Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Robpulham »

Vey nice Dave,

I do like the lamps and fillers, my kind of details.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Rob.

The H4 is nearly finished, lettering is complete, just vac cyl, door handles to fit and weathering to do.
I was out of turned brass door handles and Scottiedog very kindley sent me some, thanks.

He also supplied at Harrogate 3 ABS NER/LNER ex WD rectanks, 2 with jacks and one without. I have made
the carring box for the jacks on the one without, and they all just need transfers and the wood painting grey, as
weathered wood is grey and not brown.

I was asked the other day how I formed the roof on the H4. I cold form it from 2 layers of 10thou plastic card glued
together. I use a cutting mat with a strip of picture frame mountboard taped to it. I place the plastic aligned with
the grid on the mat and just lapped onto the card, then the blue ball thing is run along the plastic pressing it into the
step, move the plastic and repeat until you have formed the roof profile. I always make it tighter as is easier to spread it
to the correct curve when glueing it on the formers. You can also use the curved end of a Swan Morton scalple handle.
Hope that helps, it's an old method and a lot of you will use it already.
Attachments
20230316_135823(1).jpg
20230315_142329.jpg
20230317_202751.jpg
20230316_135937.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well as you may have seen on Jonathans pages the H4 van was finished and given a day out in sunny Middlesborough.
Scottiedog had a running day on his layout and Jonathan and I took this opporunity to run some of our stock.
The H4 was joined for this trip by it's older brother the H3 stores van, the H3 last ran on Little Bytham a couple of years ago and
I was amazed they both ran fine, just a little back to back alteration to a wheel on the H4. In the picture with the signal box you can see
Jonathans Dick tank, a GWR Beaver and the Ann Summers container, so much for smutty remarks from the assembled.
Attachments
Jonathans parcels train passing the stores vans
Jonathans parcels train passing the stores vans
Jonathan, Scottiedog and Paul playing
Jonathan, Scottiedog and Paul playing
Paul looking on wondering about Dick and Beaver
Paul looking on wondering about Dick and Beaver
Dick, Beaver and Ann Summers
Dick, Beaver and Ann Summers
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

As already mentioned on Jonathans and Graemes pages they are at York show on Monday manning the LNER Soc stand. As they have mentioned I'm there on Sunday and doing a guest appearance on Monday. Please come and say hello and open your wallets and take the LNER Soc oath....help your self......which we will.

The next project......any ideas, it's NER based.
Attachments
20230323_152616.jpg
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I do like the 'faded' and 'unfaded' stores vans.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Caroline.

The wagon is a Pooley's weighing machine testing van Dia U17.
Not sure which one yet as they were
0215 of 1908
68, 69, 2259 & 22706 of 1910
8375, 2013, 4508 of 1911
38205 of 1912.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Those two bogie vans pictured above look even better in the flesh, I must say...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Graeme.
I think we all had a most enjoyable day yesterday, I know I did. The pudding is going to be devoured by some grandkids this lunchtime.
Hope you and Jonathan plus wives all got home safely.
Thanks to all who stopped and chatted on Sunday and Monday, and Sir who made us all larf.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Definitely a weekend to enjoy and we're all waiting for Mrs. W's attempt on the recipes you sent.

Were Pooley vans built to their own diagrams, or adapted from those of the different railway companies? I've just seen a picture of a Great Western one on FB and apart from outside framing in places it looks remarkably similar to yours.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Jonathan.
I don't think there was a standard design of Pooleys van as such, but they probably has a specification or requirement of what they required. The railway companies would then provide vehicles that best suited that requirement. I hope someone who has better info will enlighten us. I have no idea what happend on the LMS or SR, but on the GWR their Dia CC1 and CC2 seem to be based on an Iron Mink, fitted with windows, rooflights and a pair of narrow doors. Dia CC5 was based on the V12 van again with windows, rooflights and narrow doors. There was also a Dia V11 van (18'-0'' WB) converted for use. I don't know how many vans the GWR had or how long they lasted. So the GWR seemed to convert existing stock and the NER built new.
I trust that has muddied the waters
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I was going to offer that the NBR used their 8 ton Jubilee vans as the basis then fitted windows and steps but having looked at my model it's 'Avery' rather than 'Pooley' so it may not be relevant.

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Rob, a very nice model.

Where did you get the livery details from and that they were grey. I had a discussion with David on the NERA stand at York at the weekend, and we concluded that grey or blue would be the colour, with our thoughts being more towards blue.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

If you have a photo, Dave, try it in an online colouriser. That'll give you a hint of what it might have been.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Jonathan.

My photo is of a NER liveried van, I was wanting LNER mid 30's. I might anyway, thanks for the idea.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

There's a photo online of one at Beccles in the 1950s. That colourises as red, which I think would be right fo rEngineering stock by then. Extending that logic back would point to blue in LNER days, but it's all a bit speculative.