Hornby or Bachmann A4s

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Andrew
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Hornby or Bachmann A4s

Post by Andrew »

Hi there folks iam fairly new to this hobby and would like some advice . between the two manufacuters mentioned whitch is the most acurate A4 model ? would apreciate some comments from people who all ready own one , iam mainly modeling late fifties early sixties period . Thanks
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. I have a couple of the Bachmann examples and they're silky smooth and silent but pull like the proverbial. The reviews I saw of the Hornby one (especially that by Tony Wright, who knows more than most of us about them) said it had the edge, but you'd have to see them side by side to make a judgement.

The best one I've ever seen was a Martin Finney kit with working conjugated gear and a buckeye which swung down to reveal a drawhook - all in 4 mm - but it was a bit more expensive.

If you have a specific era or locomotive in mind then I'd go for whoever does the closest livery/name to what you want. There are some recent articles about detailing them further - most likely in BRM, since Tony Wright did at least one of them - I'll look up the references if you're interested.
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Andrew,

I agree with JW, both are good, but my Hornby Golden Plover has the edge on Bachmann's Dominion of New Zealand. Plover is smoother and pulls better. The fixed trailing truck under the firebox with the flangeless wheels does not let it down, and it is easier to re-rail.

Tony Wright, in his BRM review, said that the Hornby corridor tender is spot on, the first one to be an accurate representation of the original.

Colombo
Andrew
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the advice guys looks like i'll go for the hornby model .
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

On motive power, my Cousin runs 4mm, and says Hornby gives up after a year, but Bachmann keeps on and on an......
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk