Asenby St Peter

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Asenby St Peter

Post by jwealleans »

I was at Doncaster Show this last weekend; for our overseas readers and those unable to visit here are some photographs I took of Peter Simmerson's 7mm layout Asenby St Peter which I was operating. It's based on the Tollesbury branch and features locos mainly from Jim McGeown kits and a mixture of kit and scratchbuilt freight stock. The boards are only 15" wide, proving you don't need acres of baseboard to build an interesting (to operate, at least) O gauge layout.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Asenby St Peter

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's a very nice layout.

I don't know if the name Asenby is real or fictitious, but if the latter it is a perfect choice to really "set" the location. A name like that really does fit the area. The "by" puts it firmly in the old Danelaw, and something like Asenby, especially when coupled to the name of the saint of the parish, really could only denote a place fairly close to the coast between the Humber and Essex!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Asenby is where he lives (just south of Thirsk, so firmly in the Danelaw as you say). Peter because it's his name. We're building an extension at the moment so anyone who sees it at Ormesby Hall on Mar 31/April 1 will get an extra 10' and a 90 degree bend. There will be a small halt on the bend (a GE special with just a sign to show where it is) which he's decided to call something 'Darcy' - very Essex. Perhaps 'Simmerson Darcy' - that trips off the tongue rather well.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Such wonderful photos, and the added realism that comes with a larger scale just makes me wish I had the space (and the funds) to try it.

Congratulations to all involved in creating that layout, and thanks for sharing the photographs.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Lovely, lovely stuff, Mr. Walleans. I was 'there'.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Question- where did he get the serpent benches from and are they available in OO. Definitely gives the station an NER slant although i am reminded of the Mid Suffolk with the buildings.
All in all a lovely layout.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Looks Lovely Jonathan, sorry I couldn't see it at Doncaster but I might make Ormsby this year - especially now I know it's on. :D

Looking at the rolling stock I recognise Jim's kits in there and a few Slaters but whose is the pigeon van? I really quite fancy one of those myself.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Great realism - thanks for posting those excellent shots - half close your eyes and you are there! :)
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

The utter realism of 7mm. I wish.......

Mrs BB says: No you don't! We have enough N and OO gauge!

:oops:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

If Mrs BB won't let you have O gauge, maybe you should try gauge 1 :mrgreen:
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, Blackout!

Are you trying to get me killed? :lol:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

Thanks for sharing these great photos jwealleans, I find them very inspirational as my main area of interest is North East Essex. I particularly like the first one with the tram on the bridge and the buildings are very typical of the area. The pub reminds me of the one at Heybridge Basin.
On the subject of Great Eastern trestle bridges could anyone point me in the direction of some drawings. I have several photos of such bridges on the Snape, Brightlingsea and Maldon lines but would like to know the dimensions of the timbers and what the structure was like underneath.

Cheers
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I will pass them on to Peter when I see him next.

I believe the serpent benches are available in 4mm but can't recall where off the top of my head. I will have to ask where he found those.

Rob, I think the Pigeon van is Ian Kirk. I couldn't tell you if he sells it like that or it's a cut down from a longer van, though.

OS, Peter had the same problem when he built the extension which has the bridge. In the end I think he built it from photos - I know I lent him some of my Dr. Ian C Allen books while he put it together.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Thanks for those Jonathan, as I said I was sorry to miss you and the layout, which looks rather nice.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thread revival - just to flag up that Asenby (and I) will be at the Peterborough Show this weekend and very happy to say hello to any forum members who are planning to attend.