Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Right, some of you may remember way back in the mists of time, before all this brexit nonsense, in a time of innocence, in fact Sunday May 13th 2012 (page 4) I announced a long term project (over winter) to upgrade a Hornby D49 to 2758 Northumberland, or you may not. Well I did an update 29th Dec 2013 (page 30), Humorist has got no further by the way. So a comment about leaving my D49 bits at Tony Wrights may have made some of you aware that progress was afoot....but probably not.
Well I have kept the cyls, bogie and motor/gearbox from that build and scrapped the chassis, it got bent by something heavy being stored on it, so earlier this year I got a new chassis etch and progress has restarted. so we have a new square free running chassis. I am now doing all the waggley dangley bits that connect the wheels to the cyls.
It's got further than the last update so progress indeed.
Attachments
IMG_6995.JPG
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

See you on Sunday, but be warned I’m bringing a very big chisel and an even larger hammer! Indeed the word sledgehammer comes to mind.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Morning Scottiedog.
Does that mean I'm going to be chiselled like Thirsk, will be nice to see you again and the usual mob of reprobates on Sunday.
Will you accept dollars/euro's instead of pounds.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

D49.
Wiring being added to chassis, work progressing on the body.
Whilst ordering some wheels for a J39 from Markits I got a D49 chimney and dome, so orf with the plastic ones,
the new ones are just plonked on at the moment, looks a lot better I think, buffers and pipe removed from boiler ready for a bit of rod.
The body still needs some more smoothing down where bits removed years ago. Buffers will be from Mr Franks LMS
range when I see him on Sunday.

Anybody built one of these chassis and can supply a pic of how/where brake pull rod goes ? please.
Attachments
IMG_6996.JPG
IMG_6999.JPG
IMG_7000.JPG
IMG_7002.JPG
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Dave,
Never built the kit, but checking the green books, the brakes are activated by cross rods which are like those on most GNR locos
after Ivatt, and those rods would have either a central pull rod, or one on either side inside the frames.
I think I have seen a drawing in my collection so will try to check it later if it will help?

Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Cheers Paul that would be helpful. l think it should have one central pull but not sure as 2 are provided on the etch,
so I'm probably wrong.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Based on other things I have seen, and drawn,
I would suggest the following

Two rods between the driving wheels then one from the vac cylinder to the back cross shaft.

Certainly that is how for instance the C12, or D2/3/4 work. albeit on the Ivatt 4-4-0's the rod is
outside the wheels.

Give me a couple of days please?
Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

For you Paul, you can have a couple of hours.

El Dave the merciful.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The D49s were built at Darlington,weren't they? I'd guess they'd follow NER practice, whatever that is.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

They do Jonathan, so I have found out.

Many thanks for the help and prototype info provided by Paul (John Coffin and Mike Trice much appreciated.
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

Dave,

If you have Yeadon Vol 10, there's a really useful picture of 62703 lying on its side in Bridlington's turntable pit (p65). If you haven't, PM me and I'll scan it for you.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you for your very kind offer UpDistant but Mike Trice sent me that picture today.
Brake gear being assembled.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

I had not taken in that photo before, so very interested to see and understand.

I wonder how they managed to ensure that the two sets of brakes were pulled in a straight
way from each side, since you have two sets of links which have wear possibilities.
No wonder Ivatt only trusted two rods for each axle.

Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Who's this Ivatt chap you keep talking about Paul, do you mean Sir Vincent Litchfield Raven by any chance :)
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

cough splutter, spits as that name passes in front of his eyes :twisted:

Like many I think Henry Ivatt is one of the least well known and respected Loco Engineers in Victorian/ Edwardian
Railways, and laid many of the foundations that allowed HNG to produce what he did. I mean tough acts to follow
and lead into with Stirling one side, and HNG at other!

As for Mr Raven, anyone named after a town in the midlands who works for the North Eastern Railway must have a problem :roll:

I think the two Ivatt Atlantic passenger locos certainly outscored the Raven ones in performance and looks

Now super-heater tubes at dawn methinks :lol:

Paul