My models (some LNER)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: My models (some LNER)

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Manxman1831 wrote:I need to run some test with this one to see if an 8-coupled loco will go around the curves on the layout, especially if fully-flanged and at A4 spacings. If it will go around with a flanged wheel in the Cartazzi, then a full-blown 8-coupled should go around okay too, as long as I leave the flangeless axle in the truck.

Any thoughts about a name for your 4-8-4?
I can't even think of a name for the two 4-8-2s I'm doing, never mind the 4-8-4!! :roll:
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

W1/3

Ran some tests today with my 4-6-2-2 setup - flanged versus flangeless in the Cartazzi. The flangeless wins hands down, even on flexitrack running outside large radius Hornby curves. On a good note, the Bissel truck runs very nicely and will support the tender connection, so I'm picking up from both loco and tender.

On a note about bodywork - comparing the proposed A4-style cab with the SEF Hush-Hush my dad built - with the Hush-Hush being to the full 9' loading gauge for width, the A4 cab would seem a little skinny and leave a lip where it would meet the boiler. So, I will scratch one together, rather than cut-and-shut, to the full width and blend the bottom curve to match the casing.

I'll try to form a card mock of the casing to work out the shaping to show possible improvements in design over 10000 (longer firebox, front airflow), before making the final wrap out of clear plastic with internal bracing and detailing. The front footplate will be built around the chassis, but not secured to it until final assembly, adding details like the high pressure cylinder block and steam-driven lubricators.

Reid-Ramsey Turbo-Electric Condensing Locomotive

No progress beyond transferring the drawings for the cabin onto 2mm plasticard, and dismantling the donor.

Mountain "Warspite"

Still in the planning stage, and having read the RCTS 10A am aiming at possibly going for the Cock o' the North front end, if I can get it to go around our curves. Not looking good unfortunately, might have to get a little creative with the chassis - superslimline for the fourth wheelset?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

A couple of mpeg's to show progress on the W1/3 and the Reid-MacLeod, along with the Maid of Morven. Apologies in advance for the picture quality - taken using my phone's camera and placed a couple of inches from track.

http://youtu.be/OryIc8BDAh4

http://youtu.be/eN50vxGDouU
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Okay, so started the designs for the W1/3 bodywork - it's looking so wrong compared to the original design working around the lumps and bumps of the A4 chassis. Never realised just how different the two designs of cylinders/rods were, before I tried to get one to mate with the other. This one I will paint in Garter Blue livery with the Coronation steel band along the bottom beading. Tender on order as part of collection of parts for both of my big ones.

The parts for the 4-8-2 are possibly on order (fleabay pending). Looking to butcher a 60022 body - lengthen at top of running plate curve, extend firebox by about 4mm or so, open out front end for a pseudo-P2 look using an A3 smokebox and some plasticard. This one will be Doncaster Green with black smokebox beading and surround, with woodpecker green cab interior.

Picture link below may be broken. Search for Saint Johnstoun's A1PX for a rough idea of what I hope to get.
Attachments
A1PX.TIF
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Right then. All of my parts have arrived for my LNER models, and design for W1/3 is drawn up. This is going to be the blue one of my duo.
Attachments
The basic shape at 4mm to the foot, with ruler.
The basic shape at 4mm to the foot, with ruler.
W1.3 lined up.jpg
W1.3 tender comparison.jpg
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Tender modified and first coat of Hornby LNER blue drying nicely. May do another before work tomorrow, and then onto the main bodywork.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Today's progress - second coat on tender and front running plate (modified for ease of construction, not a Thompson rebuild).
Attachments
W1.3 tender comparison 2.jpg
W1.3 front end.jpg
W1.3 front side.jpg
Brian

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

This is interesting..............I'm watching :D

By the way, your not trying to motorize 'Dr Who's' arch enemy !!!!!!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

The 'Ironside' is one of the R/C ones from any toy store, near enough in scale with my Tardis from the same brand :D :D

Think I may attempt the boiler wrap and basic cab tomorrow, after going out in morning. The wrap looks like fun - cutting out the basic shape, before heating and rolling.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Today's update on the W1/3 - my fingers hurt with it all at the moment, but that is another story that involves boiling water and warm metal. Tender finished off with the blue this morning, so I only need to paint the supposed-to-be black bits, the supposed-to-be stainless steel bits and the lettering.

The boiler - the reason for the aching fingers. Was supposed to have been an all over wrap, but is not to be. 1mm plasticard can be a pain to curve tightly, I have found, even with copious amounts of boiling water, so I shall be using plastic tube for the lower edges where they curl back under. The basic shape was wrapped around the handle end of one of my partners walking sticks (she has a few to choose from), gaffer taped to it and boiling water poured over the lot. In my infinite wisdom, and harking back to age six, I forgot that hot water running through a metal tube actually gets hotter for whatever reason, and I reminded myself why I should never stick my hands in front of a cylinder drain end. Oh well, some lessons are best reinforced occasionally.

End result is that I have the wrap I wanted-ish, and am now waiting for the reinforcing bars I put in to set before proceeding with the front end 'metalwork' and side reinforcement tubes.

Cab on hold until the boiler is stabilised.
Attachments
Boiler wrap start.jpg
Front end wanted.jpg
Not pretty
Not pretty
This has to stop the wrap from trying to curl in to itself.
This has to stop the wrap from trying to curl in to itself.
Brian

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I can see you've been having fun! It's a frustrating choice between thin sheet metal and plastic at times, isn't it? Plastic is easy to cut to shape but a nuisance to bend exactly as desired. Sheet metal can be coaxed into the exact curve you want but takes rather more cutting out.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Yup to all of the above. Currently got the wrap sat on the front running plate while I wait for an internal strengthener to harden, then I need to add the dummy smokebox plate onto that. The 'fun' bit will come when I try to coax the smokebox coverplate into existence. On the plus side, got my high pressure cylinder block done.

Think I will try thin brass next time I do one of these. At least the Mountain will be fairly straightforward, with having the wings and no coverplate, I can fashion that out of a plasticard box for the front end.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Today's progress - cut away the boiler wrap aft of the smokebox section and replaced it - looks miles better.

Made a start on the Mountain "Warspite" - only stretched a 6ft section so far, got another 1ft 3in to put into the firebox. My plan is for this one to receive a mechanical stoker similar to one trialled on the Southern Merchant Navy's, hopefully with a suitable tube to go over the tender connection to simulate the feed tube.
Attachments
New wrap.jpg
New wrap internal bracing.jpg
W1.3 comparison.jpg
W1.3 rear low.jpg
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Additional images of today's progress.
Attachments
W1.3 internal.jpg
Warspite start.jpg
Warspite start 2.jpg
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Having been extremely busy looking after my partner, who exerted herself with some festivities yesterday, and breathing in copious lungfuls of glue, I have more progress to report on the W1/3. Let the pictures speak for themselves.
Attachments
W1.3 on the bench.jpg
W1.3 on the bench 2.jpg
W1.3 on the bench 3.jpg
W1.3 cab.jpg
Brian