My models (some LNER)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: My models (some LNER)

Post by PGBerrie »

Interesting! I googled for "05002 record run" and it came up with the book "Gaints of Steam" where there is quite a bit about the runs as well as a quote from a book written by someone who was there. This might take you there: https://books.google.ch/books?id=fKiWAw ... un&f=false. Scroll five or six pages up to get the up to get to the beginning of the piece.

This also says that that the dynamometer car was attached. According to the German Wikipedia entry it seems the record was accidental as it followed a signal check and they just found they were running extremely well that day (11th May 1936). Considering who was on board, you would expect a picture somewhere. On the other hand, if it wasn't an official attempt on the record, why should there be. If you scroll down, you find that Stanier and Cecil J Allen were also on the train later in the month.

Peter
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

Another account here: http://www.germansteam.co.uk/german-ste ... tloco.html and pictures (search for 05 002), with Messzug and champaign reception, here: http://www.eisenbahnstiftung.de/bildergalerie.

Peter
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for that information. It nicely contradicts my German book, complete with information from the same source - Paul Roth. Oh well. Lessons to be learned all around for me on this one, I think.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Oh well. Incorrect information notwithstanding, here is my take on the Deutsche Reichsbahn world steam record holder and train. Much more suitable coaches will be found in light of the more accurate information coming to light. When I get chance I may do a photo comparison with Mallard, and our available coaches for her.

https://youtu.be/2Chdqf1vTlI
Attachments
The full train - according to my incorrect information.
The full train - according to my incorrect information.
The final coupling solution.
The final coupling solution.
Coupled
Coupled
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

A long time since I've posted anything, I see. Not for lack of any modelling, more for a lack of anything relevant. The projects are being ticked off of the list, slowly, with a couple of stickers - the Coronation set is now firmly on the back-burner with all of the shenanigans going on with Cooper-Craft; the Brake Third twins I was hoping to produce for Ruddington have also had to be put on the back-burner for the same reason.

Bulleid's Leader is now completed, and behaves just like the prototype - cantankerous at best.
GCR coal wagons now have a bogie brake van to go with them, and are waiting to be loaded.
The ex-CR coaches are on their way with the brake having had its bogies replaced with 6-wheel units.
Small change of plan for the ex-GNR Howlden coaches - the brake may be the one to receive the 6-wheel bogies now, not the composite, but we shall see.
Dominion of Canada is on the back-burner also while I clear the deck of the more recent projects.

As always, picture to follow after a running session tomorrow.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Small note for anyone interested - the Howlden clerestories have been abandoned (for now), with the donor vehicles being doubled up and forming the basis of a 'quickie' conversion to form the brake third twins which saw service on the GC section - two are noted as being on the Leicester-Manchester service in 1951 with 2 corridor composites and 2 corridor thirds between them.

Does anyone here know of a kit for the three and a half First class and four Third class compartment version?
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Stirling Single

Post by Manxman1831 »

Finally got my model of the old girl. Runs fine but has the same grating noise near the motor area as my APT-E before I opened it up and oiled the bearings. So now the conundrum - how on earth to get into the model to get at those all important bearings?
Brian

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Stirling Single

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Yes indeed, how to get inside. The documentation overall to a well above average standard. Lack of an assembly/parts diagram is the flaw.

Mine started with a little gear noise, but after twenty minutes of fore and aft alternations at a modest speed completely quieted, so I concluded probably caused by grease needing to be dispersed arond the gear train. But I would like some 'how to get inside guidance', and have written to Rapido asking if a diagram might be made accessible on line at least.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

New (to me) LNER models in the offing.

Post by Manxman1831 »

Evening all. Long time no posting of my usual tripe. Been counting off the minutes since we had a decent running-in session for the public down at Ruddington, but that doesn't quite mean that I've been sitting back and enjoying the view out of the window. As I have been steadily building up a supply of kits and conversions to tide me over once the list of new-builds get cleared, I thought that I'd list the current state of play:-

LNER (ex-GC) B3 Valour - suitable donor tender (ex-O4 so will require modifications) to go with the G-Trains kit. Next up in the list of builds.
LNER (ex-GC) Parker brake first - looks quite straightforward as kits go. This will go nicely with a trio of Hornby (ex-Triang) GWR clerestory composites - to be suitably repainted and labelled.
LNER (ex-GC) Pollitt X4 - DJH D6 and suitable LotI chassis purchased (this one has been the most elusive to acquire the parts for).

That's about it as far as LNER models go. I have others which may get aired on here as I go.
Brian

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Hopefully Ruddington will be back on its feet in the not-too-distant future, the guys restoring the GCR carriages and the 567 group both seem to be fairly champing at the bit to get back. (Was it really only last October I last visited? It seems so much longer ago).
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hi James, from what I can gather the site is preparing to reopen in the not too distant future, albeit with major changes to the norm - limtied access to the workshop area, no mainline trains running and only toilets available are allegedly going to be those down by the model and miniature railways. Such instructions may change during what is left of this year, but watch this space.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Quick question for the all-knowing-ones - GCR cabside numberplates, does anyone still produce them in 4mm? In particular I'm after a pair for Pollitt X4, number 968.
Brian

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

The oval type that Robinson introduced are available from Narrow Planet: https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collect ... ts/npp-413
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Thank you, James. I got hold of the GCRS, and a couple of their members reccommended both Narrow Planet and GuilPlates. I placed an order with NP as I require plates for a couple of other locos - find out what they come out like in around 3 months... I may even have the main loco for them to go on.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

LNER X4, number 968

Post by Manxman1831 »

I've been a very naughty boy, to paraphrase Monty Python. I was thinking of doing Valour next using the G-Trains B3 kit as the basis, and bashing a Bachmann O4 tender into submission.... BUT a little procrastination has landed me heading towards a kit-bashed X4 instead. Lord of the Isles chassis, mated with a DJH Pollitt D6 kit. He must be mad, I hear some of you crying. Probably.
Attachments
The basic body.  Big gaps to fill with the firebox, and the huge splashers.
The basic body. Big gaps to fill with the firebox, and the huge splashers.
Tender left open at this point to fit in pick-ups,taking power from the 2nd and 3rd axles via phosphor-bronze strips.
Tender left open at this point to fit in pick-ups,taking power from the 2nd and 3rd axles via phosphor-bronze strips.
Quite a big little engine.
Quite a big little engine.
Brian