Millholme Models coming back

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Millholme Models coming back

Post by Colombo »

I have just obtained boiler mountings and other fittings for a Q4 and an N5 from Paul Barker who has bought the moulds for the extensive range of 4mm scale whitemetal loco kits originally produced by Millholme models. He will be reintroducing these kits and currently the H&BR J28 and the Furness Railway D5 are available. Some of the kits will need new moulds and will take longer.

Paul has also purchased the business of Stevenson Carriages.

I have been looking for a supplier of these boiler mountings and I thought that others might be interested. You can contact him on;

Pbarker265(at)btinternet.co. Please substitute @ for (at). This should avoid him getting spam.

Colombo
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Millholme Models coming back

Post by Horsetan »

Colombo wrote:.... Some of the kits will need new moulds and will take longer.....
I would have thought all of them could do with new chassis fret designs by now...... :shock:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

More like a whole new range of models :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I've got a Patriot and Flying Pig to build from this stable. The Patriot ain't too bad but the Pig.....
:shock:
Least said soonest mended. :wink:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Merry Christmas Everyone
I have a Q4 from Millholme, for which I built a scratch chassis which is quite easy as its the same wheel spacing as the O4. I think they produced a B5 "Fish Engine" which would be a welcome addition to my GCR locos. Any idea whenthey are going to be re-introduced?
Earlswood Nob
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

I understand that Paul Barker is well aware that some of the moulds are quite worn and he intends to upgrade them as required. The Q4 is an interesting subject because the Bachmann O4 Chassis ought to fit. The same applies to the Thomson rebuild of the Q4 to the Q1 0-8-0T.

Colombo
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I had a A2/3 and a Q1 bought over 20 year ago which both went via ebay.
Chassis on both were poor. I never got decent running from the Q1. Clumsy poor quality castings on both kits.The A2/3 Tender was appaling they couldnt even make a mould with straight rivet lines for the tender sides and it weighed a ton.

Tony Wright late of BRM says similar in his book LNER Pacifics I quote

re A2/3 " if you ever come across one of these kits on a secondhand stall, leave well alone! Unless they are free-in which case the thick metal makes excellent ballast onc its pounded up or melted down!"

Two were enough for me and have never touched another one since or will again :shock: :shock:
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Merry christmas all
I built the Q4 with its original brass plate chassis which was slightly better than a Kay's nuclear proof plate chassis. It ran quite well, but it had an X-04 type motor which sat on rather than in the chassis. I cut some thinner brass chassis sides to enable a Mashima motor and High Level gearbox (54:1) to be fitted. The tender wasn't too bad and had etched coal rails, but was improved by the addition of a Comet chassis.
Earlswood Nob
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Best of luck to him,always better to see a range of kits coming back rather than going away!...I have built two N4's,now with SEF I gather and improved, plus the Q4...a good kit I thought,nice cylinder/crosshead arrangement but difficult to get it up under the cast footplate enough....weighs a ton,great pulling power.
I've also built the J28,loads of optional parts but something not quite right overall...fit of parts seemed marginally "off" allround and the loco has always looked to me slightly large,like its to 4.15mm to the foot....I think I've a photo on my workbench thread of both...if not I may try to get them up here....
My guess is that a good lot of the masters for this range were originally quite good and with suitable refreshing and possibly new etches for chassis and details Millholme could turn out some very useful kits.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

rob wrote:Best of luck to him,always better to see a range of kits coming back rather than going away!
Funny that people don't say this about Ford Anglias or twin tub washing machines.......
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

[quote="Bill BedfordFunny that people don't say this about Ford Anglias or twin tub washing machines.......[/quote]

Whats wrong with a Ford Anglia? Although to be fair I do prefer MGB's and Triumph Spitfires!!!! :lol:
Steve
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atso wrote:[quote="Bill BedfordFunny that people don't say this about Ford Anglias or twin tub washing machines.......
Whats wrong with a Ford Anglia? Although to be fair I do prefer MGB's and Triumph Spitfires!!!! :lol:[/quote]
#

Normally full of rust, lots of filler and none of the panel lines are a good fit :lol:
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

mick b wrote:Normally full of rust, lots of filler and none of the panel lines are a good fit :lol:
Doesn't that some up most 50s, 60s and 70s cars?

RUST - Rust, usual Sixties (or Seventies) trait!
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Bill Bedford wrote:
rob wrote:Best of luck to him,always better to see a range of kits coming back rather than going away!
Funny that people don't say this about Ford Anglias or twin tub washing machines.......
....or MTK kits.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Horsetan wrote: Or MTK kits.
Or even Q kits - we've been trying to sell one on the club stand here at Wolves for years. Not even YT, known purchaser of dodgy kits, will touch it with the proverbial bargepole!