Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by UpDistant »

Dave

There are some threads on here about the condition of the prototypes and, if you are lucky, some photos as well. A lot of photos and links have gone. I used "NER Stores Van" as the search term and it brings the threads near the top of the list. I think I looked through them all at some point in the past to see if there was any mention of livery - I would have suspected blue for a departmental vehicle at some point, fading over time to be almost grey. Some of the photos that are still available on the web show a mix of peeling "grey" and weathered wood.

Dan's instructions have more information about subsequent modifications than Tatlow Vol 2, although there is no mention of the sliding door mod. There are also diagrams of the interior layout. I will PM a copy.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Mine are in Oxford Blue as they were Departmental vehicles. Never found a photo in LNER days as to lettering, so I guessed the layout. Shame the D&S never did the 6 wheel version for a complete train as per Tatlow photo.
Last edited by mick b on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

UpDistant and mick b.

Sorry for the delay in replying I've been away for a short break in the Dales, very nice, we stayed near Haws at the Simonstone Hotel which is famous as the place where Clarkson twatted his producer and ended his career on the BBC (for the time being), amusingly there is now a plaque in the bar marking the spot. Any way enough of that.

Thank you both for your replies, a copy of the instruction would be helpful and I will do a search. Of course Mick, I should have realised blue would have been the colour as its not a service vehicle doh!.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Knowing the British "we saw you coming" tourist industry, I presume the hotel now charges extra on account of its claim to fame?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I don't think they did this time, as we got a very good deal, I was told a guest presented the hotel with the plaque for a joke. We
had a great time especially meeting the 2 peacocks Basil and Sybil, which the new owner had introduced.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Another update on the good old NER H3.

It lives..........I think.

The bad scribing on the side will be filled before painting as I can't be bothered to redo that side.

The 2 cyls are the gas cyls.
Attachments
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0373.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

A further update on the stores van.

Rivets, handrails, vents, buffers etc added, buffers this time 51L.
Attachments
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

That stores van is looking the business Dave!
Steve
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Very Nice Dave,

Mine has been sidetracked by my drawing some NER matchboard coach sides but I still have the two Kirks to finish first.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Atso and Rob.

Next problem to solve is how to make the queen posts.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Hi Dave,

I would offer this as a possible queen post, but it is not quite right as regards the look. And I have no idea how it did it.

But it is strong.
IMG_1039 queen post uf.jpg
Oh well,

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Cheers John.
It does look strong, I solved 2 problems last night, whilst the usual crap tv was on, next job is to put them too work.
1 The queen post, needs to be 1.2mm dia down to 1mm with a threaded bit at the bottom, I think
a bit of Evergreen rod 1.2 dia drilled up the centre to take a 16BA bolt and nut trimmed to length will do it.

2 The end taps, 4 required, westinghouse pipes cut down to suit with 51L carriage handles altered to suit will do.

Just need the big magnifying glasses, a drink to steady the hand and we will see.

What is the underframe for ?.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well the queen posts are made, for those interested they are Evergreen 1.2mm dia rod, tapered to 1mm dia, then drilled down the
centre and a 16ba nut and bolt fitted, this was then trimmed to length, leaving just the tread and nut. the truss rod is 0.5 ns wire.

The van also requires 4 taps, 2 at each end, the ones fitted are the mk3 version, in all I've made 8, 2 pairs were made to different
methods before I made the 4 that I fitted. they are made from MJT vac pipes, cut on the bend, drilled and a trimmed 51L 'T' handle
fitted. The photo's should explain. Then it's all fitted and the van is progressed again.

In case you are wondering the taps are in the correct location and are just as the door opens, they are linked to a pipe that runs across the end at floor level with a central T and pipe to the tank. It must have been a bugger getting in the door and not tripping over it all.

The drawing in the background is one I've drawn on cad for this van.
Attachments
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
Last edited by Dave on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Truss rods.
Attachments
IMG_0387.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

If you all remember I said when I find the chocks for the traction engine wagon I would post a pic.
Well I found them at the weekend, so for your continuing edification I give you the completed wagon
with chocks, before they get lost again.
Attachments
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0389.JPG