Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Touché, but you will never get away with it...prepare to repel boarders...how do you repel boarders....stop changing the bed linen, long live the Goons.
On a lighter note the usual gang of reprobates met at expoEM on Sunday in sunny warm Wakefield (it won't last you know), things were exchanged for money, and my dealer seemed happy, thank you Scottiedog. Thanks to Vernon Harrod for sorting out a problem with my valve gear on the D49, which happened quite by chance. Mr King brought his exceptional ECJS restaurant car. A great little show even though it was for the wide gauge mob, some of us oo plebs managed to get in past the doorman, looking forward to next years show, glad it's come back from Manchester.
Later I met Graeme Leary of this parish who had made the pilgrimage to the centre of the known universe all the way from New Zealand and was disappointed.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

next you will want to repeal boarders!!!!!!!

However could Graeme be disappointed in York, its only a few miles from the real centre of
the universe in Doncaster, even though the council is trying to ruin it all.
Blooming goons again, or more likely Kenneth Williams as Ceasar
"INFAMY THEY HAVE ALL GOT IT IN FOR ME"

Hat and coat I think

Paul
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

It's a Shambles. If you know where to look. I would be looking in the Minster Inn, The Maltings, The Ackhorne etc...

Good to see the 'usual gang' yesterday.

John
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Hi Dave,

It was a great pleasure finally meeting you (and imagine my glee at seeing you quote another of the great lines from Neddie, Spike and co). However I must correct any impression I may have given of being 'disappointed'. Never the case in and around York, or in fact any city/town/village/hamlet that happens to be situated in any of the Yorkshires. Although my grandfather emigrated to the colonies in about 1904 he came from Marsden in what I presume was then the West Riding but both Judy and I have a strong leaning to the North. (A quick tot up of where we've lain our heads shows some 75 different hotels/pubs around all parts of 'the' Yorkshires and we even planned our last night this trip in surely the greatest part of Britain, the Dales, before departing from Hull for Zeebrugge - so we strung out our Yorkshire stay to the max).

In the meantime I'll be doing my best to keep as close as possible portraying my little version of Yorkshire on my layout - so continue to expect rather esoteric questions to help achieve this (and thanks in anticipation to all who can shed light on any of my forthcoming queries).

Regards

Graeme
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Sorry it's been a few days since I put anything on here.
Not much modelling has taken place in that time but I have been on me holidays, to sunny Mallorca,
it was nice and hot and I changed colour to a shade of sh.te. The last time I was there was in 1973 with dear Mr Franco
clinging on to power for grim death, and Harold Wilson only allowing you to take £50 English pounds abroad (it was a lot of money in
those days by the way).
The high light for me apart from going with the family and the topless women on the beaches was the Palma/Soller electric
railway and the trams which run from Soller to Port Soller.
So attached a few travelogue pics to wet your appetite if you have not been, it's well worth the effort to ride on them and in beautiful
teak.
Some boring holiday snaps attached.
Attachments
IMG_7251.JPG
IMG_7300.JPG
IMG_7301.JPG
IMG_7341.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Anyway some modelling has been done.
The D49 has had a new chimney and dome with some plumbing added.
The chassis has been painted and brake gear added which I have made removable. Small tubes
fixed to the chassis take small pins fixed to the brake gear and can be sprung out for removal, I
think the pics explain.
Attachments
IMG_7741.JPG
IMG_7745.JPG
IMG_7749.JPG
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Interesting approach to a problem that has been troubling us all for ages, prototypical type brake gear,
but access to the motor and wheels for servicing.

Practical and sensible,
what are you doing wrong Dave, maybe the holiday softened your brain, too much sunshine will always
cause problems for those from north of Watford! :roll:
This is actually a sensible approach, and I might well steal it :twisted: :twisted:

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Spain years ago was cheap, my brother went for 10 days, package deal was something like 28 pounds :D Nice teak trams. doubt if I'll ever get to see them, but I do like your 0-2-0 tender engine.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's one of only two known 0-2-0 tender engines in captivity you know. The tank engine versions all fell victim to natural selection.

