Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Good evening Rogirby.
I don't have any of my books with me at the moment so can't say till the weekend, but I'm sure there is a pic of a post war wagon in vol 2 of LNER wagons. Someone else may be able to help before then.
Thank you for your comments.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Rogirby.
Now that I'm back from my Jersey trip, mainly to see the excellent air show, I've had a look for info, and found in Mr Tatlows book Vol 2 of LNER Wagons
a ref that a few of the Dia 21 wagons were recorded in the 1947 census (Dec 31st), so yes some did last into BR days, but I would think not for long.

If anyone is interested the Jersey show is well worth making the journey for, with a number of aircraft types I had not seen before.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Update on the wagons.
H&B wagons started to be painted.
The open wagon is a Bill Bedford 5 plank GNR coal wagon, now built and being painted.
These are quick kits to build, once you realise where the bits go as typical Bill no instructions,
a bit like dealing with ladies...............
Attachments
IMG_4114.JPG
IMG_4115.JPG
IMG_4116.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Things are still moving, the GNR wagon is in the final stages, just need to find a number for it.

I jumped the queue a bit and could not wait any longer, it's a fault of mine too many half finished projects......a pair of NER hoppers which will be empty, so the detail, one will have 1923 style hopper doors. I know they are a compromise the Slaters base is not stepped but I did not want to make a full new one. The divisions are now correctly spaced.

Sorry for the poor quality photos.
Attachments
IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG
IMG_4118.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Severe detailing!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:16 pm Severe detailing!
But excellent!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Why thank you chaps, in my haste to get it assembled I forgot the vertical internal strapping, but fear not I have some fitted now, a bit of a faff, I could use a small childs fingers (can I say that).
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

You turn out so beautiful wagons, one day I'll get round to replacing some of my very old RTR wagons. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:37 pm You turn out so beautiful wagons, one day I'll get round to replacing some of my very old RTR wagons. :D
Very much seconded! 8)
Steve
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you both for your kind comments.

Here is the wagon with the internal strapping being added that I forgot, plus the corner bracing
in 0.3 brass wire, which I did remember and had pre drilled the holes.
The GNR wagon is now complete and fully lettered, just needs weathering, and one of the H&B vans has the lettering started.
When I viewed the pics they were blurred.
Attachments
IMG_4123.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Bills GNR wagon has been weathered just a bit of rust to add and I think it is finished.
Whilst painting weathering I moved the NER stores van along after a long layoff, it's
started to be lightly weathered as I want the faded blue to be prominent.
Attachments
IMG_4577.JPG
IMG_4578.JPG
IMG_4581.JPG
IMG_4583.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The NER stores van is now finished, I'm pleased with the finish.
The mkII hopper is progressing now that the mkI is awaiting painting. The difference between the two, is
I have built a new floor with recessed doors so everything sits at the correct height and I've added internal handrails.
Attachments
IMG_4620.JPG
IMG_4621.JPG
IMG_4618.JPG
IMG_4622.JPG
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Dave brought his latest creations to Wakefield Show. They are magnificent models.

We shall have to photograph the stores van on Grantham.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you John, it was a pleasure to bring them, I'm always surprised at the comments as I just see the faults.
Anyway onwards and downwards, the mkI hopper is primed and the mk2 body is nearly complete, just the hopper door bits and the under pinnings to add.
When building these I'm sure the sides are not symmetrical, I had forgotten how easy it is to get the wheels slued when fitting the w irons fortunately I used a jig.
On the mk2 I'm going to do some checking to see if I'm right, it just maybe down to the fit of the sides which is not brilliant, but then it's a very old kit.

I need to get these out of the way as my triplet set needs moving on and some carriage building urge seems to be in need of satisfying.
Attachments
IMG_4637.JPG
IMG_4641.JPG
IMG_4638.JPG
IMG_4640.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The mkI hopper has it's identity now, a 1909 build, originally numbered A866 & renumbered by the LNER, I've also started on the interior weathering, but not the exterior as I'm waiting for a parcel of new buffers from Mr Franks who has started to make buffers for this hopper kit.
Rivets started on the mkII.......... yawn.
Attachments
IMG_4651.JPG
IMG_4652.JPG
IMG_4653.JPG