N gauge mineral hoppers

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graham Boak
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

N gauge mineral hoppers

Post by Graham Boak »

I'm looking for suitable hoppers to represent a coal train. There seems to be no mass-produced ones, but the 2mm Society does have NER-pattern ones and the N Gauge Society has some BR metal-bodied hoppers that look very similar to the later LNER ones. Are these my best (or indeed only) sources?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: N gauge mineral hoppers

Post by richard »

That is about it. Dapol have produced something resembling the steel BR hoppers - I'm not sure how close they are to the LNER ones, and I don't recall seeing any with "NE" lettering.

The 2mm NER hoppers are designed to go with their own chassis. From what I remember, you will have trouble getting it to work (and look right) with an N gauge chassis - but we have some creative people here, so I won't say "impossible" because that would be just inviting someone to prove me wrong :-)

For non-coal, there are more options: Eg. the NGS have an anhydrite hopper kit.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Graham Boak

Post by Graham Boak »

Thanks for the Dapol tip, they do look close to the plans in LNER Wagons.

What is the problem with the 2mm Scale Association examples? Are they simply undersize?
Graham Boak

Post by Graham Boak »

I've just looked on Hattons. NE examples of the 21t hopper are expected (running late) and also weathered NCB examples. Cheaper to buy the plain grey ones and add my own weathering, I suspect. This would also create rather more of a patchwork train, as they seem to have been.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I remember coal hoppers varied a lot, we used to get some in Alnwick with the lettering House Coal Concentration on them plus variations of lettering and colours. My advice research a lot of pics.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Graham Boak wrote:Thanks for the Dapol tip, they do look close to the plans in LNER Wagons.

What is the problem with the 2mm Scale Association examples? Are they simply undersize?
Ay up!

Not particularly. The 2mm society chassis is a masterpiece of the etchers' art but a swine to put together. Imagine building an axlebox up from laminated etches. In 2mm! Don't these people understand where castings would be better? :lol:

The Peco chassis would be an option. A good option in fact, but it would need shortening from 15ft to 12ft wheelbase.

Maybe Dapol will make their excellent N wagon chassis available as a spare part like they have their 4mm ones?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes when I was getting back into model railways I did join the 2mm Soc and even bought some kits, but quickly decided it wasn't for me (even with eyes less than 30yrs old at the time!). I'm sure the chassis would look good, but quite frankly I'd much prefer 7mm for that kind of building!

From what I remember, I thought the bodies looked narrow compared to N-gauge - which I assumed was to a 'true' scale chassis - so I assumed they would look a bit odd on a Peco or PD Marsh chassis.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Graham Boak

Post by Graham Boak »

No, I don't fancy one etched chassis let alone a dozen or so, with much respect to the fine scale modellers. The wheelbase of the chassis in LNER wagons is 10ft6in, so the PECO 10ft chassis would presumably do? If the kit is sized for a 12ft chassis then it would need some modifying to fit, but the difference is less than 3mm. The actual body difference overall is only 1mm: assuming the kit is correct, of course..

Joining the 2mm Association just to pick up a string of body shells seems excessive, but there would be a year's supply of modelling magaz\ines to read too! It would be most discouraging to do that and then discover that the bodies wouldn't fit.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

52D wrote:I remember coal hoppers varied a lot, we used to get some in Alnwick with the lettering House Coal Concentration on them plus variations of lettering and colours. My advice research a lot of pics.
available from dapol in the past.

mr B
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

52D wrote:I remember coal hoppers varied a lot, we used to get some in Alnwick with the lettering House Coal Concentration on them plus variations of lettering and colours. My advice research a lot of pics.
In the next year or so, it is the intention of York Group to repaint one of our fleet of ex coal hoppers into Housecoal Concentration livery.
Does anyone have decent photos or details of these wagons in this style?
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

The N Gauge Society kit comes with the Parkside Dundas PN03 12' chassis and metal wheels. If you also use the etched brass detailing kit which they also offer it makes up to a nice wagon. I think that the only big difference between the BR and LNER version was the handbrake. Paul Bartlett has some photos: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=BR%2021T%20Hopper. Sorry I have no photo of the model.

Peter
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Late to the party on this one, but just been informed by BH Enterprises that the Thameshead Models kit they sell as North Eastern 21T Hopper are the wooden sided mineral hoppers as used by the NER, I've ordered a batch so will let you know what they're like once they arrive but very useful not only for NER/LNER but also as identical ones were used by industrial lines during BR days too (and wouldn't be surprised if some of the wooden ones were still seen) a very useful bit of kit, and a must for anyone portraying the NER area in N
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask