Hornby LNER Pacifics Discussion

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Hornby LNER Pacifics Discussion

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Nova wrote:I feel like you have largely missed the point of the question.

I'm only 20, very soon to be 21, with nowhere near the skill level other users on this forum have, for that matter my total number of usable LNER locos comes to 1, and that's just an N2. The most I feel confident with my current skill level in doing is fitting a double chimney (if the single is removable) and smoke deflectors. I don't feel confident that I can totally disassemble the bodyshell from a model that currently sells brand new for £160 with the promise that it will look better than when it was fresh out the box.

What I need is a hornby A3 that, mould/assembly issues aside, represents an A3 in it's final condition. I'm not fussed over whether the running board is totally straight or if the boiler is a perfect fit. :x

the point is will people look at the finished post-war LNER green livery model regardless of defects and go "that's a BR A3 in apple green"?

furthermore, can the models I linked above be modified with the above stated fitting of double chimney and smoke deflectors, to represent an A3 in its final form?

that was what I originally asked. not whether the bodyshell is perfectly moulded.
I would hardly call myself a good modeller, but the Railroad Flying Scotsman represents an excellent starting point for young modellers to try out their skills on. I used it to create no.97 Humorist as a prototype for the fleet of A10s and A3s I have been making.

Humorist

ECML Pacifics

An alternative, should you wish it. The odds and sods which I bought to create these models added up to around £30 across the eight Pacifics. I have finished four of them now - three wartime black, and Humorist in apple green. The last four are in the final stages before painting, more or less.
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Hornby LNER Pacifics Discussion

Post by Nova »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:
Nova wrote:I feel like you have largely missed the point of the question.

I'm only 20, very soon to be 21, with nowhere near the skill level other users on this forum have, for that matter my total number of usable LNER locos comes to 1, and that's just an N2. The most I feel confident with my current skill level in doing is fitting a double chimney (if the single is removable) and smoke deflectors. I don't feel confident that I can totally disassemble the bodyshell from a model that currently sells brand new for £160 with the promise that it will look better than when it was fresh out the box.

What I need is a hornby A3 that, mould/assembly issues aside, represents an A3 in it's final condition. I'm not fussed over whether the running board is totally straight or if the boiler is a perfect fit. :x

the point is will people look at the finished post-war LNER green livery model regardless of defects and go "that's a BR A3 in apple green"?

furthermore, can the models I linked above be modified with the above stated fitting of double chimney and smoke deflectors, to represent an A3 in its final form?

that was what I originally asked. not whether the bodyshell is perfectly moulded.
I would hardly call myself a good modeller, but the Railroad Flying Scotsman represents an excellent starting point for young modellers to try out their skills on. I used it to create no.97 Humorist as a prototype for the fleet of A10s and A3s I have been making.

Humorist

ECML Pacifics

An alternative, should you wish it. The odds and sods which I bought to create these models added up to around £30 across the eight Pacifics. I have finished four of them now - three wartime black, and Humorist in apple green. The last four are in the final stages before painting, more or less.
I'll attempt such a conversion at some point, but I'd rather have my first A3 be one of the glorious super detail models that only require the addition of a double chimney and smoke deflectors (plus brassmasters details) and a new coat of paint, rather than a serious conversion job in the case of the railroad model.

besides, I'll now be getting a Bachmann A2 in LNER livery, makes things simpler in the short run. the A3 can come at a later date
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947