I rather like the look of a teak match-boarded vintage electric loco with proper pantographs too - none of those modern single-arm monstrosities. I saw parts of the Palma-Soller railway in the 70s when Spain still had the head-man in Madrid very firmly in charge (and tourists hooligans could find themselves in very hot water). What I don't remember clearly, if at all to be honest, is the appearance of the rolling stock, so it's nice to see the pictures.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Paul, you may be nearer the truth than you think, I thought of it whilst drinking a gin & tonic
on me sun lounger by the adult pool one afternoon whilst taking a break from the
family....you know bored, smoking a cheroot and wondering whether to dress for dinner, or
go naked and impress the ladies, I chose the former, it would have made the husbands jealous.
Anyway it seems to work a treat, attached a pic of it in place I forgot to include yesterday.
By all means use the idea...it's always feels good to help out the natives south of Watford,
poor things :lol: .

Thanks Manna, I think the tender will have to play a part in balancing the loco, but it should be fine.

Atlantic, it's a great shame the no 0-2-0 tender engines were saved, I hope this addresses the missing link.
I missed the railway in 1973 other things on my agenda as you will imagine for a 19 year old. I see they are
digging old Franco up again and moving him, no rest for the wicked :shock: .

I forgot to say the chimney and dome were fixed in position in the previous pics they were just placed.
Attachments
IMG_7738.JPG
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

I am confused Dave,
they let you into the adult area :twisted: :twisted:
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Now Dave - what were those mutterings last month about a possible trip to the colonies? I think these should be followed up as I have a Hornby D49 which is aching to be changed from a Hunt 'The Burton' to a Shire 'Yorkshire' (what else and I even have the name plates on hand). However having been deterred by earlier input on just what is needed to do this satisfactorily, it's been consigned to the 'too hard' basket. Your skills would make child's play of it. (And off course full board, all found, provided).

Graeme

PS: But don't expect to see the same type of topless women here as on the beach at Mallorca - for one thing you'll be too busy working on said conversion and the other, we're fairly prudish out here - it's our British upbringing, not like your fiery Latinos!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

How very dare you Paul, yes it's true I was let into the adult pool, under 18's not allowed.
My daughter was amazed too and made some derogatory remark...all water off a ducks rear you know.
It was nice to indulge in adult conversation instead of being jumped on by small humans intent in
dragging you under the water in the family pools.

Well Graeme it could be a very long stay as the D49 has had a very long build period so far, I think I started it back in 2013,
even you could do it quicker. A trip to the colonies is something I indent to do, but not next year, I'm thinking Big Boy and the Rockies
Don't you have topless sheep bathing in New Zealand ?.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

D49.
Small update a bit more done on the body, I found forming the front curves around the smokebox a real faff. I'm not sure I have it looking quite right yet. Strangely now I'm part time I seem to have less time to spend at the workbench
Attachments
IMG_7751a.jpg
IMG_7752a.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

As a bit of a break from the D49 and because I did not have time to set up the soldering iron etc, I decided
to move this Hornby carriage along a bit. I got it last year for £10 at a toy fair in York, it was in maroon BR livery,
so I thought at that price I don't mind if I bugger it up if it does not work out. Anyway I wanted to try for a old teak finish
so the base of maroon seemed a good start. Teak would age to a very dark colour some say like dark chocolate.
I had stripped in down very early on and it's been sat in the cupb'd ever since. It has had a couple of base coats
of various mixes to various panels, I think Vallejo orange brown, leather and flat brown mixed in various combinations.
The roof was like that when I got it as someone had tried to weather one side, badly.

I suppose I will have to move the triplet along now......oh the list of unfinished models, but a least you never get bored
and can dip in and out as you desire, and there are no time constraints to finishing things.
Attachments
IMG_7754.JPG
IMG_7753.JPG