Make do and Mend - Keeping going

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Re: Make do and Mend - Keeping going

Post by drmditch »

Very slow progress on the railway since last year. Chemotherapy and other procedures leave hands and eyes a bit wobbly.
I have been working on some more D14 unfitted vans in different guises. Drilling and fitting .5mm bolts can be a bit expensive with the aforesaid wobbly hands!

63060 - Darlington with external end shutters (and the characteristic cranked corner plates.)
The source for model was a 'cheap' box at the Shildon show some years ago, as described in the previous post.

$3365 - also Darlington built but with internal shutters.
Revised from a Parkside kit I built several years ago.
Work_06.jpg
150337 - Charles Roberts built, and with the external shutters again. This has the 'Doncaster style' corner plates.
The model was based on a new 'Parkside by Peco' kit no. PC61 for a Dia.94 fitted vehicle, (although the cover picture shows a vehicle in grey!)
The mouldings were very clean and went together very well.

The solebars were replaced with modified items from my 'spares' box, so as to provide the 9' wheelbase.
The modifications to the corner brackets and headstocks were where shaking hands were a real nuisance.
Work_01.jpg
Work_04b.jpg
All these models required the central support plank on the doors to be removed. The brake gear used up my reserve stock of plastic parts. 150337 used new brass etchings from 51L/Wizard models.

Th weathering will need re-working, and although I waited for a sunny day the (mobile phone) photographs didn't work out that well.

Also in my list of necessary re-work was a steel-ended van to Dia.171 No. 254837 (built Darlington 1942). I only spent a little time on this one, and the lettering is still a size to large. However, at least it runs better than it's 30 year old first construction!

Also years ago, I was planning to scratch build an ex-GER 10 ton van, based on the original 632802 at Pickering station.
Then Oxford produced their RTR version, which only needed a little modification to the brake gear and an easy change to the number to keep me happy!
I have seen criticism elsewhere as regards the position of the wooden end vents. However, the model matches the pictures I took of the original very well.

637802 is not yet weathered, and judging by the standards shown above that may be as well.
Work_03.jpg
(PS many thanks to Mr Tatlow for keeping me distracted and amused.)
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Make do and Mend - Keeping going

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Your vans look OK to me, I hope the shaking hands desist in the near future.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.