Correct match for LNER Apple Green

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Correct match for LNER Apple Green

Post by Atso »

Hi guys,

Hope you all had a good Christmas and a happy New Year. I've plucked up the courage (or stupidity) to have a good at converting one of my Farish A3's to 1930's A1 condition. The dome is gone and the loco is in the process of being converted to right hand drive (looks pritty good too!).

However, soon I am going to have to turn my attention to painting the apple green livery on to the loco. As I have never had any success using an airbrush I was looking to go down to Halfords and pick up a can of paint. My question is, does anybody know what the best match for LNER apple green would be?

Many thanks in advance.
Steve
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Whatever colour you choose, if it's a Halfords cellulose-based paint (which it almost certainly will be) don't spray it onto anything plastic without using a proper plastic primer - also available at Halfords.

And for your own health's sake, make sure you have adequate ventilation.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

The one and only time i used spray paints was many years ago, humbrol aerosol and a hornby 040 tank engine. It didn't go well, not having an airbrush i've since relied on my brushing skills.

Anyway Phoenix do an LNER doncaster green, the right colour for and A3, in an aerosol.

http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/enamel.asp?F_Railway=3

regards and good luck
Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Well, I've almost finished my A1 conversion. I have painted it (unfortunately the green is slightly too pale) and will be putting the finishing touches to it sometime in the future. I thought I'd share some pictures so that everyone can point out what I've got wrong! :lol:
Attachments
A1-6.JPG
(906.71 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
A1-3.JPG
(879.57 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
A1-2.JPG
(857.16 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
A1-1.JPG
(881.87 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

What Halfords' colour did you use, Simon and what colour primer is it over? It does look a bit pale but you can't always trust the colour reproduction of a photo.