My models (some LNER)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: My models (some LNER)

Post by Manxman1831 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:01 pm Fancy that! Bogie wagons......
Took me long enough to make a start on them.... though I do intend doing one of them as that one with the plate-frame bogies and Spencer-Boulton buffers, just for variety you understand. Definitely not going to try and replicate the 100-wagon train that the beast was reckoned to be capable of hauling.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Bit the bullet...

Post by Manxman1831 »

Decided to hedge my bets and order a full set of Coronation coaches from P. Dunn at Cooper-Craft. I'm very aware that he has had a notice on the website regarding his troubles with the (then new) moulding machine, but the notice has been up for at least five years. I shall see what transpires.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Bit the bullet...

Post by Dave S »

Manxman1831 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am Decided to hedge my bets and order a full set of Coronation coaches from P. Dunn at Cooper-Craft. I'm very aware that he has had a notice on the website regarding his troubles with the (then new) moulding machine, but the notice has been up for at least five years. I shall see what transpires.
Oh dear, you haven't paid in advance have you ?

The last notice on RMWEb was a customer taking him through the small claims for money back, as there had been a lack of any contact let alone goods or money.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Dave S wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 am Oh dear, you haven't paid in advance have you ?

The last notice on RMWEb was a customer taking him through the small claims for money back, as there had been a lack of any contact let alone goods or money.
Unfortunately, there is no facility on the website to simply place orders and pay for them later. The RMWeb stuff is about 2 years old, and I would hope that this would be sorted by now? To be fair to the bloke, in spite of the warnings, I'll wait a month or two, and then see what happens...

Edit - just done another search on RMWeb for further info regarding the situation, and found the relevant postings from April and May this year...
Brian

Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Manxman1831 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:43 pm Unfortunately, there is no facility on the website to simply place orders and pay for them later. The RMWeb stuff is about 2 years old, and I would hope that this would be sorted by now? To be fair to the bloke, in spite of the warnings, I'll wait a month or two, and then see what happens...

Edit - just done another search on RMWeb for further info regarding the situation, and found the relevant postings from April and May this year...
I don't want to be negative but I would be on the phone pronto.

The last information I saw was that the machine was still inoperable and orders were not being fulfilled.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Dave S wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 am
Manxman1831 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am Decided to hedge my bets and order a full set of Coronation coaches from P. Dunn at Cooper-Craft. I'm very aware that he has had a notice on the website regarding his troubles with the (then new) moulding machine, but the notice has been up for at least five years. I shall see what transpires.

Although given the "pack of wolves" attitude of some on RMWeb, I would put their orders to the back of the queue deliberately if they became aggressive with me.

"I know what I want, and I want it now; and if someone I don't know mentions a 0.5mm fault in the item I want a full refund and the freedom to slag you off relentlessly" seems to be the philosophy of some over on the dark side.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

strang steel wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 pm
Dave S wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 am

Although given the "pack of wolves" attitude of some on RMWeb, I would put their orders to the back of the queue deliberately if they became aggressive with me.

"I know what I want, and I want it now; and if someone I don't know mentions a 0.5mm fault in the item I want a full refund and the freedom to slag you off relentlessly" seems to be the philosophy of some over on the dark side.
What an absolute load of ....

If you bothered to read the many threads you would find that the owner does not have a machine capable of producing the many kits he has on his website site, has not disabled his pay site even though he takes orders he can't fulfil, and does not respond to emails or phone calls asking for monies to be paid back. Even Ian Kirk tried to help but gave up.

But hey it's "The dark side" so it must be the fault of those that are there, Even though most here are members of both forums.

I hope Manxman gets his kits or his money back.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Cheers Dave S. I'll admit to being a member of both sites, but I only joined the Dark Side to keep an eye on Mr Wrights latest ventures. As I stated previously, I'll give it a couple of months before prodding. I have waited a year for a Sheffield tram kit before now - now THAT was a funny experience, if only it had been humorous instead of peculiar.

We shall see what happens.

On another, slightly related note, I am well on the way to having the Deutsche Reichsbahn steam record holder train put together - one Lilliput 05002 and a three-section SVT 137. Photos to follow when I get chance.
Brian

Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Manxman1831 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 am As I stated previously, I'll give it a couple of months before prodding.
The only comment I would make is that the longer you leave it then the less chance you have of receiving a refund by whatever payment method you chose to pay with. Personally I would contact him by telephone and ascertain whether he has the kits and can supply them and if not then to return your monies. He has been rather reluctant to do this to at least 2 people I know until action was taken.

What came to light in the discussions was that Ian Kirk and Colin Ashby had done a production run before handing all the moulds over so he had something to sell while he set his production facilities up. The only stock (plastic kit) he has is the ever dwindling mouldings that Ian did and it seems he's never produced anything. At recent shows he has had some etched parts for other ranges he purchased but none of the kits are complete as he seems unable to either produce all the parts or supply them. Ian Kirk offered to help him get on his feet but he didn't respond.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A useful summary of events Dave - I have lacked the time and mental stamina to read through the whole sage on RMW.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

All sorted, details purely between the two of us.

Edit - a little background as to why I seem laid-back regarding my mis-adventure. A fair number of years ago, there used to be a model tram manufacturer called Tramalan. He was a one-man band type of operation, but he produced nearly fifty (if not more) kits for old British trams, including his own brand of motorising units, similar in scope to the old Bec Kits of Tooting. Anyway, when the E.U. decided to try and outlaw lead-based solders on environmental grounds, he felt it was time to close up shop and retire. This created somewhat of a black-hole for those of us who enjoyed building the trams (at least until KW Trams arrived).

A few years later, the Tramalan range was acquired, and relabelled as the Majestic Trams range. This is now a two-man band, with one in Aberdeen, and the other in Poole. The model tram community went wild with expectations that the full range would be available from the off, and supply would be able to keep up with demand.

Reality has been a bitter pill to swallow, but swallow it we must. Production has been interrupted on numerous occasions due to ill health. Supply quality has been at best erratic, due to the use of repaired elderly moulds and obscure defects. BUT, to be able to have the old kits available again, is a godsend, since it allows future modellers a chance to build their own rather looking on in envy at someone elses.

So, there you have it.
Brian

williewhizz
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by williewhizz »

Most people - even railway modellers - are not daft, they understand that for small or micro-business, genuine problems in the proprietor's 'real life' can affect and sometimes badly delay production. It's frustrating, but it happens.

What is less excusable is for the supplier to make no real attempt to notify current and prospective Customers of the delay - for example, by putting that information on their website and then updating it at intervals, and/or putting the word out on the major enthusiast websites and magazines. It is not just CooperCraft that are guilty of this; for just one example of several I've come across, parts of the Southern Cross website are updated periodically, but others look as if they haven't been touched for years (e.g.the Bulleid coach kits - if there's not a cat-in-Hell's chance they ever actually will be re-introduced, why doesn't the Owner just say so and delete the page; then maybe somebody else might be tempted to have a go, and at least people won't be given false hopes?).

And what is not excusable at all is to take punters' money up-front for goods that a proprietor knows cannot be supplied within any plausible time-frame (if at all) and then decline to refund it when requested to do so, and/or ignoring or evading such communications. I stress I have no personal experience of this from 'Mr CooperCraft'; but there have been sufficient examples quoted on the RMWeb threads to suggest there is clearly an issue. There was even talk of reporting him to Trading Standards.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Anyways, back on track (sic) with the alternative record holder and train. This is the German holder of the World Steam Speed Record - The Deutsche Reichsbahn 05 002, that hauled a 3-section articulated diesel railcar up to nearly 200km/h.
Attachments
As near as I can get to a model of the 3-section railcar.
As near as I can get to a model of the 3-section railcar.
The German contender
The German contender
Coupling quandary - do I put a loop on the railcar, or a hook?
Coupling quandary - do I put a loop on the railcar, or a hook?
004.jpg
Brian

PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

Manxman1831 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:43 pm The Deutsche Reichsbahn 05 002, that hauled a 3-section articulated diesel railcar up to nearly 200km/h.
I'm not sure this is right. In the German Wikipedia entry on the record run it says "drei D-Zugwagen und Messwagon" - i.e. 3 corridor coaches (D = Durchgang) and a dynamometer car. A couple of earlier runs where 197 km/h was reached had 4 coaches and the dynamometer car, but on the day of the record, one coach was dropped as it had developed a hot axle box. I looked for photographs, but could not find any. There is a long video on the building of the 05001, and a mention of the record at the end, but is shows the locomotive pulling pretty ordinary stock.

Peter
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hi Peter,

I was bought a book a few years ago now, about the German high speed trains during the DR-era, and it goes into quite some details including the record run. During the months leading up to the run, 002 had been on test between Hamburg and Berlin, mostly sustained high speeds with 4/5 coaches plus the dynamometer car. The week before the record run, the loco was taken out with dynamometer and 3 coaches (as you say, they lost one due to a hotbox, or several), but 002 struggled to get above 190km/h. The day of the record run, the coaches were swapped for one of the Leipzig-style (3-section, 4 bogies) diesel-electric railcars. The dynamometer car is specifically not mentioned. The recordings for the run were taken from the loco and railcar tachographs, with the record being verified by one of the local tachograph technicians. Reading the German book, it seems to suggest that 002 either had an exceptional driver and fireman combination to manage the record after struggling so much leading up to the run, or to put one out there for the conspiracy theorists, she never managed it and the Germans lied. Personally, I think the former is much more likely.

Also, if anyone knows if photographs exist of the record-breaking train, like with Mallard, I would really like to know.
Brian