Bachmann 2012

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Bachmann 2012

Post by IAK »

Wooohoo... :shock:

Techospeak there I think 8)
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Well a tad disapointed a Scottish D11 which never went south and a J11 that only went for a limited time to the GER otherwise GCR based . It looks like Bachmann a maximising there use of the GCR tender!! :shock:
It will be interesting to see how they sell. Wonder what Graeme can use them for !!??

A LMS 2-4-2 tank dont know the prototype, I wonder if it could be bashed into a LNER version ? I need a F8 personally.

Fish van will be most welcome, and will have few.

Surprised no buildings annouced , perhaps the prices :shock: are slowing sales?

I am amazed a A2/3 never arrived , perhaps one for Hornby who should also jump on the V2 too.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

How difficult will it be to modify a D11/2 into a D11/1? I'm looking at the LNER encyclopedia entry and am struggling somewhat with the differences.

How close is a D10 to a D11, out of interest...!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The 'Scottish Directors' were fitted with lowered cab roof and smaller boiler top fittings to get within the applicable Scottish loading gauge ,compared to the the native GCR class. Are Bachmann likely to do with this what they did with the ROD, 'Swindonising' it for the GWR variant; although in this case it would be a 'Gortonising' back to mk1 condition? I would have thought that would figure in their thinking.
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

Now what if the D11/1 is produced through the NRM?
Just a thought...

Lets just say a CLC/GC type will be drooling at a lot of this
I mean a Pom-Pom AND a Midland Compound?
Jeeez my wallet has run away................... :lol:

40C
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 40C »

I wonder what they really mean by the description 'LNER 12T fish van' ?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Mick - I think you'll find that an F4 is 98% an F8. We have one on Pilmoor we run as an F8 although it's a NuCast F4. I'm sure Colin Seymour can fix you up with most of what you'd need.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Certainly if the make the D11 the same way as the 3F (separate cab moulding) then it won't be hard at all to convert.

Pity they've:

a) made my 3 1/2 F conversion obsolete!

b) duplicated some Hornby releases (4F, 101)

Still, at least the 4F will be a different type from the Hornby one, able to be made as LHD / RHD with either Johnson or Fowler tenders.

As for the L & Y radial tank - follow this link: http://www.lostockhallmpd.org.uk/24c.html and scroll down. A very handsome little engine indeed!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

If Bachmann really are releasing the L&Y 2-4-2 tank engine, then that certainly does open up a whole host of possible conversions. I like the potential. Now, if only they'd release a Grimsby and Immingham tram...
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

By the way chaps - something to note. Bachmann have retooled their GCR tender, if the pre-production D11 is anything to go by:

Bachmann D11 on Facebook, courtesy of Model Rail

If you look carefully you can see the GCR type water filler cap and coal space, as described and exhibited by Graeme in the O4 thread.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Indeed they have and what a handsome machine it is.

Ooooh, must save my pennies up!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:By the way chaps - something to note. Bachmann have retooled their GCR tender, if the pre-production D11 is anything to go by:

Bachmann D11 on Facebook, courtesy of Model Rail

If you look carefully you can see the GCR type water filler cap and coal space, as described and exhibited by Graeme in the O4 thread.
Spares please....
Having two 04 bodies its a time for some postulation methinks...
Oh what a nice day this is 8) 8) :D

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

jwealleans wrote:Mick - I think you'll find that an F4 is 98% an F8. We have one on Pilmoor we run as an F8 although it's a NuCast F4. I'm sure Colin Seymour can fix you up with most of what you'd need.

Thanks JW for that.

Can I confirm that the F8 is nothing like the L&Y Loco? as I presume you are refering to using a Nu cast kit for a F8? .
I have found a couple of pictures in which the F8 looks quite similar to the L&Y Loco. Couldnt find any info on wheel sizes etc, any one with ideas ?

As to kits Falcon do or did a F8 in their range. After suffering a couple of Jidenco wagon kits I have my doubts if it is any good ? Anyone built one or even seen one ?

thanks
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The retooled GCR tender referred to above appears to have the shape of front coal-plate and position of toolbox that would be correct only for the final self-trimming design of GCR tender as used intitially behind the last big 4-6-0s, Improved Directors, and LNER-ordered Scottish Directors. If this tender is a totally faithful scale model then its tank will be wider too, which would not be correct for any of the much more numerous earlier GC standard tenders, even if the front coalplate and toolboxes were changed.If Bachmann's rersearch and thinking has been done properly, this may therefore imply that we'll see a third version of the tender for the Pom-Pom.

Variations to look out for if changing the D11 to another class-part, or if trying to turn it into a D10: Well apart from the cab heights and window / spectacle shapes, plus the height of the boiler mountings, boilers are pitched at slightly different heights on the D10s (turn a blind eye?) and the frame tops under the visible part of the boiler barrel may be to different profiles. I'm not sure, but a look at the bolting pattern for the cylinder blocks may reveal differences too. The D10s and GC D11s had opposite admission, the D10s using the D9 type of block, the D11s having a new one. I believe the LNER added to the variations by building the Scottish batch using J39 blocks.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thank you Graeme for those insights, much appreciated. If they have done a different tender variant for the D11/2s, then with the J11 (as you say, assuming they do that variant too), the possibilities of mixing and matching GCR tender variants is staggering.