Asenby St Peter

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Asenby St Peter

Post by PGBerrie »

I'm coming across for my annual dose of Yorkshire fresh air, fish and chips with bits and of course, to see the Wakefield exhibition. Looking forward to seeing Asenby St Peter in the flesh.

Peter
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, we had a fine weekend at Wakefield - it seemed to go very quickly despite the extra half a day operating on the Friday night. Good to be next to Pempoul and had a very pleasant dinner on the Saturday night with the Gravetts and others. Peter (PGBerrie) and Dave of these parts also took the time to say hello: always nice to see new faces as well as the familiar ones.

Rob Pulham came to lend a hand on the Friday night and brought one or two of his excellent creations:

Severn, which we'd last seen in the brass on Marske at Redcar. I take my hat off to anyone who can scratchbuild a locomotive, especially one which looks this good.

L & Y van from a Medley Models kit (I think) - very similar to the North Eastern G7 van and benefiting from some of Chris' weathering attention. The horsebox is a Parkside kit.

I took one or two round the layout, trying to find views and aspects we haven't seen before.

This is the new lady - the old one fell off and vanished into oblivion and (I'm told) her replacement went AWOL on Peter's workbench.

There are rumours that developers have their eye on the land beyond the Rat and Ferret. Watch this space for any developments. The bus driver may have to find somewhere else to park (but it won't be on the bridge).

The chap in the privy is about at children's head height - it's always amusing when one of them notices him.

GE 5 plank from Powsides. Wish you could get these in 4mm. The ex-GN 4 1/2 plank is scratchbuilt.

John and Rachel from Uncommon Kits were with us on Saturday night and John asked if we'd give some of his stock a run on the Sunday. Now, we'll run anything if you ask us nicely enough, so this could be seen by the early arrivals on Sunday:

This is the Ixion Hudswell Clarke (he says confidently, having just Googled it). We've tried a few of these out for people and they've all run superbly without exception.

This is the Ixion Fowler diesel. Diesels don't do a lot for me, but this quirky little thing with flycranks whirling was quite attractive. It also ran very well and had several trips up and down during the day when we fancied a bit of variety.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

With all due regard to the diesel, is that an ex-NER A16 (LNER Imp P) in the foreground - or possibly an A12/Imp Q?

I rather like those. I'm currently rebuilding my first attempt at an A2/Mac L. Nice distinctive vehicles. But I think I might have to make something more heavy duty to carry a Fowler Ploughing Engine.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

About the "old lady who fell off and vanished into oblivion", don't we all? :)

Lovely layout and lovely pictures. Another 'I was there' moment. Thank you for posting.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Here are a couple that I took on Friday night.

I really enjoyed my stint at operating and I am very grateful to Jonathan, Peter and the team for asking me along. It has rekindled my desire to get my layout under way - track planning is on the cards....

PS the LMS/L&Y van is a Dragon Models kit and a very nice kit it is too.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

David - it's one of these. I hope that's enough for you to identify it fully.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

In the picture you posted above of the Ixion Hudswell Clarke, is the 2nd wagon the wrong way round ? red dot!.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Good spot (hah!) Dave, but that wagon isn't ours, it's one of John's and the circle is part of the livery. I think I took a close up of that one for him, I'll see if I can find it. They were all Scottish Private Owners or NB Jubilees.

Edit: Here you go, Dave - I thought I'd taken one of it.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Just a word for anyone in the area that Asenby is appearing at the GlasGOw show this weekend:

Event Name: GlasGOw 2015

Address: Pollokshaws Burgh Halls
2026 Pollokshaws Road
GLASGOW
G43 1NE

Day 1: 6 June 2015
Opening times Day 1: 1000 - 1600
Day 2: 7 June 2015
Opening times Day 2: 1100 - 1600
Prices: Adult £6.00Concession £5.00Gauge O Guild member £5.00Children free

We went two years ago with Marske and it's a very small, friendly show which we very much enjoyed.

If you're in the sunny south, don't despair, we will also be at Telford in September.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Another fine weekend in Glasgow - apart from the weather, which was anything but. In fairness, it wasn't as bad as the forecasters had threatened, but it was quite damp.

The venue is very spacious and accessible, a godsend when you have what is becoming a large layout to carry about and set up. This is currently the full extent of the layout and also the configuration in which it will appear at Telford. This was the first time we'd operated it like this, so it was a useful exercise.

Peter's been acquiring more stock - this (genuine) wagon was too good to miss. Sound advice from the coal trade.

He spotted this one on the club bring & buy - a long way from home, but right up our street.

There are one or two more people about than previously as well.

Most of the stock has been built, of course - this is the current occupant of the works.

We also now have a fitted J15 for passenger work

and another parcels/fruit/luggage van.

Martin's latest contribution is this F5, from a Jim McGeown kit.

David Lloyd came with us, standing in for our regular fourth man and brought his railcar again. It's going to have the Devil's Electricity fitted soon, which will render it unsuitable, so we made the most of having it with us.

He's hinged the front steps to get round the very limited clearance, but they seem to have stuck.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I look forward to catching up with you all at Telford and seeing this lovely layout again.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

A note for anyone in the general area that Asenby will be appearing at Spalding Model Railway Show on the 14th/15th November.

I believe Mr King of this parish will also be present at the same occasion.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Correct. I'll be behind the razor wire at Leeds Central.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

For any fans of Asenby, it appears in the current issue of Hornby Magazine. Photos were taken at Glasgow last June.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

jwealleans wrote:For any fans of Asenby, it appears in the current issue of Hornby Magazine. Photos were taken at Glasgow last June.
Thanks for the tip Jonathan but, having browsed a copy this morning, I wouldn't spend money on a relatively short article that is predominantly photographs and not as informative as this thread, save for including the relatively simple track plan...