Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Well I've made the rest of the heavy duty bogies for the triplet set and progressed the Trestrol.
On the Trestrol front I've added strip to the sided to indicate a beam flange, added upright strips to the inside,
drilled drainage holes, added infills with cut outs over the bogie areas and started cutting out the rear holes to the rear infills.
Shackle points fixed and some 51L shackles fitted. Just need some more wheels from Colin at Alan Gibsons, on order but not arrived yet
to complete the bogies. I have drawn out the trestles based on the Trestrol B, could be fiddly to build.
I'm working on the reserve second Trestrol in case I bugger it up, know doubt the other one will not be finished............
Attachments
IMG_6270.JPG
IMG_6271.JPG
IMG_6273.JPG
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Looking good Dave,

I wonder if I could create something similar with my trusty cutter...
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Rob.

I think you could it's just big I sections really. Do you want the drawings ?.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Rob, drawings sent, the usual way, happy cutting.
Triplet - sides cut out and soldered together, just need hinge holes drilling etc and then the turnunder can be formed.
Trestrol C - body primed, and a start on the trestles, 2 formed and bits cut for 2 more so far, a bit tedious and fiddly, waiting for more wheels to come
from Mr Gibsons factory.

A find at the weekend, some heavy duty bogies with wheels and bearings £5....can't go wrong. Very nice mouldings.
Attachments
IMG_6329.JPG
IMG_6335.JPG
IMG_6334.JPG
IMG_6331.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Trestrol C - Trestle propped in position to see how it will look.

Triplet - Battery boxes fixed to 1st class underframe, 3rd class underframe being corrected, part of the under bits removed so far, it got very hot from the iron. I've had to invert the GA drawing to check locations and make sure my suspision was correct.
Attachments
IMG_6336.JPG
IMG_6338.JPG
IMG_6339.JPG
IMG_6340.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Work progresses on the triplet, dynamos and vac pipes to add. I have also started the tiresome task of drilling the holes for the hinges.
Why are these holes and the ones for the handles etc not included, makes MJT kits a dream.
Attachments
Triplet.jpg
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

Dave,

I will confess to not having read the entire thread as it relates to the TRESTROL but, having done the exercise myself; (though not in so great detail); I take it that you are aware that the Tri-ang bogies are under-length.
IMG_4647 very small.JPG
IMG_4651 very small.JPG
IMG_4652 very small.JPG
IMG_4654 very small.JPG
If possible, I would welcome a copy of your trestle drawings, please; I chickened out when I did my conversion.

Regards,
John Isherwood.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

John
Thanks for the info on the bogie, I have not checked it against the bogie ga I have, but then the model is based on a Triang wagon. If I was to build a proper version there would be many minor mods and some big ones. I will send you all the drawings I have for this, but it will be next week when I get back to work. You will see from the ga drawing that this model can only be a broad brush thing.

I have seen your model sometime ago on Herculean Dock (is that spelt right) and was impressed. I've always liked the wagon since getting one in the sixties.

The trestles are made from cut down Evergreen T section, one side removed, the trestle is very close to the original but is based on a trestrol B trestle, I could not find a C version. The Parkside trestles are not suitable as mentioned on Tony Wrights pages.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

"I have seen your model sometime ago on Herculean Dock (is that spelt right) and was impressed."

Not mine - my models don't travel.

The cut & shut to lengthen the bogies is not difficult - well worth it if you can be bothered.

Thanks for the offer of the drawings - much appreciated; let me know if you need a set of BR transfers for your model.

Regards,
John.
Last edited by cctransuk on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Herculaneum Dock (if that's what we mean here) is Mike Edge's layout and I think the stock comes from members of the Leeds club. Barry Oliver may well be the owner, or will know whose it is. In fact, when I think about it, it's quite likely to be Nick Easton as he has a bit of a thing for that kind of wagon and has done etches for a number of Midland and LNWR examples.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Sorry John I did think it was yours, so it was Mike Edge's, thanks Jonathan, my memory....I even left my D49 chassis bits at Little Bytham according to Tony.

Now I'm at work I will get the drawings together and send them to you John.
Thank you for your offer of transfers, but mine is pre BR, I had thought LNER but that means lettering the full LNER, so I'm thinking LMS it's a lot simpler.

Anyway the trestle, as interest has been expressed on how I build these here are the boring details, get the cattle prod ready.
They are all made from Evergreen Plastic "T" section number 762 with one side cut off to form an unequal "L".
Photo 1 - the basic template lettered both sides A, B, & C which shows how the angles are on one side, they are handed to make a pair and it gets confusing.
Photo 2 - leg A cut.
Photo 3 - all legs cut
Photo 4 - the general arrangement showing the basic layout and how the angles work.

It is difficult photographing white plastic, my apologies.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
Last edited by Dave on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

To continue.
Photo 5 - shows all the bits for one trestle frame with all the gusset plates, these are simplified and will be trimmed when glued in place.
Photo 6 - the basic trestle glued up
Photo 7 - the completed trestle.
To complete 1 trestle you need a handed version that is glued to this one, it is the same but with no gusset plates, then a timber face plate is added. So 4 trestle frames make a pair and so on, it will become clear as I make more, but I'm waiting for another packet of "T" to come, I've run out.
On photo 1 you can see a pair in the top left.
Attachments
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
jrg1
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by jrg1 »

I discovered your article on the Tri-Ang trestrol, and quite enjoyed your description. I am doing the same, and lengthened my model the same way. I have MJT six-wheel bogies for P4, and am scratching the bogie sideframes from brass.

I cannot get files onto the reply; I have the MRC 10/58 drawings and article for this vehicle if you are interested.

Regards
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Trestrol C.

John Isherwood of Cambridge Custom Transfers (who is on here as cctransuk) very kindly offered to supply the transfers for the LNER
version, details where sent to him and these beautiful transfers landed on my doorstep. Many thanks John for your very kind offer, aren't people wonderful.

Over the weekend I progressed the trestles, in order to space them I used a full length angle at the front and a full
length channel at the rear, these will be cut back as required, the front angle has been trimmed to suit. I got a spray
can of Tamiya German Grey to finish the wagon in, you can't beat a bit of panzer grey. I like to vary the shades of paint I use
as in reality it was all mixed by hand in the paint shop until just before the war.

Sunday was spent in the company of many good friends at Thirsk Model Railway Show. The upstairs room was populated by several,
the Abbott and Costello act of Greame King and Jonathan Wealleans, plus Rob Pulham and Chris, it was a shame Peter was seperated from us
in the other half of the room. Jonathan and I got chiselled by Scottiedog again, and it was nice to catch up with David Geen, plus many more,
a real social event.
Rob I remembered it all I hope, drawings should be with you today.
Attachments
IMG_6563.JPG
IMG_6565.JPG
IMG_6560.JPG
IMG_6561.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Jrg1.
Sorry I missed your post, yes I would like to see the article, I have tried to find it.
I have the LMS GA drawing, plus the bogie drawings if you would like them.