Dapol's Gresley Buffet car

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

paperman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Dapol's Gresley Buffet car

Post by paperman »

Now that Dapol have released this excellent model in maroon livery, I thought I could use it in a Cambridge 'Beer train'. What would a typical make up of coaching stock be in a Cambridge Buffet Express during the early 1960's?

Thanks

Paperman
Jeff
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Hi,

The 'Cambridge Buffet Express' formation could be extreamly hard to find as it may not have carried a head board on the front of the train. All I can find is that B1's were usual motive power. You could always use a formation and say that it is the 'Cambridge Buffet Express' One formation that is listed in a BR 1958-1959 carriage working booklet is

BSK Brake Second Corridor
SK Second Corridor
SK Second Corridor
RMB Restaurant Miniature Buffet
CK Composite Corridor
BSK Brake Second Corridor
BG Brake Gangwayed
BG Brake Gangwayed

This particular formation left London Liverpool Street Station and went to Cambridge, as where the actual train left from London Kings Cross, but we can overlook that small problem :wink:.

Hope this helps any.

Regards

Karl
Last edited by karlrestall on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYMR Guard
paperman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by paperman »

Thanks for the info Karl. Yes, I don't believe the service ever carried a headboard. Usual motive power was indeed B1, with occasional L1, going onto class 31 haulage. I have photos of 'Falcon' hauling it in 1961 & a class 26 in 1960. I have also gathered that a Gresley buffet was in the formation for many years(one upto 1968).

From the odd photo I can make out most of the rake is BR Mk1 stock, but can't see how many coaches a typical train length would be.
Jeff
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Jeff,

Don't know if you get Model Rail but there are a number of formations in there for the 'Cambridge Buffet Express'. Well worth buying if you want the formation for 1969 and 1972-1976.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
paperman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by paperman »

Thanks for that, Karl. My period is 1962/63, but I'll look out for that issue, as all info is useful.
Jeff
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

I posted the note below re the Cambridge Buffet Express on RMweb some time ago. It reflects the 1964/64 GN Suburban Carriage Working Book entry. From memory the train carried roof boards only

During this period there were 2 'Cambridge Buffet' Sets one stabled at Hornsey the other Cambridge
Hornsey Dia 121... BSO,TSO,FK,RMB,2TSO,BSO...
Cambridge Dia 122..BSO,TSO,FK,RB,2TSO,BSO..
Hope this is of help

Steve W
paperman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by paperman »

Thanks for the info Steve, is the RB in the Cambridge set a Gresley vehicle?

The article Carl refers to does confirm the Gresley buffets were still in use on these services at the end of the sixties.
Jeff