Red lining on tenders

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Red lining on tenders

Post by jwealleans »

I am about to start the lining on a black D20. Looking at the colour photo in LNER Locomotives in colour 1923-1948 the red lining on the tender seems to continue in a straight line to the rear of the side panel, as if it continues across the back and round to the other side.

I have consulted what Yeadon and other books I have and of the few conclusive photos I have found, some clearly follow the shape of the tender side (so a rectangle enclosing the LNER lettering, while others seem to do as the D20.

I always thought the rectangular shape was correct. Brian Haresnape says the red line should follow the shape of the tank or tender side, which is equally inconclusive. The two locos I can clearly see lined in this manner are this D20 and a K3. Is this a Darlington variation?
badwolf
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by badwolf »

Most of the black GC locos have the red line carried right around the tender, i.e. no panels , the red lined P1 also has this arrangement
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

This is a real minefield-I initially thought that you carried the line around on tenders with rounded corners ie K2 and used a panel on those with an angled corner ie C4-and so used panels on my C4 and D9,whilst carrying around the K2's.unfortunately,I am now sure that Badwolf is correct,though I cannot find my source, and the standard livery was to carry the lining around the back for black tenders.Oddly though while it seems that N1/N2 tanks carried their lining around I am looking carefully at lining for my N7 and Yeadons clearly shows the bunker sides with their own panel.Needless to say there are no doubt exceptions,at a guess from Stratford and Cowlairs, rather than Doncaster and Darlington.
Would you consider what I did with my J3's?I left the lining off at first and only added it a few months ago when the relevant Yeadons was published showing that these relatively insignificant little locos were turned out in full red lining from Doncaster until the 1928 economies.You could wait for a while and run the loco happily-its easier to add the lining than,say,paint it out or strip down and start again!I have no intention of repainting my two GCR locos ,even to correct what I am sure now is incorrect lining!Sorry to be such a bad,if pragmatic,modeller!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I had wondered about the rounded/squared differentiation, but the D20 has squared corners whereas a Claud (also with squared corners) has clearly been lined with panels in the same sources cited earlier.

I was reading The Big Four in Colourmore attentively this evening and David Jenkinson points up several differences in green tender lining between Gorton and Stratford, as well as inconsistencies in Gorton's output. I daresay it is just a local variation.

I will be presenting my evidence to the builder tomorrow and he can decide.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

In the end I went for the 'carried round the tender' approach. It came out very well given that this was the first time I have tried hand lining.