UK N models in Canada

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

UK N models in Canada

Post by richard »

JDToronto:

Thought you might be interested, but there's a Canadian EBay seller by the name of "nicelistings" selling a lot of British prototype Minitrix stuff, eg. the following Teaks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6017531079

He also has some Mk1s, private owner wagons, a Flying Scotsman, etc.
Shipping should be cheaper for you!

I haven't seen the Minitrix Flying Scotsman, but I hear they had to "fit" the model to an existing continental chassis - so if you're after an A3 you might be better off with a re-released Farish A3. Or maybe you won't notice the difference :-)
I think they're meant to run pretty well though, unlike the Minitrix Ivatt 2-6-0 (also listed).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

Thanks Richard,

This is the same guy who has the MiniTrix teaks I am bidding on and some Blood & Custards as well.

My experience with MiniTrix is 50-50 in loco's. I have an old F unit here which goes like a dream. But I also have a European steamer here which is a nightmare. I might stick with BachFar or Dapol for British loco's for now. At least I might have a better chance of getting parts.

John
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

Did you see what they went for? $127 US dollars! Oy vay.

He has three more, hopefully they wont go so steep.

John
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I saw the prices the Private Owner wagons were going for. I'm always on the lookout for more, but I'm not fussy - I'll get some brand new ones from Dapol, Peco, and Farish for less! lol I did get a couple of wheel cleaners from him, though.

I don't know if you are aware, but the N-Gauge Society are producing a Gresley Full Brake as their next project. I think I saw Easter as a target release date, but I'm not sure. This is their first coach kit, and they're looking for people to put down deposits of GBP10 to cover the development cost. I think they have about 80% of the required deposits, so if you haven't joined, you could join and put down a deposit!

I'm not sure of the details and I'm probably mis-quoting, but I think the length matches the Minitrix coaches, so that the body can be used with existing 3rd party etch overlays to produce other coach variants. I'm not sure if I have the time and patience to make a whole rake of Gresleys, but it is definitely a step in the right direction and I have put down a deposit myself.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

I am the supreme dufus, I replied to this earlier but somehow I didnt actually post it!

Ebay prices can be quite weird right now. I have got some real bargains, but then books will go for three or four times the price you can get them form dealers. Several 2nd hand locos have gone for well above new prices! And as for Gresley Teaks, well, you know the story.

I jopined the N gauge Society only a few days agao, but I have taken your suggestion, and sent an email asking how to pre-order the coach kits. I have never actually built up a kit like that. so it should be a good learning experience.

John
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I put my deposit down with an order to the shop. Living abroad, uou'll find the shop very useful for UK-profile odds&ends - I know Ido! Every NGS newsletter/journal comes with a shop listing in the central black&white pages. The address label sheet has an order form on the reverse side.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia