LNER gresely coach formation

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

n4das
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER gresely coach formation

Post by n4das »

Hi guys,

Having just received a great x-mas gift of a Hornby A3 with some gresely coaches, from the other half, I have tried in vain to find the formation of these trains.

I run full length trains on my layout and would value some information on the coach formation used in express such as the flying scotsman.

It would also be useful to know some info on which of these coaches are available RTR.

Thank you
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Depends which way it was going! the down (always confused there!) was

BTK 3rd Brake - Aberdeen
CK 1st/3rd - Aberdeen
TK 3rd - Aberdeen
TK 3rd - Edinburgh
TK 3rd - Edinburgh
Tk 3rd Toilet - Edinburgh
RTS 1st/3rd Restaraunt - Edinburgh
FK 1st - Edinburgh
TK 3rd - Edinburgh
BG Bogie Van - Edinburgh

Hope this helps
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
n4das
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by n4das »

Thank you for that.

I can see that Hornby dont produce the CK and the RTS....or for that matter the BG!...

kit building here I come :D
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Don't think anyone does an RTS, if they do, is there one in N?

It would go well with Scotsman, although at present shes got the rake of Crimson and Cream, and Union of South Africa (BR) Mallard (LNER no Wings) and Coldstreamer are pulling the 4 teak between them!

the 3 LNER 8Fs are hauling the 19 trucks!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The closest in N is a Buffet from Dapol. Dapol also have a 1st, a 2nd, and a Composite Brake. Teak livery is due to be released during the summer (maroon is already on sale).

A Full Brake will be available in kit form from the N Gauge Society in the next few months (I already have my deposit down on one :-) ).

No restaurant car, but still a much better state of affairs than 12 months ago!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Steve Banks did an article in Model Rail last year about the 1928 'Scotsman' set. I think you can model it in its entirety from the Kirk range (now sold by Coopercraft) including such oddities as the cocktail bar and hairdressing car.

If you want to look at earlier or later sets then Michael Harris is the man - either of his books on LNER carriages will give you the information you need. LNER Standard Gresley Carriages is probably a better bet for modelling purposes as it has drawings of everything.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Cavn'dish produced an N gauge kit for a RTS back in the 70's, these kits used pre-printed sides and etched bogies. While Cavn'dish have ceased trading (as far as I am aware) their kits turn up from time to time at swap meets and on ebay, although the RTS is a very rare one to turn up and prices tend to reflect that. I've got two cavn'dish full brakes which I might get around to building one day and the teak effect on them is exceptional and will collect more of these if the opportunity arises.
Steve
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

If kits and scratch building are acceptable, then Ultima and Bill Bedford might be worth a look for etched sides.

I think Ultima is closing down and selling its stock through the NGS shop.
(I might be confusing people and companies, but I think Ultima was Colin Albright's company - that's the Colin Albright who now works for Farish/Bachmann).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
RBTKraisee
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re:

Post by RBTKraisee »

x568wcn wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:50 am Depends which way it was going! the down (always confused there!) was

BTK 3rd Brake - Aberdeen
CK 1st/3rd - Aberdeen
TK 3rd - Aberdeen
TK 3rd - Edinburgh
TK 3rd - Edinburgh
Tk 3rd Toilet - Edinburgh
RTS 1st/3rd Restaraunt - Edinburgh
FK 1st - Edinburgh
TK 3rd - Edinburgh
BG Bogie Van - Edinburgh

Hope this helps
I'm ressurecting this old thread because I don't really understand the "Aberdeen" / "Edinburgh" terminology. Does this mean some of the coach rake was split for different legs of the extended journey?

Ross.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: LNER gresely coach formation

Post by LNER4479 »

Yes. The core train ran from London to Edinburgh. The coaches referred to as 'Aberdeen' were then shunted off the train and ran on further to Aberdeen.

Portions and through coaches were very common on the LNER express services running along the East Coast Mainline; the coach formation information for the pre-war era are a fascinating read and has occupied a lot of our time in putting together our representative trains for Grantham. The Flying Scotsman train was a very simple one compared to some of the other trains!

Just one question - are you modelling in N gauge or OO gauge? There seems to be reference to both in the earlier posts.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

The train is a Down Formation, therefore it is starting from London King's Cross and heading north.

The final destination of the first three carriages is Aberdeen.

The rest will travel as far as Edinburgh Waverley. All of the formation will travel to Edinburgh Waverley, where the three carriages will be added to another train for Aberdeen.

Graham (LNER 4479) has put it rather better as I have been writing this.

John
Last edited by JASd17 on Tue May 12, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Re: Re:

Post by Seagull »

RBTKraisee wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:58 pmDoes this mean some of the coach rake was split for different legs of the extended journey?
For the return journey the three carriages would depart Aberdeen about 6am.
On arrival in Edinburgh they would be added to what is now the rear of the train for the journey south departing at 10am.

As mentioned above the Scotsman was relatively simple, only having two destinations and therefore sections.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Through coaches would carry a smaller destination board like this.
Attachments
024CC398-B598-489F-8335-09F77D25FE6F.jpeg
024CC398-B598-489F-8335-09F77D25FE6F.jpeg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 7919 times
RBTKraisee
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by RBTKraisee »

Thanks to you all for the clarification. I figured something like that was going on, but I'm new to this particular nomeclature and wanted to make sure I grok'd it fully so I can get my models arranged as well as possible. My fear was that perhaps the terms could have referred to slightly different designs of coach, which threatened to open a new rabbit hole for my research! :)

Trestrol, thanks for the image of the sub-name board, that is a really nice touch that I can include on my models!

Graham, I'm not actually the originator of this thread, it's some 13 years old and I just resurrected it because I'm trying to model a Flying Scotsman of this era and stumbled across this rake info courtesy of a google search.

But if you're interested, I'm doing my 3D printed models in N 1:148. I actually do all my designs in 1:1, full scale, and that allows me to re-scale to anything. I've got a workbench over on RMWeb where I'm currently working on an 11ft long model of King's Cross station and I'm getting near to finishing an LNER teak triplet restaurant set that I could turn into a kit for others, if there's enough interest.

Thanks again everyone,

Ross.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Thank you for the link to the 'big' project Ross.

The Restaurant Triplet is looking good.

John