2002's 4mm projects - Pacifics +

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Projects-Empire Ex 4472; grey Woodcock; valence surgery!....

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I have it in my head for some reason that, a loco did actually run in service in photographic grey, but for the life of me I cannot remember where, or when or with what loco :roll:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Woodcock for a short time with green wheels
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Another interesting A4 variant would be the one that a LNER director (Charles Newton springs to mind) had decorated then photographed with the names of his children replacing the locos name and their birthdays replacing the locos number.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

IIRC it was Fitzherbert Wright. What a splendid use of company resources in the middle of the war.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Perhaps the principle today remains unchanged. In the midst of a recession (and at a possible tipping point for the world's climate) the ultra-excessively-paid are still reaping their rewards and consuming in ever increasing measure......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Fitzherbert Wright wasnt he a B1? I do realise it was a waste of time and money in wartime but although i dont think the A4s were let out of the yard and thought they would provide good subject matter especially if you have a terminally sick A4. That would make a good talking point as a static display on shed.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

It was Fitzherbert-Wright on Merlin, names of his children with numbers matching their birth years.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Geriatric progress and still a long way to go, but I've been on a steep learning curve with painting, lining etc. Also surprised how much I've spent on "bits and bobs"!

Anyway, here's an updated shot of the 1925 Empire Ex Scotsman:
[17] Empire Exhibition 4472  4.JPG
And, here's the latest view of the de-valencing project, now officially Peregrine as she appeared between December 1947 and February 1948 when she became Lord Faringdon. The keen-eyed will see that she now benefits from the red superdetail ex-Kingfisher chassis (from my grey Woodcock project), as well as nameplate and stainless steel numbering/lettering (at least on the side you can see!):
[18] Valence Removal 8.JPG
I've decided I like Fox transfers but I'm not keen on Pressfix, having to look through tissue makes lining up lettering and numbering a real pain. It's not so bad for lining though. Also spraying "workshop grey" on Woodcock was much easier than apple green on the 4472 tender for example. Bits of dust seemed to come from nowhere and settle on the green but nothing dared venture near the grey "primer". :?
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

You gave the impression on the first page that you were a bit of a beginner, but these are absolutely superb - by anyone's standards!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Tidy results indeed. Is that livery on the GS 4200 gallon tender as per the exhibition finish? I admit I have no idea. I believe normal "traffic" green livery would have been more complex, with black soleplate and valance, black/white edge lining on the tank as well as the panel of lining, plus fine red lining on the frames axleboxes and valance. Even if you have simplified the true livery I would however suggest that something simple, but very neatly applied (as is yours) is preferable to a botched attempt at "the full monty".
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

You're dead right of course. The livery should be more complex but I am treading very slowly and very carefully, trying to be patient with my own progress. I have ruined models in the past by hurrying, and as you say I'd rather leave detail off, capture the overall effect/essence of the prototype, than muck it up.

I'm learning that by having several projects on the go that I can dip into, I'm less likely to rush to finish one! It's a good excuse for accumulating more stock as well!

Thanks for the encouragement - it is much appreciated.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

In agreement with all of the above...and being able to de valance an A4...certainly opened the doors for possiblities! ;)

Great work....looks rather professional too! :D
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The Empire pics helped then?
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

The Empire Exhibition pics certainly did help, and still are helping thanks, as did a great article in Backtrack sent by St Johnstoun, the tender from All Thumbs, and all the excellent modelling advice from all the contributors to my thread and others. Thanks to all!

Quite frankly, there are some projects that would simply not get off the ground without the support received!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Very impressed with both models. The Scotsman Empire model is particularly well done. I don't believe I have ever seen that modelled either, so possibly a first? Very nicely done.