Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Chas Levin »

Nice looking vehicles Dave: whose kits are the NER Perishable and V1? (Apologies if that info's further back in the thread!)
Chas
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you chas.
I don't think they have been on before.
The V1 is a Slaters Kit, started years ago following the upgrade article in the MRJ and has been sitting in a box of to finish wagons for years.
The Perishables van is a 51L kit, started in 2003.

To make the roof extensions to the LMS ends I marked a CL on both types of ends and lined them up with a horizontal datum on some 10thou plastic.
When I was happy with the position of the LNER end I scribed the roof profile. This was repeated for the LMS end using the CL and horizontal datums.
The sliver of roof was carefully cut out and glued to the end, and reinforced with a strip of plastic to the rear.
You can see on the assembled end the difference in widths. A CL was scribed on the floor and the narrow LMS ends were centred on this using the CL previously on the ends. When the sides were fitted the gap was reinforced internally and filled with perfect plastic putty, which is the white filler in the photo. I hope that makes sence.
Attachments
IMG_7290.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Sorry about the poor photo.

The Parkside sides have been fitted, and one side of the underframe fitted. The LNER van kit PC61 comes with a timber underframe, as can be seen this has been replaced with a Parkside LNER PA06 steel underframe. The work on the sides includes a horizontal line scribed along the base of the van as the vertical planking stops short and the redundant planking joints filled with plastic putty. Steel sheets have been added with 5thou plastic sheet with a overlapping joint simulated.
Attachments
IMG_7291.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Next the other solebar was added and the wheels, it seems to run very freely.
Because the LMS end was a little bit narrow I've added some cut down Evergreen channel 265 to the ends of the headstock, when set this will be trimmed to shape. The holes have been drilled to take LMS, LNER fitted van buffers B004. Small brackets have been added to the solebars under the body and the brake gear has been started.
Attachments
IMG_7302.JPG
IMG_7300.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Quick update on the Dia 25, painted and transfers being applied, just need to fit couplings and find the vac pipes, which seem to have gone missing.
A bit like the royal mail pinching my stuff from 51L, I live in dismal hope they may turn up.
Attachments
IMG_7304.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The Dia 25 is I think finished, and has been lightly weathered.
I'm quite pleased with it and I may buils another but using the Parkside vented steel end kit.
I just did not have one to hand when I decided to build this one.
Attachments
IMG_7305.JPG
IMG_7306.JPG
IMG_7307.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Happy Christmas to you all and a happy modelling New Year, in fact all year.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Happy Christmas to you too Dave - and how appropriate to have finished a Dia. 25 in time for Christmas Day! :D
Chas
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Over the Christmas period I've managed to finish several wagons, some may have been seen before but they have been weathered, couplings, missing brakes buffers etc added, roofs made transfers done.
NER perishables van Dia F4 92250 started in 2003.
NER Perishables van Dia F9 42235 started in 2014.
LNER Toad B built last summer and from the last batch built if I remenber correctly.
Attachments
Dia F4.JPG
Dia F9.jpg
IMG_7313.jpg
IMG_7314.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Various LNER vans, and a NER V1 Guards van, this has been repainted, rewheeled it was still EM gauge, one of my last EM models.
It was bought when the kit was released and was built with a new roof at the time, it has been detailed as the MRJ article over Christmas.
Attachments
IMG_7318.jpg
IMG_7311.jpg
IMG_7319.JPG
IMG_7312.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Excellent. Physical modelling, by hand - very obviously trumps something drawn on a computer, not actually turned into physical reality, but mis-called a "model"...

One question Dave: Toad B but with metal duckets? Not a Toad E then?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

That's a nice collection of wagons, I do like those perishables wagons.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Graeme and Manna for your kind comments.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Since the last bulletin I've been slowly getting on with a few things.
Another 2 wagons completed a van and an open, then some progress on the bogie front for the North British Dia 124B swivel bolster.
Plus work has started on a ECJS Dia 79 Composite Dining Car, this is a Mr King job and has been fitted with Mike Trice roof vents. This has sat looking at me for several years, I still have to find the bogies and carriage ends, which are in a safe place somewhere.
All I need are some GNR style buffers all the other gubbins I can make.
I have also just got back from a trip to Germany playing on the Harz narrow gauge railway and a trip on the dingle dangle railway at Wuppertal.
Attachments
IMG_7320.JPG
IMG_7321.JPG
IMG_7366.JPG
IMG_7370.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

part 2
Attachments
IMG_7369.JPG