My models (some LNER)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: My models (some LNER)

Post by Manxman1831 »

More helpings from my bizarre build up of the Reid-Ramsay - this time a comparison with the model of the rebuilt loco. This looks pretty weird running around my parents trainset, with the huge overhang on the front-end and virtually no sign of the trailing carrying bogie underneath, when on curves.
Attachments
R-R and R-M comparison.jpg
R-R and R-M comparison 2.jpg
Position and layout of boilers.Coal carried on top of boiler on the R-R, whereas it is in bunkers on the sides on the R-M.
Position and layout of boilers.Coal carried on top of boiler on the R-R, whereas it is in bunkers on the sides on the R-M.
R-R and R-M comparison 4.jpg
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Test day tomorrow at Ruddington for the Reid-Ramsay - will have photos and possibly video to boot.
Will be running the Reid-Macleod as well as the Feb '46 Peppercorn, just to add variety to the usual running order, so if anyone is doing a Father's Day trip out and about in the south Nottingham area, I hope you'll consider the NTHC during the day.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Photos from today's running.
Attachments
R-R and R-M comparison 5.jpg
R-R and R-M comparison 6.jpg
R-R and R-M comparison 7.jpg
R-R and R-M comparison 8.jpg
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Thought I'd put a couple of shots of progress on my build of the D&S kit of the NER/LNER/BR(ER) dynamometer car.
Attachments
DSC00656.jpg
DSC00657.jpg
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I have now come to the point where I need to start thinking about transfers, and have located the HMRS NER loco and coach sheet. It appears to have the lettering for the Dynamometer Car, however the only pictures I've seen both on PetersSpares and HMRS do not show up too clearly. Has anyone else used this sheet, and could they confirm the appropriate lettering? Many thanks in advance.
Brian

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I have a feeling the dyno car lettering is slightly different to standard. Wasn't someone looking into producing some transfers?
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Okay, I'll have to do a search of the threads here for the alternative.

Additionally, is anyone else finding problems with Humbrol gloss and coal/satin blacks. I'm finding the initial coat to be still tacky after a week of drying - surely this can't be right?
Brian

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Jonathan.
The question of transfers was mentioned in Scottiedogs thread - Dynamometer car release 06-04-2013, and was mentioned
by LNER 4479..................

For those interested, I've been asked about the transfers on the model that Roy Mears has recently completed for the Grantham project. He had them specially made but has offered to coordinate another 'run' if enough folks are interested.

Anyone got an idea of how many may be interested?

I registered an interest but not heard anything further to date.

The model is looking good.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Okay, I know that it has been a while since I last posted any updates on my projects. The two Reid beasts have now clocked up more mileage than they ever did in real life, and the dynamometer car is nearly completed - just need to add the levers under the solebar for the fifth wheel and it will be considered so.

I shall also be drifting away from LNER modelling and heading for the murky depths of the L&Y, more specifically their proposed 1913 2-10-0, and trams of London and Blackpool. If anyone is interested I will post pictures of my work on these projects here, but as they are not forum-relevant I understand if noone does.

I will post pictures of the dynamometer car once it is complete, and hopefully with a 4468.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Wisbech and Upwell tramway coaches

Post by Manxman1831 »

More specifically, the brake third number 16 in the Great Eastern numbering which was converted to a full brake whilst on the W&U. Does anyone know of a kit for this diagram of coach, or of one similar for a conversion job, and what its number was under the LNER?

I ask as I have managed to acquire a D&S kit of the two passenger coach types and would like a brake to go with them.
Brian

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Bill Bedford would have been my best and only guess and he doesn't seem to list it.

If you can find drawings there are several places who will draw it up for you (Bill may be one; Worlsey Works and Peter Harvey also spring to mind).

If I think on I can have a look through the GE Journal for any information although it rings no bells.

Most photographs I've seen show a pigeon brake in use?
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Wisbech and Upwell tramway coaches

Post by Manxman1831 »

GER luggage van 9 was replaced by a GER brake third which became number 16 (according to 'Branchline to Upwell') and was converted to a full brake not long after. I could only spot a handful of pictures in this particular book with the brake attached to a train, as most passenger train photos seem to have been taken when number 9 was still around.
Brian

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I wish you best of luck with the L&Y 2-10-0.

I think they also proposed a 0-6-6-0 Mallett.

Then there is the GCR proposed 0-10-2T banker.

All these would go with Atlantic 3279's Baldwin 2-10-2.

Earlswood nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

P.S.
I overlooked the H&B 0-6-6-0T proposed banker.

Earlswood nob
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Earlswood Nob, I'm just insane enough to try the Mallet, or even the 0-10-2T. On a slightly more serious note, though, the L&Y 2-10-0 is turning into a beast - the tender is a massive piece of kit, even though it is being based on a bashed GER shorty, and the loco itself is going to need some quiet deliberations as to how on earth the firebox is to hang together.
Brian