Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Thank you Graeme, I would have missed it. As Jonathan says you were with me when I bought it and
you spotted the miss formed roof.

Stephen. As Graeme has posted the link to the chap who printed the kit, I thought I would give an update and quick review.
The original roof was miss printed and was replaced by the kit maker. The printed replacement roof didn't fit at all well, so I replaced it with a formed
plasticard version as shown in the photo's below.
The kit includes all the bits to make it, but I didn't use them all.
1 = Buffers replaced with Mr Franks cast ones which are a lot better representation of the real thing, than the printed versions supplied.
2 = "W" Irons, brass etched as supplied were rubbish and were too narrow to take the wheels when folded up. Replaced with MJT versions.
3 = Printed springs and axleboxs, were replaced with cast versions 51L I think, as the printed springs looked tiny and spindley to my eye.
4 = My drawing showed a internal division so I added one with body side support from plastic strip and sheet.
5 = I added brass etch strapping and some body supports below the door.
6 = I used the kits brass etched brake gear and levers, but may replace the levers in time as they are very thin and delicate.
The body printing is very good, but due to the cost of the kit and the bits that had to be discarded as not fitting or fit for purpose I would not buy any more as it really came down to the body print being the only thing worth using.
If you want a K1 then use the 51L kit unless someone else makes one in the future.
Attachments
20230109_194705.jpg
20230109_194741.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:36 pm I can confirm the above as i was with Dave (as were you, Graeme) on the occasion he bought it.
Good to know that I can still remember relatively new things correctly, even if I slipped up in respect of "misremebered" oval buffers on the B3/3 rebuild...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

Thanks for the replies Dave, Graeme and Jonathan.
I had come across Marc’s site before and suspected the K1 might be from that stable. As I am modelling the Carlisle area there are several products on there that are tempting. Your critique of the cattle wagon is very helpful. The body does look very nice indeed, but I was surprised that other elements were not to your liking. I will skip the K1 as I do have a couple of the white metal kits and instead order a couple of the other wagons in the site. Marc’s new GNSR van is a new tooling so I might go with that among others.

I am following your H4 build with interest and look forward to seeing it finished. The other kits and rtr mods on this thread have been great to follow over the years. I used to visit occasionally and then got out of the way of checking it and it’s been great to sign up and revisit the modelling you guys have been doing. The 3D printing possibilities have rekindled my modelling mojo which had failed for a while.

Are you aware of Sascha Freudenberg’s prints? He is primarily into N gauge and especially early container transport. He has recently released his latest models, two varieties of LNER steel container. He was kind enough to send me some photos of his resin prints and some trial .stls of them before he uploaded the final version. I think Sascha checks this board out from time to time. He has made some great models and has been working on some LMS meat containers with me. Now when I say that, I mean that he has done all the real work in drawing them up and I’ve just test printed a few in 4mm and given a bit of feedback. I hope these are of as much interest to you guys as they are to me and all credit to Sascha for making them freely available. They scale up nicely but my printer has been messing about of late so I cannot show you a good pic of them. The LMS version was almost identical just without the vents on the doors as far as I am aware.
https://www.printables.com/model/349082 ... iner-1-148

You should take a look at Sascha’s other prints on Thingiverse too.

Stephen
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The end step supports are made from Evergreen 102 strip (0.25 x 1.0mm)
in 3 stages as seen in the photo.
Attachments
20230109_115427.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Stephen.

Thank you for your kind comments, I think our posts crossed as I did not see it yesterday.

I have attached a poor photo of the spring/axlebox and the one I used, I used the cast version also becouse I wanted an oil box not a grease box,plus the buffer which I didn't use as the printed head was a very odd shape and I didn't have any metal heads at the time.
I'm not aware of Sascha Freudenberg’s prints but thanks for mentioning I intend to check it out, containers for the big 4 are something sadly lacking.

I am having the bogies 3d printed and just awaiting them to arrive, the photo's certainly look very good of the test prints.

When you start printing will you be doing a list ?.

On the H4 I've started to apply rivets...........
Attachments
20230111_144530.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I have just had the postman drop a package off, a set of superb H4 bogies printed for me by Floyd Kraemer.
I sent him the bogie GA drawing and some photo's and Paul said he could print them. The attached photo's don't do them justice
the quality of the printing is extremely good. The axle box cover has NER and the journal size on them, not that we will ever be able
to read this when running.
Attachments
20230112_124516.jpg
20230112_130946.jpg
20230112_131002.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

He has recently released his latest models, two varieties of LNER steel container.
Fantastic, something which has been required for a long time. I've asked a friend to print me one and will report in due course. You can't accurately model the 1930s container traffic without these.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

A quick update.
Riveting progress indeed, plus a delivery of buffers from Mr Franks in the shape of some
LNER 2 rib buffers BO36. These have been fitted to the ends, they are very similar to the NER version
except the head on the GA drawing shows them to be slightly oval in shape, and these are round...........who will notice.
Attachments
20230112_130003.jpg
20230112_125938.jpg
20230112_125943.jpg
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Interesting buffers Dave, never seen any like that before: what was their purposes and were they fitted to other vehicles?
Chas
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Chaz
Attached part of the H4 GA drawing which shows the buffers. I understand they were used when a heavy duty buffer was required.
I imagaine there was a fair weight in these wagons when the 2 tanks were full.
The buffers I used according to Mr Franks info are LNE/LMS/BR cast frame, bogie bolster D & bobplate E. I have used them on several wagons I have built in the past.

Hope that helps.

Edit; forgot to add photo.
Attachments
LNER Drwg 7608D buffer.JPG
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Thanks Dave - I shall leaf through some books over the weekend and see if I can spot some in use...
Chas
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The NER Road Van used them, I have them fitted on my model.

Similar here

https://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk/blog/?cat=64
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Ah - then one way or another, I too shall be using them in due course! :D
Chas
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

Hi folks,
I'm just getting you a dose of the flu and then covid, all very mild thankfully, so I have not got back to the office to get my printer yet. HopefulIy I will be in tomorrow. I had a quick look at Sascha's steel containers again and I see he has now modelled the LMS variant too. In addition, he has even set up a word file with the lettering for those who can print their own transfers. Superb.
I also see that he has transferred all his prints over to the Prusa site now from Thingiverse. https://www.printables.com/model/295653 ... iner-1-148 is the link to his other containers which include lashed versions of the models for securing to conflats. I had no luck with these lashed versions when trying to print on my S1 with a .4mm nozzle, but have not tried it yet with the .2mm. The A container with wooden end is suitable for LMS and LNER models. In fact they should all be suitable for the 1930s or 40s. My prints of the diminutive H type cam out really well event with a .4mm nozzle. The lifting eyes printed with the hole in the middle at 0.05mm resolution. The other containers come out well at 0.05 to 0.12 but the layer height is more noticeable in the roof at 0.12. In fact these were among my very first prints and helped convince me I had not wasted hard earned cash on my S1 instead of getting a resin printer. I'd prefer a resin machine for the quality but the space, mess, less wastage, temperature issues and smell made me go for an FDM machine to begin with. I can have it printing in my bedroom rather than needing an outdoor facility for a resin machine.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Stephen thanks for the interesting update on printing and the link, a most useful site.
Please feel free to keep us updated and pleas post some photos I would love to see how you get on with home printing.

I've been far to busy going too the Blue Bell on several social evenings of late to do much on the H4, but the riveting is ongoing.
Photo attached.
The dirty grey tint to the cream sides is over spray from the grey interiour, it makes it look very dirty.
Attachments
20230123_113123.jpg