 pm

Ouch, but....

Post by clive0r » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:58 pm

I've painted a piped but unfitted (cattle) van grey!

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3204
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 am

Re: Make do and Mend - now Cattle and Containers

Post by jwealleans » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:12 pm

I believe (on the advice of Nick Campling on this forum) that a piped wagon should be oxide with red upstands.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests