LNER Y7 LOCO

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

LNER Y7 LOCO

Post by mick b »

Hi
My latest 4mm loco a Y7 Shunter

Image[/img]

Mick :D [/img]
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Good looking, neat little dinky engine!

I remember the Middleton saying their Y7 was one of their most popular engines. Hope they get it back together soon :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

+ new items

Post by mick b »

Connesieur NER Coach

D&S NER Dia H3 Stores van

D&S NER Dia H2http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7291/img0008tk5.jpg

Mick :lol:
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Oh yes. Those are lovely.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Mick,

Is this the Connoisseur model?

His 7mm kit arrived a few days ago, so I've been busy comparing it to pictures in the RCTS & Yeadon books.

A lot of the pictures show something that looks like it might be a valve or tap in the side of the base of the smoke box - it isn't in the kit or on your model.
Perhaps the oil feed for the motion? The Middleton's Y7 had a Wakefield mechanical lubricator when I photographed the parts 3 years ago - there's no mention of them in either book and I can see one in any of the photos, so I think this must be a preservation-era fitting.

Also Yeadon's implies the NER livery was black, but the Connoisseur instructions say lined green. I've seen photos of lined green Y7s, but they're all preservation era. The NER pictures do indeed look black.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
Yes she is a 4mm Connesieur kit.
I have seen the valve ? you mention on a number of photos . I have no idea of its function but whatever it is they were not carried on all of the class. The pictures I have of my model do not have it fitted. I have seen sinilar on other locos as well.
I model the LNER period so cant comment on NER livery

Mick :)
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think I might have found an answer to the livery question. The Yeadon reference was "at Grouping", and I've since found a photo of a Y7 restored to "original Gateshead livery" that looks like it is probably green (bw photo).

Apparently the NER adopted black with vermilion lining for freight engines in 1903. The 4-8-0T hump shunters didn't have lining (but were given passenger lettering!). So it appears that they were originally green, but became plain black in 1903.

I'm planning NER livery, so it looks like I have a choice. Black could be easy, but green might be more interesting.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Lovely work Mick,the weathering is really subtle and effective.You seem to build all the kits I'm kicking myself for missing out on! :x I was just too late on the Y7 from Jim when he sadly dropped 4mm and wasn't aware exactly what the D&S van looked like until I saw this! I love the roof lookout and the open spoke wheels!
Richard I hope you will really enjoy the 7mm kit-all Jim's stuff I've seen is really well thought out and executed-happy modelling,keep us posted and good luck with your move to 7mm. 8) Cheers,
Rob
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

My better half would look at that Y7 and say "Aaaah. Bless."

But then she's a narrow gauger....

Well, done, they're seriously good.

Any weathering tips? I just can't seen to get it right! :x