Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Thought I would update you all on the slow progress of Trestrol Mk2.
I've been too busy with other things of late to do much modelling, still working on my daughters house.
Anyway I've altered the thing a lot since the last photos, I had altered the side plates on one side when I
realised the lettering went over them....doh, should have checked but I remembered I had a problem
placing the lettering on the first one. So with this new info, out with the razor saw and cut cut, a new end from the
bits left over, then the other end I just cut the side and replaced that. you can see all the cuts infilled with white 10thou
Plastic to make up the blade thickness, clever I thought.
Also added the bases for the shackles and other bits, including the ends of the girders that show on the ends the pics show it all better I hope.
Attachments
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A very patient piece of re-working Dave.

Is it reassuring in these difficult times to know that some things can be relied upon, such as the rule that says that any given job will take several times as long as you might ever have imagined?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Atlantic, the motivation to build this quickly disapeared when we could not visit Scottiedogs layout due to covid anyway I have moved it along again.
When working on it I noticed it was a bit weak, in fact I snapped it in half down one of the cuts, glued back together you can't tell
so nothing lost. Whilst looking at the GA drawing I noticed the top of the longitudinal girders had 4 plates, the Triang model only has 2.
The answer to strengthing the model....add the top plate, which also hides the edge strip, so off with the shackle bases, top plate added,
new shackles added. Also the bogie pivots were made, these are 4ba countersunk screws reduced in length to miss the axle, reduced thickness nut
brass tube sleeve and a washer, then the plastic cover was made. Just need to add another of Pauls label clips and number plates, a good clean up of filler and it should be ready to paint. Then the trestle to be made, but I need to buy some angle for that to happen.
Attachments
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I got some plastic T section and cut off one side, and now the tressle is finished, not much left to do
before it's all painted.
Attachments
IMG_0502.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Deja vue? Still nice though.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

It is deja vue Graeme, I have not described this in detail but anyone who wants to see the original and how I built it then around page 53 I think is your place.
Anyway talking of the original Trestrol here are some pics of the old one and the new one, the new one is in primer and still needs some filling and some holes cutting in the platework. The old one is included to show the load the new one will carry, I'm quite pleased with the way it's turned out, Graeme will be pleased it's from his county. They should look good having a run on Mr Scott's layout when bumbling boris get's his act together and finally decides what we are not allowed to do next year.
Attachments
TRESTROLS.jpg
TRESTROL LOAD.jpg
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Very nice Dave,

I look forward to seeing them in the flesh at some point.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Rob.
The Trestrol bogies have had a coat of Halfords satin black and then rubbed down where required ready for a final coat when the final details have been added. On the main body I removed the plastic shackle eyes and replaced them with some Roxey brass eyes I found.....much stronger, then fitted some 51L shackles, and the bogie oil pots. The body has had a spray coat of German Panzer grey followed by a bit of extra cleaning and is waiting a bit of grey touch up then transfers.

Last October around page 56 I did some work on my D49...............well I have done some more, I have completed fitting the splasher plates and started applying rivets to them, it's getting ready for a coat of primer, so the safety valves and whistle have been removed, they will be lost in a year.
Attachments
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Pauls number plates fitted to Trestrol, transfers started, so far just the N's, but amazingly I built this in the last 2 days over new year, a 3H LNER 6 plank open wagon. It's from the last batch built at Darlington 1929, but finished as just out of works following a repaint.
Attachments
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Well done Dave for your past 2 day's work. Obviously still unable to get the timber to complete (start?) the house renovations as previously discussed.

Graeme
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

A quick update, not a lot has happened really been too busy shooting Germans on my playstation.

First up some shelf orphans that have been finished, a 3H LNER van, a Hornby NER Reefer converted to late 30's condition for meat traffic, I think 8 were done. Then the 2 Hull and Barnsley vans weathered, all these were started a way back and are on here somewhere. Anyway 4 more wagons finished.

Next the other Hornby ex NER F10 was started to go with the H&B vans. Roof rails hand rails and buffers added, ladder removed and a pair of new ladders made. If you are interested, I made them by drawing out the ladder on paper, then using doublesided tape I laid 2 sides down using .4 ns wire then added the rungs using .33 ns wire and finally a top side of .4 ns wire, all soldered together. the sides infilled with solder, just needs filing and bending to shape.
Attachments
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

As mention in last post, the ladder.
Attachments
IMG_0542.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I think I cheated when I made my ladders for the same purposes, just putting the rungs to the rear. Yours is more authentic. I decided life wasn't long enough...

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I do like the ladder Dave, most effective. I would never have thought of doing it like that.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

That's ok Rob I hope it works for you.

I had not realised it had be so long since the last dull update, so here is another dull update.
1. The ladder was further worked on and more solder filling added.
2. Fixed to the wagon.
3. The finished van, now weathered. I think for a small outlay these wagons can be made into quite nice models that look like the prototype bearing in mind they started life as toys.
Attachments
IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG