Millholme Models coming back

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Millholme Models coming back

Post by jwealleans »

I happened across Paul at Wigan this last weekend and came away with a list. He is 'revamping' the kits - can't say what that means exactly. The following are currently available and were on his stand.

MM41 Stirling Single (No. 1) £ 90
MM23 H & B J28 £ 90

Tenders from these kits are also available at £25.

I haven't built any of these kits myself so I can't comment on how good they were, let alone are now. Bits from the kits (domes, chimneys, etc) were also on the stand.

Email as in the OP. The web address on his card doesn't seem to work.
paulmblythe
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by paulmblythe »

I have built the B5 fish engine. It went together reasonably well and is a nice heavy free running loco. I also attempted to build the ivatt 4mt. The front of the chassis including the inner parts of the cylinders, smokebox saddle and buffer beam where cast as one (very badly). The whole casting was twisted and it was impossible to mount the cylinders straight. The Bachmann model came out and I gave up. I now have It parked on a scrap line as a non runner. It would have been a very nice kit and is well detailed if it wasn't for the poor casting.

Paul
EdgeHill8A
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by EdgeHill8A »

I have built the Millholme Models Q4 and B4 loco kits. Both needed new n/s slidebars and crossheads, and the B4 required a new tender as it was supplied with the originally-fitted 3500 gallon type. Otherwise I am perfectly satisfied. I suspect that the quality of all white-metal kits depends on how worn the moulds have become.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Did these ever get in production again?. A Millholme J28 has just sold for £140 on ebay beyond belief !!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Stephenson Carriages have the masters and moulds and he does have some on his stand at shows, but I can't recall which ones particularly. He doesn't seem to have a web presence.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I have sent him a email , I will update here when a reply is recieved.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

mick b wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:23 am Did these ever get in production again?. A Millholme J28 has just sold for £140 on ebay beyond belief !!
Surely no form of greed / stupidity is ever beyond belief on ebay?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:04 am
mick b wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:23 am Did these ever get in production again?. A Millholme J28 has just sold for £140 on ebay beyond belief !!
Surely no form of greed / stupidity is ever beyond belief on ebay?

If the J28 as bad as the A2/3 and Q1 I built and sold on, then a big yes. The J28 on offer was a very old kit with the chassis still having a cut out for a XO4 motor and the castings er rough/ropey is a polite description !
Last edited by mick b on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

As you can see on my thread I ended up finishing the Millholme Ivatt.

Many moons ago i converted a Bachmann Pig into the Standard 4MT version using a Dapol kit to provide the body. I sold the Ivatt bodies on the Bay and was happy. Until a Bachmann Standard 4 arrived for repairs. My Dapol hybrid was on the bench for fettling as well so I compared them. That was the moment i decided to abandon the Millholme chassis and modded the bodies to fit the Bachmann chassis. The result is a good looking loco that will pull the layout....

Hope this new venture goes well, I have 4 Millholme 2Ps at the last count, all lovely runners and so I can forgive the cab ful of magnet. Crew and a tarp do a good job of camouflaging them.... :mrgreen:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Rustynuts »

Any update to the availability of this range?

Paul
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

As far as I know Barry Stevenson is still doing some of the kits, but he doesn't seem to have an online presence, so you might have to try to catch him at a show. Or ring him up - he's listed on the UK Modelshops directory.
Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Rustynuts »

Cheers
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Is it really worth the effort?

I have two Millholme kits, neither of which I can see being made into a worthwhile model of the prototype they purport to represent. They have been on the most backward of back-burners as a result.

The H&B J28 is a very odd thing. I doubt a single dimension of the body is correct.

Obviously, just my opinion.

John
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Another J28 on ebay (or perhaps the same one again from a while ago !!) already at nearly £70 . Partly built, large gaps everywhere on the castings etc.

Good luck to whoever buys it , they will need it !!.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

JASd17 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:31 pm Is it really worth the effort?
Given the relative lack of publicity for Millholme generally, probably not. It's almost as if the current holder of the range doesn't mind that almost nobody knows it still exists.