Hornby LNER Pacifics Discussion

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Hornby LNER Pacifics Discussion

Post by Dave S »

Nova wrote:
Dave S wrote:
I can't answer that question.........but.

why not? it's a simple question, from my viewpoint everyone just seems to be getting caught up on the warped running board and not giving me a straight answer, which is starting to make me feel like I'm going in circles.
The simple reason I can't answer that question is because it's not my subject.

Hence my pointer towards doing a bit of straightforward research.
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

Sea Eagle wrote: The point about the NRM Scotsman is that it IS effectively a final condition A3 in apple green. It even has a speedo cable and AWS. Remember this is a model of a preserved loco, which has deliberately been restored to its most highly developed form. There really is no easier way to achieve the result I think you want
maybe, however Minoru is available for a reasonable price with multiple in stock, so it may still be available when I come to actually buy an A3 (it may be a few months before I get one). however if the NRM model is available for a good or better price I may get that instead.

it's a case of what's available at the time for how good a price.
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Nova

Post by Nova »

slightly on the same topic. should I acquire a BR condition A3 I'll need a few things and preliminary searching has brought up nothing.

1. is there anywhere I can obtain a spare super detail smokebox door that does not have the numberplate.
2. are there any brass smoke deflectors available as detailing parts, I feel brass would look a lot finer than plastic.
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Before i get shouted at for asking the question. was there a list compiled for the A1/A3 variations. The reason i ask is i have recently purchased a Tender drive Scotsman with round dome and corridor tender for peanuts and would like to know if it would minus the tender be suitable for a conversion to a 1947 No.66 Merry Hampton. I have looked at the green books and cant seem to find definitive information.
Regarding the tender any suggestions on conversion or what is suitable RTR to do a swap. i dont mind repainting if a suitable RTR version can be found.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

RCTS part 2A has a full list in the rear. If you haven't got that part I will have a look.
Sea Eagle
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sea Eagle »

52D wrote: i have recently purchased a Tender drive Scotsman with round dome and corridor tender for peanuts and would like to know if it would minus the tender be suitable for a conversion to a 1947 No.66 Merry Hampton. I have looked at the green books and cant seem to find definitive information.
Regarding the tender any suggestions on conversion or what is suitable RTR to do a swap. i dont mind repainting if a suitable RTR version can be found.
Merry Hampton was fitted with a diagram 94a boiler at the end of 1945 - this is the type with a banjo dome as well as the prominent square superheater header covers on each side of the smoke box behind the chimney. She ran with a GNR type tender from 1929 for the rest of her working life - this is the type with low sides and prominent coal rails along the tops of both tender sides and to the rear. By the war she would have had the higher (smaller) cutouts to the rear of the cab. For absolute accuracy she also had a different shaped reversing rod to Flying Scotsman - common to the locos of this class that were originally built by the North British Locomotive Company.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

If I'm not mistaken, Merry Hampton acquired, at some stage of it's life, the unique high cab-ventilator previously fitted to St Simon. Again it's something that I'm sure RCTS part 2A mentions.

Good Luck
Sea Eagle
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sea Eagle »

STAFFORDA4 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Merry Hampton acquired, at some stage of it's life, the unique high cab-ventilator previously fitted to St Simon. Again it's something that I'm sure RCTS part 2A mentions.

Good Luck
Yes - StaffordA4 is correct. According to "The Power of the A3s" Merry Hampton was involved in an accident in October 1947 - she overturned and the cab was wrecked. When the loco returned to service in January 1948 she had been fitted with the one-off high ventilator cab, which is quite distinctive. A photograph is included in the book. I've had a quick glance at Yeadon's and RCTS 2A and can't find any further reference to this incident, but might not have looked closely enough. The dates are consistent with a general overhaul.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks guys time for a rethink, i only bought it cos it was so cheap. Its my first Big loco.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
AlHo
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by AlHo »

Nova wrote:slightly on the same topic. should I acquire a BR condition A3 I'll need a few things and preliminary searching has brought up nothing.

1. is there anywhere I can obtain a spare super detail smokebox door that does not have the numberplate.
2. are there any brass smoke deflectors available as detailing parts, I feel brass would look a lot finer than plastic.
Hi, don't know if you are still looking but Brassmasters do and etch with the German style smoke deflectors. Also contains an etch for the front frame which improves the appearance a lot by removing the gap above the bogies. Well worth a tenner anyway.
AlHo
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by AlHo »

Hi,

After reading through this forum I realised that A3 locos built at North British had worksplates on the central splasher - I had never noticed this in pics before. I have a model of St Gatien 60073 but this does not have any worksplates on (whereas white knight does). From closer inspection of prototype pics it looks like they should be there. Does anyone know if this is correct and whether they should be of an oval type or the rhombus shape of plates? Thanks
Nova

Post by Nova »

AlHo wrote:
Nova wrote:slightly on the same topic. should I acquire a BR condition A3 I'll need a few things and preliminary searching has brought up nothing.

Hi, don't know if you are still looking but Brassmasters do and etch with the German style smoke deflectors. Also contains an etch for the front frame which improves the appearance a lot by removing the gap above the bogies. Well worth a tenner anyway.
I'd already since become aware of brassmasters, but thanks anyway

Nova

Post by Nova »

Related to the previous comment, is there anyone who sells Double chimneys to suit the A3? I've already checked the likes of Allan Gibson and SEF with no success

UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

PDF download from Perseverance Kits at http://www.perseverancekits.co.uk/. Whitemetal A3 double chimney at £2.
Nova

Post by Nova »

UpDistant wrote:PDF download from Perseverance Kits at http://www.perseverancekits.co.uk/. Whitemetal A3 double chimney at £2.
Thank you