Bachmann 2012

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Bachmann 2012

Post by Hatfield Shed »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:At the risk of not sounding grateful, why no LNER version of the D11/2? The bias towards BR-liveried locos continues.....
It is a bias driven by what customers actually purchase. Natural enough to get the best sellers out first, and then follow up with the other possible liveries once demand has been proven. Bachmann have explained their 'toe in the water' modus operandi before, and this fits the pattern. They are trying out the demand for an exclusively Scottish allocated loco, and covering themselves by the choice of a subject which can with some small alterations produce a range of models suitable for use elsewhere. (Of course the sales results may well be confounded by large numbers of purchasers modelling English lines buying the thing and modifying it. Nah, be sensible, there's only about half a dozen people prepared to modify OO RTR these days, they won't affect the sales results at all...)
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

I'm a happy chappie with the D11/2 and Compound to add to my stud of Scottish locos. The Class 101 DMU is a pity as I have a large fleet of the Lima/Hornby ones. If they do the early version that would be good though.
I wonder what happened to the Caley tankie as I know somebody measured it up at Bo'ness.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Measuring up is one thing, getting the nod for the investment to develop a model is quite another thing. By now I would imagine both Bachmann and Hornby have a fair number of dimensions from specimens 'in the bank' which haven't (yet) 'made the cut' to go forward into production. And of course there are many interesting subjects where no metal artefact remains to be measured: this seems to be informing Hornby's LNER plans...
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

The lowered boiler height is a perhaps bit of a misnomer for lowered mountings. The original GC loading gauge allowed for taller chimneys and domes. The LNER fitted shorter standard chimneys and domes to lower the height of locos to allow them to go anywhere on the LNER system,

Colombo
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well that's a possibility I suppose, but as you suggest they have not put it in appropriate terms if that is the intended meaning.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

I think Graeme's assessment of the statement was the correct one. Having seen an example of Bachmann's development files/documentation first hand and discussed the process for development of a new model with them I can say with some certainty that unless you know your intended subject intimately then problems with historical and dimensional accuracy will undoubtedly creep in. The effort required in research cannot be overstated as the people designing the models (the Chinese) will have next to no knowledge of the prototype and must slavishly follow the information provided.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

After dismantling a couple of Bachy engines for conversion, they have certainly worked out that modular construction works. All have the boiler/firebox as one moulding, the cab a separate moulding and the running plate a casting to provide much needed adhesive weight, especially with the digi socket wasting space that could be taken up with ballast. (Awaits howls of protest although I do realise that both the Big 2 are putting digi sockets in the tenders, giving us the total fag of numerous wires underneath but there you go!)

Given this, Bachmann will certainly ring the changes over the years to come.

As for liveries, the makers produce what sells. Personally I now prefer Big 4 livs but 'twas not always so.

Sadly, the Somerset and Dorset in LMS days wasn't the interesting place it became under BR so guess what livs I tend to go for?

YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNN!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

A little query, there was something at the NYMR LNER gala in 2008 that resembled a J11. Could someone tell me what it was please?
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This?
j15.JPG
J15. One hundred years old this year and one of the best small goods 0-6-0s ever produced in this country.
Norfolkman
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Norfolkman »

New improved 2012 Centenary version

:D

Steve
aka Norfolkman
Attachments
NNR B12 Recommissioning 2012-03-08 049 (Lo-Res).jpg
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Yes, and what a splendid sight she made last Saturday at the NNR.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

She looked very sharp on the friday too. I was there all afternoon and ended up on 3 different trains all hauled by the J15, the NNR certainly did a good job of switching the stock around, but the B12 stayed where she should be on the teaks all day.

It was a great weekend.

Back on bachmann, having checked their website it seems there are a good smattering of re-liveries including another LMS livered 3f and an s&D jinty (must be for mr. BB). There is also a re-release of the WD 2-8-0 in BR Livery, along with a smattering of their BR standards. The LNER vent van is also coming in a new to NE livery with planked ends, although I can only imagine a box van is amongst the easiest of all models to re-liver? Just my opinion and I will probably have a couple of those too.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

[quote="CVR1865"]An s&D jinty (must be for mr. BB) [quote]

Ay up!

Seeing as I appear to drive Bachy's product range ( :lol: ) maybe I should request all those LNER locos we've been wondering about?

I'm also rather excited about the prospect of a decent Midland Compound at last!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Another one I missed, I never bother to check the train sets, is the midnight metropolitan.

A pannier tank in London transport livery on an engineers train. Now that is a pre-order for only a pony.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Yep, it certainly was that little J15 that I saw, thanks for the help guys :)
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F