Newbe - After N gauge information

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Newbe - After N gauge information

Post by Atso »

Hi there,

I've just found this forum and thought I'd take the time to say hello and to ask a couple of questions.

Firstly - I'm trying to model the LNER (obviously!) c.1930's in n gauge. I'm currently trying to locate the following locomotives; does anyone know if they are produced in 'N'?

- Gresley A1 - I know about Farish's and Minitrix's A3's but has anyone ever done an A1? If not has anyone ever tried to convert either of the A3 models?
- Gresley K3 - Anyone make a kit of this loco?
- Gresley O2 - Same comment as above. - I have a couple of Union Mills Tender drives just begging to be used to power these locos.

In case anyone is interested my loco stud currently consists of the following locomotives:

2x A3 Merry Hamptons - Currently in BR green pending the decision to convert them to A1's in LNER green.
B12 - Union Mills model - currently in the process of being paired with a GER tender using a minitrix tender drive and BH Enterprises white metal kit.
J11- Union Mills Model
J39- Old style Union Mills
J39- New style Union Mills
J50- Scratch built body - awaiting chassis
J69- Very old Farish model
N2- Langley Kit - Unmade
Q2 - Union Mills model with new GNR tender 'bashed' from A3 GNR tender top and V2 tender frames.

I am also about to embark on my first layout in 'N'. Some suggestions on a location would be appreciated. My current thoughts are leaning towards Hatfield as I can get away with running my N2 with condensing gear and I live quite close to the actual station.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, :roll: thanks for reading the post!
Steve
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Welcome to the LNER forums!

It is a good time to be in British N - things are improving greatly from the recent drought!

- Gresley A1
No, but an A3 should be easy enough to modify. There are the two covers over the front of the superheater. It should be easy enough to file these off. Other detail differences such as the dome?

- Gresley K3 - Anyone make a kit of this loco?
No, but one is in development. I think it is Foxhunter and those who have seen the mock-ups say it looks good. However it has been in this stage for a long time. Don't expect a release in the near future!

- Gresley O2
No, but agree that a Union Mills Group Standard tender wold be the logical power source.

Of your collection: The J69 has some value to it! They occasionally go on EBay and I'm always outbid (clearly it has more value than I'm prepared to pay for it lol)

Another one to look for is the V2 - clearly the best looking detailed LNER engine out there. Yes there's the skirt but things like the handrails easily make up for this.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Richard, thanks for the welcome!

Do you have contact details for Foxhunter? I've heard of them but never seen anything to hint that they are still an active company.

I know what you mean about the J69 - I've seen some go for silly prices on ebay. I have to say that ebay is where mine came from for £15 pounds (sorry not meaning to make you green with that!) and a spare body which I have repainted in black (I'm not going to ruin that wonderful GER blue paint!) and will soon add the LNER transfers too.

I'm trying to get hold of a minitrix A3 body to convert (I'm not paying ebay prices for a complete loco!) an possibily copy (for personal use only!).

The V2 is on my wish list - however I am saving my money for when Dapol release their Gresley's in teak!

I'm half tempted to scratch build a K3, an O2 or possibily a P1 (A1/A3 boiler!) but those reverse curves always put me off! Has anyone here tried scratch building a loco in N? If so please let me know if you were successful...

Thanks for such a great webpage!
Steve
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I'm afraid I don't have any contact details. I hear they attend some shows, and the N Gauge Society shop sells their kits.

If you want an A3 body, then buy a Farish engine and use the chassis for a Peppercorn A1. There is a kit available - possibly Foxhunter, but I'm not sure.

I'm holding off buying more kits until I've finished the ones I have already.

Thanks for the compliments re. the site.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi guys,

I've just won a Minitrix A3 body on ebay (cost me enough!) and I would like to cast it so that I don't have to alter the orginial body to convert it to a Gresley A1 in 1930's condition. Does anybody have any experience in casting and if so would you like to share you knowledge?

My current thinking on the alterations are:
- Remove the raised superheater covers above the smokebox
- Change the dome for a round type and mount it on the second boiler band.
- Change the outside pipe from the left hand side of the body to the right hand side.

Has anyone ever tried to mount a Minitrix body on a Farish chassis? Does it fit?

On an unrelated note - Has anyone purchased the new Dapol Gresley coaches yet? If so what are your thoughts on them?

Many thanks
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Steve,

I don't model in N so I can't comment on the accuracy of the information but I was told that the Del Prado Flying Scotsman from 3 or 4 years ago used the Minitrix body casting. They turn up on Ebay quite regularly: you might find one of those and have a go at converting it rather than chop the genuine Minitrix body.

Someone on another forum did a conversion job on one of the Dapol buffets to a blue'grey era version and said he was impressed with it when compared to the Hornby one.

Jonathan
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

For the Dapol Gresleys, I'm waiting for the other liveries (teak + blood&custard). The pictures look great and others comment that they do set a new standard for British N coaches. The only complaint I've seen is that the bogies are mounted a couple of mm from where they should be. This was a conscious decision by Dapol with a design trade-off (iirc their close coupling system and corners but my memory could be playing tricks with me).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi all!

Just thought I'd let you know about the latest locomotive in my collection. It is a BH Enterprises J52 that I picked up last night. It is already assembled and will hopefully be painted before the New Year!
Steve
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by TonyM »

Hi Dont hold your breath for the Dapol Gresley teaks they have been canned because they( Dapol ) cannot sell the maroon ones and they have made way too many. They got the survey totally wrong and have dropped a bollock, so no teaks and no Blood and Custard either until they sell the maroons which is not happening. I am waiting for 2 complete rakes and some extras but according to Dave Jones at Dapol i have along wait. sorry to be the bearer of such bad news

TonyM
Real Trains Run on Steam and have LNER on the tender.
alangdance
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by alangdance »

Thats funny with so many station to chose that my layout is being built round Hatefield's track plan. I am only using the track plan and not doing a complete copy.