My models (some LNER)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

My models (some LNER)

Post by Manxman1831 »

This is my take on the Reid-Macleod. I painted it red after comparing the b&w images on this site and the loco museum site. Progress is shown up to the chimney being replaced with a wider one, and details about the handrails and brake-pump coming to light.
Attachments
Side shot - compare with b&w image.
Side shot - compare with b&w image.
reidmac-a.jpg
Photo006.jpg
Forgotten turbine loco.jpg
Last edited by Manxman1831 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
S.A.C. Martin

Re: My Reid-MacLeod build.

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I'm not familiar with the prototype, but good on you for trying your hand at something unique and very different.

Looking at the model itself, it's a nice representation and the red shade is very pleasing. A very nice effort all round.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I do have a few more photos of the loco, but I'm waiting until I get my other computer back before I upload them.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

As promised, another few pictures of the monster. The black and whites are from a couple of sites. The interior shot is from the loco museum site, whilst the exterior shot is from a Russian site.
Attachments
Reid smokebox.jpg
A fairly small image, but it does show the handrails and tank filler.
A fairly small image, but it does show the handrails and tank filler.
Just putting this one in to justify my eventual decision to put the coal space either side of the firebox.
Just putting this one in to justify my eventual decision to put the coal space either side of the firebox.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

As promised, more pictures of the MacLeod. Nearly done apart from the cab roof vents and lining out.
Attachments
Showing placing of air pump and tank fillers.  No steps added at this end as they would foul the coupling.
Showing placing of air pump and tank fillers. No steps added at this end as they would foul the coupling.
This shot shows how large the cab is compared to a 'scale' Dapol person, and why I'm putting the coal either side of the firebox.
This shot shows how large the cab is compared to a 'scale' Dapol person, and why I'm putting the coal either side of the firebox.
Brian

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

That's a very neat looking model of a locomotive I had never heard of before - it prompted me to read further! Well done and thanks for sharing! :)
vic
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by vic »

A very nice model of an unusual prototype, congratulations for being brave enough to build it. Can I ask you where you got the information to paint it red? only I remember seeig a model of it many years ago at a Model Rail exhibition in Glasgow and it was green. ( This is in no way a Criticism of your excellent work)
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I took the decision to paint it red long before I found this forum. Looking at the pictures available in the loco museum site, and reasoning with myself that many other locos being built by North British were painted either black, green or yellow, I felt that red would a good contrast for an experimental. Comparing the official photos with other railways of the period, my dad thought that the livery was closer to LMS coaching rather than GNR locomotive - but that is our interpretation of the black and white photos, and not having read the article on the other thread on this site.

On a personal note, amongst a sea of black and green, I think it stands out rather nicely, but I will be going with black for when I build the Ramsey.
Brian

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Whenever I look at this loco and other similar projects, I do find myself wondering if they were influential on Mr Bulleid's decisions on the Leader format.

Interesting build, certainly going to stand out amongst the conventional contemporary traction.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I used to take it down to the GCR(N) at Ruddington and let it loose on their model of the old station, along with prototype Deltic and gas-turbine 18100, and have the visitors guess what they are. One is definitely a diesel, but the other two don't half confuse them. Does anyone know if loksound do a G/T unit?
Brian

vic
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by vic »

Some good pictures on the Scran website, ask for nbl experimental turbine locomotive
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Thanks for that suggestion. Last time I looked at that site they had the side shot that is reproduced in most books that cover the loco. I can see now that my coal bunkers need to extend as far as the water fillers, but no loss there - just cover the tank tops in between with coal, noone will know unless I tell them.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

My models (some LNER)

Post by Manxman1831 »

Okay, taking the hint from Mick B after I hijacked his thread (sorry), I shall be posting further pictures of my models in with the Reid-MacLeod model build, soon to be followed up with the Reid-Ramsey. I shall be taking a leaf out of a few of the members books and posting pictures of that build as I go.
Brian

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Please!! :D
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: My models (some LNER)

Post by Manxman1831 »

Okay, so first post for the Reid-Ramsey. Only a few pictures for now. Enjoy.
Attachments
Printout of general arrangement with my own drawings to fit mechanism.
Printout of general arrangement with my own drawings to fit mechanism.
Drawings to plasticard (2mm thick)
Drawings to plasticard (2mm thick)
Collection of bits from donor loco
Collection of bits from donor loco
Model ahead in the queue
Model ahead in the queue
Brian