Fine scale wheels

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Fine scale wheels

Post by CVR1865 »

ok so i decided to repaint one of my old hornby A1's last year, the intention was to return 4472 to traffic as 4476, with all the painting and transfers done i want to replace the wheels and valve gear.

does anyone know where i can get a replacement wheel set that includes the valve gear and connecting rods. I thought Romfords but they only include the wheels and axles, but i can't find etched valve gear. The sets also include the tender wheels which i don't want as it is tender drive, too many problems changing them over. I also made the mistake of using it half finished and i kind of forgot about it. One year later... (i'm sure we've all done it)

Many thanks for any help.
Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Hi Simon,
Comet Models sell an etched fret of valve gear and coupling rods for an A1/A3. (ref LM30 in the LNER locos section)

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/index2.html

Also Alan Gibson does the valve gear (ref 4M55/15 near bottom of page) but not the coupling rods.

http://www.scalefour.org/ag/ag4det/rods ... lve%20gear

However Martin Finney sells the coupling rods from his etched A1/A3 kit separately (ref E26 near the bottom of this page).

http://website.lineone.net/~cbwesson/4mm.htm

As far as the wheels go you can buy the Romford/Markits wheels separately and these are probably the best to go for if modelling in 00/EM. Alan Gibson is another option for a similar price. Finally if you want the Rolls Royce of wheels and a long wait then there is Ultrascale but an £15 per axle for a set of drivers even I have to swallow hard when ordering them.

Cheers,
Morgan
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Thats great, thanks. i'll have a look at the comet stuff, i think i'm going in the Romford direction i've used them before on a kit. I did bulk at the price of the ultra scale wheels, £57 for the A1 wheel set.

Does the Hornby old A1 have scale spaced drivers or am i going to have to fiddle?

Many thanks again

Simon

Post by 45609 »

I'm afraid I don't know about the wheel spacing. I'd be surprised if wasn't the correct wheelbase although you can't take this for granted. I would also check that the existing driving wheel axles are 1/8" diameter. Most of the new Bachmann and Hornby RTR stuff has 3mm diameter axles.

Morgan
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I have an A1 I'm going to do as Flying Fox. My advice would be to go the whole hog with the Comet chassis pack, a beefy motor, plenty of lead and forget the tender drive. You'll get a loco which will pull a house.

I did a B17 with their pack last year and was very happy with it. If Golden Arrow still do their streamlined B17 body I may do one of those one day. I don't think you can do better than driving the loco.

The A1 I had was a great runner - I stopped bothering to try it at 18 bogies on my dad's layout - but suddenly stopped pulling at all and I discovered has a crack in the chassis of the tender drive. Not dropped (AFAIK) or mishandled - just fatigue, I suppose. That and the very variable (and noisy) characteristics of those drives makes me abandon them as soon as I can. If you're going to go to the effort of assembling the valve gear, for a little extra effort you can transform your loco.
badwolf
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Fine scale Wheels

Post by badwolf »

Romford/Markits do 3mm axles as do Gibson
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Thank you to all the people who replied.

I'm still a little uneasy about the loco drive conversion but maybe one day. I will have to see, the new hornby A1/3 does look very impressive and i imagine no matter what one does you will never fully manage that. Although i guess a new chassis and front bogie would go a long way. I have been contemplating repainting my other A1 just to update to a more accurate livery colour and the correct black buffers.

I must get on and order Royal Lancer's nameplates. And replace that buffer which just fell off. lol

Thanks again
Simon

Post by 45609 »

Simon,
There was an article in Model Railway Journal recently that described a conversion of the new Hornby A1/A3 and A4 to EM gauge using Markits wheels. It looked to be very straightforward. If you don't have it let me know I'd be happy to send you a copy.
Morgan
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

no i don't have it. It sounds interesting though so if you could drop me a pm i will give you my e mail.

Many thanks
Simon
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

So how does one get hold of lead or some such similarly heavy item to weigh down my loco's and kirk coaches?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I've seen it for sale in model shops here in the US. No doubt at a highly inflated price - a slab of mould-able lead in a blister pack!

Even as a kid, lead was getting harder to find. For model plane weights, we used the sheath from an old lead cable! Old water pipe is another option (you'll need to remove the lime build up). An old lead battery might be an option if you had a safe way of handling the acid (not down the sink or dumped in the garden!). You would also need to thoroughly clean the plates before moulding them.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia

Post by 45609 »

Simon,
Have a look at this link. "Liquid Lead" is quite good stuff or just roofing lead from the DIY shop should be readily available.
cheers,
Morgan

http://www.electricnose.co.uk/tips/weights.html
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

excellent, thankyou