My models (some LNER)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Great Central Railway transfers

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hi folks, it's been a long time since I updated last with any progress on my pair of 1913 heavy goods locos, and I have a question - do any of you gents know off-hand of a supply of 4mm scale transfers for the Great Central Railway crests and lettering? I fired off an email to the GCRS about a month ago, and am still waiting for a reply, and thought I'd try my luck here.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: My models (some LNER)

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Quainton Road Models have transfers for locos, coaches and wagons.
Tony west
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Tony west »

Brian, do you recall who you sent the email to within the GCRS ??.
Cheers Tony.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hi gang - my original e-mail was to the designated Webmaster for the group WarsopWhacker@BTinternet.com

I'll try QRM when I get chance. Thanks guys.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Here are the latest photos of my Baldwin and L&Y beasts. The GCR machine is awaiting transfers from Quainton Road Models. The L&YR machine is waiting for me to produce its big cabside numberplates, which will also be copied for the Baldwin, so they'll both wind up as number 1800.

The Baldwin does look a little undersized compared to the Lanky - due in part to it being based off of a HO model, it measures a scale 67ft 6in for the wheelbase instead of 70ft. The Lanky should be 54ft for the wheelbase, but comes in at 54ft 6in. Neither machine is 'finished' - detailing still to be applied (crosshead guides on the Baldwin being an obvious bit).

Since neither machine was built in reality, a fair bit of artistic license has been used. I hope they look the part - which is the intention - and others find inspiration for their own creations.
Attachments
L&Y beast - can you tell its a 9F and B12 tender?
L&Y beast - can you tell its a 9F and B12 tender?
DSC00792A.JPG
American Beauty?  I can only imagine what the blokes at Immingham shed would have made of it.
American Beauty? I can only imagine what the blokes at Immingham shed would have made of it.
DSC00798A.JPG
Brian

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning

There is some big muscle there.

Earlswood nob
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I shall have to line up all of my creations for a photo-shoot sometime. Still, credit goes to GK and others for providing the inspiration to do them.
Brian

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I can only echo what you say, Manxman, I got back into modelling around six years ago while recovering from a badly broken arm. The quality of my modelling has improved greatly through the examples and advice from this forum. I still over-reach myself trying to achieve things, but go back to my attempts later and sometimes make progress.

Earlswood nob
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

A question about paint...

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hi fella's, and lasses if we have any among the membership,

I have a question regarding Humbrol black paint. I may have asked this in the past, but it is bugging me once more. I have three NEW tinlets (14ml) of the gloss, satin and matt. Both of the gloss and satin blacks seem to take about a week to cure, while the matt only takes a few hours - same sized areas and first coats - but on applying a second coat, all three only take a few hours to harden.

Would anyone know, scientifically, as to why this is happening?
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Going Southern-ish...

Post by Manxman1831 »

Well, I lost out on getting hold of a Millholme Stirling Single from fleabay. So... I've pitched for a Golden Arrows Bulleid Leader instead. I may post progress pictures here in due course, but I do recognise it isn't remotely LNER related.
Brian

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: A question about paint...

Post by kimballthurlow »

Manxman1831 wrote:Hi fella's, and lasses if we have any among the membership,

I have a question regarding Humbrol black paint. I may have asked this in the past, but it is bugging me once more. I have three NEW tinlets (14ml) of the gloss, satin and matt. Both of the gloss and satin blacks seem to take about a week to cure, while the matt only takes a few hours - same sized areas and first coats - but on applying a second coat, all three only take a few hours to harden.

Would anyone know, scientifically, as to why this is happening?
Hi Brian,
About 20 years ago, I wrote (the old way) directly to Humbrol with some technical queries, and I got a very scientific reply.
They went to some trouble to explain the vagaries of which I was asking.
It may be worth trying them even at this date.

Kimball
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: A question about paint...

Post by Manxman1831 »

kimballthurlow wrote: Hi Brian,
About 20 years ago, I wrote (the old way) directly to Humbrol with some technical queries, and I got a very scientific reply.
They went to some trouble to explain the vagaries of which I was asking.
It may be worth trying them even at this date.

Kimball
Thanks for that. I'll try after the Seasonal rush.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

New Year, New Models

Post by Manxman1831 »

Some may even be LNER-based. With that out of the way, my ever-growing list of projects is currently thus :-

Golden Arrows Bulleid Leader.
Great Central Railway 40-ton coal wagons times 3, courtesy of Mr King.
LNER Coronation coaches G&H, from the old Mailcoach kit with another of the same to be completed in BR red and cream.
LMS ex-CR coaches, touched up and upgraded from the ancient Triang offerings.
LNER ex-GNR coaches, conversions similar to those done by Messrs King and Welleans to produce Howlden-like coaches. The plan is for the Brake third to receive the existing Gresley bogies and lookout duckets, while the composite may be changed to two 6-wheel bogies.
Flight of fancy - a bogie brake van for my GCR Baldwin and wagons.

That is it as far as railway modelling goes, but I do have a multitude of other projects to keep me (in)sane.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

New Year, New Models

Post by Manxman1831 »

Put this on Facebook earlier. Thought I'd share it here as well.
Attachments
BSA Baldwin + 3.jpg
Brian

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Fancy that! Bogie wagons......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.