Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Welcome.

I've decided to do this to show anybody who has misgivings about building a brass carriage kit (because I know I had) that given a blue moon and a uncorrupt MP it's not as bad as it seems. Never having built one of these contraptions before, and like many others, I have always been put off by the thought of forming the curves on the body.
Mike Trice persuaded me to have a go with his recommendations of a D10C 1st class restaurant car or a D113 luggage brake,and the imortal words - less doors are best to start with.
So as a sucker for a challenge I purchased both kits.

Now having done this I will have to complete somthing, so onwards and downwards.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Here are the bits for the D10C
Attachments
D10C 01.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I got MJT part 2819 compartment doors as listed on the Dart Castings site...now I see you don't need them...a D10C does not have sliding doors, oh well.

Here are the main etches.
Attachments
D10C 02 FLOOR PAN ETCHES.JPG
D10C 03 ETCHED SIDES.JPG
D113 01.JPG
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

An uncorrupt MP? :lol: I take it you gave up the search and decided to JFDI?

I shall follow this with interest. I've always wondered about coachbuilding....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well you can see I've managed to form the turnunder on the D113 on the pic above, and the D10c is rolled. I could not believe how easy it was to roll, I don't know why the thought of it has put me off for so many years. There are many different methods that have been described in the modelling press over the years for forming the turnunder, you just choose which one may suit you. I used some timber dowel and rolled the etches on a newspaper on the kitchen worktop. The etch mate I got some years ago and find it an indispensable bit of kit, especially for forming side skirts for King Tigers. With hind sight it was a bit to small for forming the top bend, but with a bit of care it worked out ok.
Attachments
D10C 04 1st BEND.JPG
D10C 05 SIDE A.JPG
D113 02.JPG
D113 03.JPG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Dave wrote:Here are the bits for the D10C
Does Mike J T still get commission from the products he designed, and that he recommended you to buy... :wink:

All the best with the build - I will be expecting a write-up for the Newsletter.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks BB and 65447.
I don't know if Mike gets any commission, but I hope he does, they are simply beautifully designed etches.

An article...................hhhhelp
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

D10C lower body panels added to main body etch, again these went on easily, you just have to ensure the panels are cleaned up around the edges to remove the cusp and set square and level in the aperture. It's easy to have one sitting proud. I soldered each one in turn holding it inplace with a bit of blue tack on the body face. A small dab of solder, then check nothing has moved....it can beleave me, then solder round the panel.
Attachments
D10C 06 SIDE A.JPG
D10C 07 SIDE B.JPG
D10C 08 BOTH SIDES.JPG
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

looking good Dave, that reminds me I have one of Mike's D114's almost finished in a drawer somewhere....
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Dave wrote:I don't know if Mike gets any commission, but I hope he does, they are simply beautifully designed etches.
Sadly not. Watching with interest ;-)
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Dave wrote:It's easy to have one sitting proud. I soldered each one in turn holding it inplace with a bit of blue tack on the body face. A small dab of solder, then check nothing has moved....it can beleave me, then solder round the panel.
A few wooden clothes pegs are useful. The other dodge I used was to have a length of round edged skirting to lay the side on and lightly press the panel in place whilst soldering.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Very nice Dave but oh so fiddly! Think I'll stick to building them out of teak lol.

Sawdust.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

sawdust wrote:Very nice Dave but oh so fiddly! Think I'll stick to building them out of teak lol.

Sawdust.
I have heard of people going "O" gauge when their eyesight goes. You have just taken it to extremes ;-) Cannot complain of the quality of the 12" to 1' models you produce though. Impressed with your scratchbuilt beaver tail observation car.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

MikeTrice wrote:
sawdust wrote:Very nice Dave but oh so fiddly! Think I'll stick to building them out of teak lol.

Sawdust.
I have heard of people going "O" gauge when their eyesight goes. You have just taken it to extremes ;-) Cannot complain of the quality of the 12" to 1' models you produce though. Impressed with your scratchbuilt beaver tail observation car.
Here is the latest prototype!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11386395232 ... xwY3SVHG5n

Sawdust.
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

sawdust wrote: Here is the latest prototype!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11386395232 ... xwY3SVHG5n

Sawdust.
Beautiful. I particularly like the scaled up ScaleScenes shed. Must have taken a lot of A4 sheets.

Dave, sorry for going off topic. I will keep quiet now until the next instalment.