My models (some LNER)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: My models (some LNER)

Post by Manxman1831 »

My thinking is that Gresley and the board had already used birds, colonial partners and racehorses (A4's and A1's/A3's), so what next? With the naval bases on the east coast and Scotland being served by both LNER and LMS, maybe they could have used that link as a reason for more names? Indefatigable has already been taken; Hood is too obvious, likewise Dreadnought.

OR, with the advent of the more powerful locos, the birds and racehorses would be reused and the A1/3/4's would have wound up being renamed?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

If in our make-believe world these locos were built, then presumably WW2 would not have intervened, and military names may not have been adopted. The continued use of racehorse or bird names seems a strong possibility, and one I prefer to the use of senior Board members names which smacks of self-glorification.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Fair point. In which case, Gresley himself never departed this earthly existence and went to become BR's first CME? We wish. I think I'll go with Warspite for my 4-8-2, if built, and I've already got a name for the W1/3, Leader.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

I look forward to seeing these loc's coming alive

as for the names, I also like the idea of ship names, how about 'Spirit of Endeavour'? or other tall ships, they used one for a B1 'Mayflower' so presidency has been set

just a thought...
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I was looking at what 247 have available to hand with the choice of names. Warspite is in his listings as being a Britannia-style plate, plus the battleship itself was a fighter (nearly sunk at Jutland; hit the Nazis hard at Second Narvik; nearly sunk again in the Med; refused to go to the breakers).
Brian

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Warspite, was that the one wrecked on Lundy?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Prussia Cove, Cornwall. Also known as the Old Lady.
Brian

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

If you get to Prussia Cove when the tide is just right, then the outline of a capital ship appears in the waves.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Yep. A guy I knew ages ago was somewhat of an expert on the Grand Old Lady. Used to tell a tale that even though a lot of the weight had been removed, Warspite carved one heck of a section out of the rock and was stuck fast enough that she had to broken up on site.
Brian

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Now, that's one capital ship that should have been preserved, funny how the powers that be, don't give a B***** about the British heritage, they couldn't even be bothered to preserved an A3 ...........shakes head.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Belfast very nearly didn't make it either. The tale is that Sheffield was the original ship that the Imperial War Museum wanted, but old Mountbatten refused to listen to them and sent her to the breakers. Belfast was on the Far East Station at the time and was grabbed more or less as soon as it got back, Mountbatten had been replaced by the time and she was actually offered up. HMS Manxman was in use as an engineering training ship around the same time, and had she not caught fire during a refit probably would have been turned into a museum ship herself regarding the Malta run.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Okay, enough about warships for now, onto the serious stuff. Got my bits and pieces from ebay today, and made a start on the W1/3.
Attachments
10003 proposed length.jpg
My attempt at the Bissel arrangement (yes I know the pivot for the original was in front of the Cartazzi, but this was more convenient).
My attempt at the Bissel arrangement (yes I know the pivot for the original was in front of the Cartazzi, but this was more convenient).
As above but with the supplied axle for the T/D pony truck.
As above but with the supplied axle for the T/D pony truck.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

A couple more showing areas of major work - the front end may have to be built around fitting over the decoder/weight mounting (suits me, like a challenge); whilst the cab is going to need extensive scaffolding to bridge the gap.
Attachments
10003 front end.jpg
10003 cab end.jpg
Brian

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Good luck with the project!

I've received some bits in the post today from SE Finecast including W1 rear truck castings (for my 4-8-4 project) - great service - next day delivery. Now they just need to gather dust on my workbench for a while! :roll:
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I need to run some test with this one to see if an 8-coupled loco will go around the curves on the layout, especially if fully-flanged and at A4 spacings. If it will go around with a flanged wheel in the Cartazzi, then a full-blown 8-coupled should go around okay too, as long as I leave the flangeless axle in the truck.

Any thoughts about a name for your 4-8-4?
Brian