2002's 4mm projects - Pacifics +

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Projects-Empire Ex 4472; grey Woodcock; valence surgery!....

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Thank you for the positive comments and valuable tips.

I don't know whether anyone else might wish to attack an A4 body in the same way, but I found it interesting on turning the body over, to see that the removal of the valences actually takes the edge flush with the internal body moulding for most of its length which the attached photos show.
IMG_7408.JPG
Close-up view:
IMG_7409.JPG
By the way, having chosen the double chimney version of Falcon for this, it rather limits the choice of renames. I like to have variety, so taking into account other A4s in my collection, it cannot be Sir Charles Newton or Mallard, so that leaves Seagull or Peregrine I believe. I think that they will both need steel letters and numbers for this. I better open an account with Fox!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

How are you doing the other side due to the mechanical lubricator? From memory Hornby use a different moulding on the non valanced version. I still think life would have been much easier using the other body unless the reason was to save having to do the LNER lining? (Fox do a decal) No idea if that moulding is available as a spare.

The new Brassmasters A4 etch will give you the Reversing Rod if needed.

247 Developements do the Stainless Steel numbers and letters for £2.50 less :D
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

You're right on all counts of course mick b. I am worried about getting a good paint finish, never mind the lining!

However, I'm going to chip away at the problems of my method, such as the bottom edge of the firebox and the mechanical lubricator, and learn my lesson the hard way!

I may also gain confidence cutting up bodies (model railway related of course!) for future projects although the lack of a requirement for straight lines means this is not exactly a tough test!

I already have a nice streamlined non-corridor tender, and if I can glaze the windows etc, I'm hoping to achieve a result that can comfortably sit with the other (non-Railroad) models in my A4 cabinet!

Ideally, I would pick up a damaged unvalanced Hornby body and nick the bits I need off it, but with your kind recommendations, I can source most of the bits I need separately.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:I may also gain confidence cutting up bodies (model railway related of course!)
:shock: Poor plastic people

EDIT: I have accidentally decapitated a little 1/72 guy before :oops:
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

I attacked the RHS of poor Railroad Falcon this evening. T'was a little more awkward removing the valences because of the mechanical lubricator but with some new smaller cutters the task was quicker.

Falcon also suffered the indignity of losing its nameplates and numbers, and the eBay-sourced streamlined tender lost its gold shaded LNER letters too in readiness for stainless steel when I get them. (Not looking forward to attaching these).

I also had a go at glazing the cab side windows, (using the clear plastic packaging from the cutters - there's recycling for you), with a little teak paint around the edge.
IMG_7411.JPG
IMG_7412.JPG
Obviously the Railroad valve-gear looks crude, but the red superdetail chassis from my Kingfisher to Woodcock conversion is free. I had previously sourced a green superdetail A1 chassis for Woodcock taking the red chassis cylinders across from it. So I need now some new cylinders for the red chassis if it is to find a home under Seagull/Peregrine (name still undecided). East Kent Models will, I hope oblige.

Turning to Empire Exhibition 4472, a J39 stepped tender arrived today courtesy of a very kind fellow member, and so I am now able to show 4472 with the tender nudged up behind. All I have done so far is remove the tank from the top. I suppose it's a bit like seeing a Sandringham with the GER-style tender rather than a group standard.
IMG_7413.JPG
Oh, and I also bought a bottle of Maskol today so the scary spraying session is now not far away!

All this swapping is getting confusing - please tell me if I lose the plot!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I would think that attatching the stainless tender lettering would be quite easy, as I can see the old lettering is still super imposed on the paintwork.

Did you say that you have an LNER green A4?
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

I suspect the stainless steel letters from 247 Developments are by definition very thin metal which must be harder to apply than transfers. It's not so much the positioning of them.

Sadly I don't yet have an apple green A4. Hopefully I'll soon have Woodcock in grey with apple green chassis. Sorry if I have confused you!

If my spray finish on the J39 tender for 4472 and grey on Woodcock is acceptable that might be the next loco project.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Is Woodcock going to be in photographic grey then?
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Yes that's right. It's taken 2 years to get round to it though - I started a thread back in 2009 (soon after joining the forum) on this if I remember correctly!

There is some conflict of opinion on this, but I'm going for all-over grey (including smokebox). Someone's recollections were posted saying that it had white/black/white lining too rather than the generally discussed double white lines. W/b/w would be the easier option but....
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:I suspect the stainless steel letters from 247 Developments are by definition very thin metal which must be harder to apply than transfers. It's not so much the positioning of them.
Fixing the stainless letters is dead easy and can be invisible. Try a little bit of varnish on the back of the letter then spray varnish over the area. The lettering on my 5552 Silver Jubilee even resisted the attempts by someone (no names, no pack drill but he knows who he is!) to remove them with a fingernail....

As for applying them, remove them from the fret with a sharp knife, grip in smooth pliers then file off the nibs. A spot of varnish and cocktail stick then do the rest.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Excellent thanks BB! :D I like the idea of popping some varnish on the back - I'd had visions of superglue smearing as I tried to put the letter in the right spot!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

First shot of Woodcock (loco only) in grey. Poor thing looks very drab with no number or lining! :(
IMG_7414.JPG
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

The tender for 4472 has had its first coat of apple green and the sleeping carriage has had its roof whitened.

Masking was not 100% effective on tender so I have a little touching up to do, also one or two specks of dust found their way onto the surface as well despite trying to be very thorough. Will now just leave for a few days to dry properly and avoid temptation to fiddle!
IMG_7415.JPG
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Glad to be of assistance and they're looking good!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Hi there,
They are looking good. Based on this thread I purchased the LNER reflections book with the pictures of 4472 in, you have some work to do there with the silver paint and a good polish. Are you going to use metalcote paints on the rear buffer shanks to get them to match the front?

I have not seen a loco prepared for a miniture museum/expo for some time. Great stuff.

Thanks
Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway