My models (some LNER)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: My models (some LNER)

Post by Manxman1831 »

And now for some comparisons with my mother's Hush-Hush (built by my dad).
Attachments
W1.3 front end comparison.jpg
W1.3 size comparison.jpg
W1.3 side.jpg
Hope it will go around the curves on the layout.
Hope it will go around the curves on the layout.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thats coming along well, isn't plastic a wonderful medium to work with :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I may have cause to disagree with that statement, but it has worked thus far for my needs - as well as substituting with watercolour paper for the more complex curves and curvature.

Running trials tomorrow - let's see how much I need to nibble at the cab to get it around our curves without moving the body forward.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Running trials today - tweaks galore to make the thing get around the curves, but it was a success.

http://youtu.be/FhC-lwN3niI

And some comparison photos to go with it - W1/3, SouthEastern Finecast Hush-Hush and 1970's Hornby Flying Scotsman.
Attachments
Gresley line up.jpg
Gresley line up 2.jpg
Gresley line up 3.jpg
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

It's big. It's blue. Not much else to say really.
Attachments
W1.3 first complete blue.jpg
Brian

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

I'm learning how hard it is to create loco bodies in Plastikard - you have done extremely well to create such a complicated shape. I look forward to seeing more progress pictures. :)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Have you considered whether anything can be done to eliminate the texture on the non-plastic (paper or card?) part of the boiler cladding? Had I used that material, I think I'd have been tempted to use a good coat of lacquer well-soaked in to harden it, then maybe even a good layer of filler primer, followed by rubbing down, prior to more guide coats of primer and further rubbing down, before proceding to the colour coats.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

The artists watercolour paper (to give it its full title) was given three coats of watered down PVA, with a light sanding in between coats. I very nearly went through it in a couple of places where the paper had soaked in the glue/water mix and hardened to a shell. I think I will leave it looking slightly mottled, as it will suit my needs for not having boiler bands at this point in time (I will put them on later if I think it will help disguise the mottling).

The 'complicated shape' is now only a part of what I showed in previous photos. A significant chunk of the wrap is now thick paper, which has allowed me to provide the tighter wrapping under the boiler - as per Gresley's original masterpiece - as well as giving me a bit more freedom to nibble at the edges where they were catching the wheels. Only the smokebox end is plastic now, with supports internally to help hold the shape; whilst the smokebox cover is again the watercolour paper cut to shape using the upper curve of the 'wings' as a template and smothered in good old superglue.

I think at this stage of production, I shall keep the stepped running plate at the front for now - I'll see how it looks once I paint the running plate and inside of the 'wings' black. It's getting a double chimney - fashioned from plastic tubing (the same stuff I used to form the under wrap of the smokebox) - and I'll use the whistle from the 60022 shell for this one. Warspite can use the one from the A3 when it arrives, maybe, or I'll raid my dad's stock of bits to see if he has a spare.

Not a bad weeks works really, so far.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

This mornings progress.
Attachments
W1.3 first coat black.jpg
W1.3 first coat black front.jpg
W1.3 first coat comparison.jpg
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Ran some more tests today with the monster. Had to trim some of the cab bottom sheet to clear the Bissel. Will do a scale 110mph with 4 Kirks and a Falcon(?) behind it.

http://youtu.be/JlQ14JIZJAM

http://youtu.be/6LzYnWa_RSM

Also took some shots of my Reid-MacLeod and Maid of Morven for those who may be interested.
Attachments
W1.3 testing.jpg
W1.3 testing 2.jpg
The result of extensive testing and some extra lead going into the smokebox - slicing about an eighth of an inch to clear the truck.
The result of extensive testing and some extra lead going into the smokebox - slicing about an eighth of an inch to clear the truck.
Lots of room for backhead and crew.
Lots of room for backhead and crew.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

And now for the Reid and the Maid.
Attachments
R-M front.jpg
R-M boiler end.jpg
R-M smokebox.jpg
Maid end.jpg
Brian

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I reckon the cut-down side sheets actually improve the look of the "Big Blue Beastie!" Looking forward to this one being completed.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Certainly improved the performance - doesn't sound like it's skidding around the curves like a six-wheeler. The lead in the front end probably helped some as well.

The style guru (my mum) didn't approve of the colour. She thought it should have been grey to match the original, and very pointedly asked when I was putting the steel boiler bands on it. A bit calmer when I said I was going to put the strip along the bottom of the cab and tender as per the Coronation locos.

"Warspite" is coming together slowly. The body is in the process of being lengthened, but due to delivery issues I haven't been able to make a start on the chassis. At this rate it'll be payday and I may just bid on another cheap A3 to ransack.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Progress on "Warspite" made today. My partner really didn't like me carving up the Mallard bodyshell. Oh well.

This is loosely based on Saint Johnstoun's A1PX drawing.
Attachments
Side shot.jpg
End on.jpg
Front end.jpg
Brian

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Is this going to have a "Hush-Hush" type front end?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!